Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cheap shoes

Posted by jonna p on 7/12/02 at 10:35 (089546)

Seems most of us pf sufferers have spent a fortune on various shoes often, with poor results. Check out ebay for buying and selling shoes- wonderful selection and new shoes can be had for 50% off retail. Used ones are even cheaper. A great place to find new brands and to get rid of all those shoes which you can't wear.
I think it would be helpful for people to describe their condition; ie flat feet or high arch. It could be that what works for one type of foot does not work for the other condition. I have flat feet and have tried almost every brand of shoe and orthotic- Mephisto (pretty good) Birks and Dansko too hard and rigid, Ecco too soft, Clarks almost right but not enough support, Teva not enough support. Just bought a pair of Romika's on ebay so will try them out.
On orthotis- Superfeet and Spenco soft were the only ones which helped. Custom orthotics too hard. Helped the heel but the whole foot ached.

Re: Good idea

Carole C in NOLA on 7/12/02 at 11:41 (089555)

Yes, it's a good idea for us to describe our condition, and what works for us. :)

I have a medium to high arch and a medium to wide foot. My plantar fasciitis was pretty normal and due to an repetitive motion athletic injury, and I also had a lot of tendonitis with very tight and tender Achilles and other tendons. I do not know for sure whether I over-pronate or supinate, but I suspect from my own observations that maybe I over-pronate but not very much.

Custom soft orthotics and Birkenstocks worked well for me while my pain level was high (8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10). I found the high arch Tatami's, like my Birkenstock Fulda and Amsterdam models, were the best Birkentstocks for me. I wore my custom orthotics to work, and my Birkenstocks around the house.

When my pain level got down to about a 4, I bought some SAS Free Times that worked well for me just using the insert that came with them.

Lately I've been wearing my NB 991's which I got when my pain level was about a 1 or 2 at most. They have been wonderful for me. I've even been able to wear them from the time I get dressed, to the time I go to bed, this week. Until now, I had been wearing my Birkenstocks in the evenings. This morning when I got up and put on my NB 991's, I caught myself smiling and murmuring 'AAAAH!'. It's been a long time since shoes have actually felt good on my feet, like these do.

I found that Dr. Scholl's arch supports just didn't do the trick for me. They felt good at first, but my foot needs more of an arch-supporting orthotic rather than just an arch support, I guess. I can't wear my Easy Spirit and Nike shoes, because they strain my arches.

Hope this helps somebody.

Carole C

Re: Cheap shoes

Ron P. on 7/15/02 at 16:32 (089705)

Hi Jonna

I soved my problem with Dr Kiper's liquid silicone orthotics & a wide hi toe box shoe like NB. It seems to be the massaging movement of the silicone that does the trick. He will give you a 5=10 min consultation over the phone. Ask him whats his sucess record is with your specfic PF problem. The number is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck! Ron P Sunnyvale CA

Re: Good idea

Carole C in NOLA on 7/12/02 at 11:41 (089555)

Yes, it's a good idea for us to describe our condition, and what works for us. :)

I have a medium to high arch and a medium to wide foot. My plantar fasciitis was pretty normal and due to an repetitive motion athletic injury, and I also had a lot of tendonitis with very tight and tender Achilles and other tendons. I do not know for sure whether I over-pronate or supinate, but I suspect from my own observations that maybe I over-pronate but not very much.

Custom soft orthotics and Birkenstocks worked well for me while my pain level was high (8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10). I found the high arch Tatami's, like my Birkenstock Fulda and Amsterdam models, were the best Birkentstocks for me. I wore my custom orthotics to work, and my Birkenstocks around the house.

When my pain level got down to about a 4, I bought some SAS Free Times that worked well for me just using the insert that came with them.

Lately I've been wearing my NB 991's which I got when my pain level was about a 1 or 2 at most. They have been wonderful for me. I've even been able to wear them from the time I get dressed, to the time I go to bed, this week. Until now, I had been wearing my Birkenstocks in the evenings. This morning when I got up and put on my NB 991's, I caught myself smiling and murmuring 'AAAAH!'. It's been a long time since shoes have actually felt good on my feet, like these do.

I found that Dr. Scholl's arch supports just didn't do the trick for me. They felt good at first, but my foot needs more of an arch-supporting orthotic rather than just an arch support, I guess. I can't wear my Easy Spirit and Nike shoes, because they strain my arches.

Hope this helps somebody.

Carole C

Re: Cheap shoes

Ron P. on 7/15/02 at 16:32 (089705)

Hi Jonna

I soved my problem with Dr Kiper's liquid silicone orthotics & a wide hi toe box shoe like NB. It seems to be the massaging movement of the silicone that does the trick. He will give you a 5=10 min consultation over the phone. Ask him whats his sucess record is with your specfic PF problem. The number is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck! Ron P Sunnyvale CA