Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have you tried "superfeet" inserts?

Posted by JoAnn V on 7/12/02 at 00:33 (089525)

I am thinking of trying these, are they any better or as good as powersteps? Or do you know of a better insert at a reasonable price? Thanks

Re: Have you tried "superfeet" inserts?

Ed Davis on 7/12/02 at 11:08 (089551)

Different pre-fab orthotics work better for different patients because no one pre-fabricated device can be shaped like all patient's feet. Superfeet are my favorite pr-fab devices.
Ed

John O. on 7/12/02 at 16:00 (089575)

I don't know if it is the shoe or the orthotic, but my foot feels worse when I have it in. I changed shoes, ditched the orthotic and feel much better. I know that different shoes fit differently for different people, but I can't begin to tell you how good my feet feel in my New Balance 854. Anyone else have these? I bought some Brooks running shoes too just in case the New Balance didn't work, but I have yet to try them.

Re: NB 854's

Carole C in NOLA on 7/12/02 at 16:19 (089577)

I had the NB 854, and my feet felt great in them too. They really fit well. However, they did some very peculiar things to my gait! In my 854's I was walking with my toes pointed outwards (laterally) about 60 degrees or more from straight forwards, which is not normal for me. So, I exchanged them. Now I'm wearing the NB 991, which like the NB 854 also has that great SL-1 last, so it fits very well. And, my gait is reasonable now.

This is not to say that the 854 affects everyone's gait, because there is such a range of individual differences and needs in a shoe. However, any marked effects on the gait might be something to watch for when you first get a shoe like the NB 854.

I've never tried Superfeet.

Carole C

Re: superfeet

Ellen J. on 7/12/02 at 21:46 (089590)

I have used Superfeet and they are great if you have fairly high arches and or need good support. However, they didn't work for me because I have pretty flat feet and my feet need soft, gentle, low arch supports. Anything firm will inflame my arches which I why I can't wear Birkenstocks either. So you can try the Superfeet if your feet like firmer arch supports. There's a plastic insert under the back 2/3 of the insole which lends the firm support to the arch area. I think the light blue ones are a tad thinner than the green ones and there are some charcoal gray ones (I think they are gray) which are designed for dress shoes. It's been awhile since I have used them so I may have my info wrong. I imagine they have a website that you can look at too.
Ellen

Suzanne D on 7/13/02 at 08:27 (089600)

For me, the Birkenstock light blue 3/4 length inserts have worked the best. I have not had the opportunity to try the Superfeet but had tried Spenco, Dr. Scholls, and some other over-the-counter types. It just happens that the Birk inserts exactly fit the contour of my feet and offer firm support, yet they are semi-rigid, I guess you would say. All the others I tried ended up feeling like hard bumps under my arch. I wear the Birk inserts in an SAS walking shoe which has a removable footbed which I also leave in.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

john h on 7/13/02 at 10:47 (089607)

I have been wearing the New Balance 853 & 854 for some three years and think they are a good shoe for PF.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/02 at 14:50 (089699)

Unfortunatley, no mass produced orthotic can be right for all feet. One of the good things about Superfeet is the ease of modifiability. There is a foam top portion loosely bonded to a plastic shell. Break apart the two pieces, grind some foam off the arch if it is too high.
Ed

Ed Davis on 7/12/02 at 11:08 (089551)

Different pre-fab orthotics work better for different patients because no one pre-fabricated device can be shaped like all patient's feet. Superfeet are my favorite pr-fab devices.
Ed

John O. on 7/12/02 at 16:00 (089575)

I don't know if it is the shoe or the orthotic, but my foot feels worse when I have it in. I changed shoes, ditched the orthotic and feel much better. I know that different shoes fit differently for different people, but I can't begin to tell you how good my feet feel in my New Balance 854. Anyone else have these? I bought some Brooks running shoes too just in case the New Balance didn't work, but I have yet to try them.

Re: NB 854's

Carole C in NOLA on 7/12/02 at 16:19 (089577)

I had the NB 854, and my feet felt great in them too. They really fit well. However, they did some very peculiar things to my gait! In my 854's I was walking with my toes pointed outwards (laterally) about 60 degrees or more from straight forwards, which is not normal for me. So, I exchanged them. Now I'm wearing the NB 991, which like the NB 854 also has that great SL-1 last, so it fits very well. And, my gait is reasonable now.

This is not to say that the 854 affects everyone's gait, because there is such a range of individual differences and needs in a shoe. However, any marked effects on the gait might be something to watch for when you first get a shoe like the NB 854.

I've never tried Superfeet.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 7/12/02 at 21:46 (089590)

I have used Superfeet and they are great if you have fairly high arches and or need good support. However, they didn't work for me because I have pretty flat feet and my feet need soft, gentle, low arch supports. Anything firm will inflame my arches which I why I can't wear Birkenstocks either. So you can try the Superfeet if your feet like firmer arch supports. There's a plastic insert under the back 2/3 of the insole which lends the firm support to the arch area. I think the light blue ones are a tad thinner than the green ones and there are some charcoal gray ones (I think they are gray) which are designed for dress shoes. It's been awhile since I have used them so I may have my info wrong. I imagine they have a website that you can look at too.
Ellen

Suzanne D on 7/13/02 at 08:27 (089600)

For me, the Birkenstock light blue 3/4 length inserts have worked the best. I have not had the opportunity to try the Superfeet but had tried Spenco, Dr. Scholls, and some other over-the-counter types. It just happens that the Birk inserts exactly fit the contour of my feet and offer firm support, yet they are semi-rigid, I guess you would say. All the others I tried ended up feeling like hard bumps under my arch. I wear the Birk inserts in an SAS walking shoe which has a removable footbed which I also leave in.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

john h on 7/13/02 at 10:47 (089607)

I have been wearing the New Balance 853 & 854 for some three years and think they are a good shoe for PF.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/02 at 14:50 (089699)

Unfortunatley, no mass produced orthotic can be right for all feet. One of the good things about Superfeet is the ease of modifiability. There is a foam top portion loosely bonded to a plastic shell. Break apart the two pieces, grind some foam off the arch if it is too high.
Ed