Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good Black Sneakers

Posted by Carolyn F. on 7/14/02 at 10:29 (089624)

Can anyone reccomend a good pair of black sneakers for PF?????? I need them for work, and I feel the Reebok DMX's are not good enough anymore. The selections of New Balances seem to mostly be in white. Any suggestions appreciated.
Carolyn

Re: Good Black Sneakers

BrianG on 7/14/02 at 11:05 (089632)

Hi Carolyn,

New Balance does make some walking shoes in black. I wore them when I was working security. I bought the 572 model, but I see that it has been upgraded to the ww573bk. It's not really a top of the line shoe, at $59.95, but may be OK if you can't get anything else. Good luck

BrianG, not a doc
PS: this is cut and pasted from the Net.

Free Shipping on orders > $100
Home   (PIPE)   Help   (PIPE)   Contact Us   (PIPE)   1-800-595-9138
Search:   
New Balance Web Express is an independently owned and operated licensee of New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.  [details]
Summer Clearance Sale! Take an additional 20% OFF on all Clearance Shoes.
  Departments
   Shoe CategoriesMen's...
Running
Walking
XTraining
Basketball
Court
Retro
Hiking
Dress/Casual
Cleated
SandalsWomen's...
Running
Walking
XTraining
Court
Retro
Dress/Casual
Hiking
Kid's...
Kids Shoes
Pre-School Apparel / Accessories Closeouts (Clearance) Dunham Boots
  Shopping Tools
 Search for Shoes NB Knowledge Base Foot Health Clinic Best Sellers New Styles
  Customer Service
 Help Center Ask the Expert Track Your Order Newsletter (FREE) Shipping and Ordering Policies Site Map

New Balance Women's Walking
WW573BK$59.99     
Add Shoes To Cart
Size:  Width:  ('B' is standard for women)
Available Sizes...
(For sizing help, click here)AA: 5-11,12,13
B: 5-11,12,13
D: 5-11,12,13
EE: 5-11,12,13
This shoe runs true to size.
When ordering, select your normal shoe size.

Other Views...

Tell a Friend about the WW573BK
Comparable styles...
WW555WN
WW573VK
WW573VW
more >>

Cushioned Walking Shoe. A flexible lightweight shoe featuring ABZORB cushioning for frequent moderate paced fitness walking. 
Color: Black
Weight: 286 grams (10.1 oz.)
Shoe Last: SL2

Features & Benefits
ABZORB in Heel - Provides exceptional shock absorption.
Injection Molded EVA - Provides a lightweight cushioned ride with rubber pods for durability.
Walking Strike Path Outsole - Stabilizes the foot through the walking gait cycle.
Non-marking Carbon Rubber Outsole - Provides long-wearing durability.
Full Grain Leather Upper - Natural comfort, durability and breathability.
Helpful Resources:   NB Knowledge Base   (PIPE)   Foot Health   (PIPE)   Glossary

WJK895 (Microfiber 1/2 Zip Jacket)
Core basic running jacket
Q13 ultraweight microfiber polyester features the best in performance breathability and wind resistance. $64.99(more of these...)

WRS801 (Athletic Fit (3 in. inseam))
Coolmax lined v-notch training short
The Q13 outer shell is wind resistant, water resistant with a coolmax lining to provide moisture management.$23.99(more of these...)

SK460LG (Elite Blister Guard Sock)
Teflon Footie Sock
Elite Series Ultra Low footie sock containing Blister Guard for those who require the best quality and most protection for their feet. $12.50(more of these...)

New Balance 573 ( WW573BK )
New Balance Walking Shoes (Women's) > Cushioning

Shoes  (PIPE)   Apparel  (PIPE)   Clearance  (PIPE)   Dunham (PIPE)   Shopping Cart  (PIPE)   Check Out  (PIPE)   Track Your Order  (PIPE)   Help  (PIPE)   Contact Us
Questions or comments? (email removed)  or 1-800-595-9138
 Terms & Conditions   (PIPE)    Privacy Statement   (PIPE)    Security Statement   (PIPE)    Site Map7/14/2002
Copyright © 2000-2002, New Balance Web Express. All Rights Reserved.

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/14/02 at 19:09 (089643)

Carolyn,

Do you have to actually wear sneakers? There are excellent shoes referred to as after-sport shoes that I often recommend to my patients and those patients have been VERY satisfied. The shoes are made by a company called Merrell, which is a subsidiary of Wolverine. Merrell was well known for it's hiking shoes and they have branched out to sport shoes and 'after sport' shoes that are almost a cross between a clog and a sneaker. I personally wear Merrell's with scrubs in the office and while in the operating room. I don't know where you live, but in my area (Philadelphia/South Jersey) they are sold in Eastern Mountain Sports, The Walking Store (not to be confused with the Good Feet Store) and Nordstrom's. There is an excellent web site http://www.merrellboot.com . Click on 'after sport' and check your choices. Keep me filled in if you try a pair.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/02 at 14:33 (089696)

Two of my favorites are the Brooks Addiction WT and New Balance 800 series, both available in black.
Ed

Carolyn F. on 7/16/02 at 09:40 (089769)

I checked out the website, but you can only order them if you are a licensed dealer. I will try a search on the regular web. They may be too sporty for my job. We have to wear shoes with rubber soles for the kitchen and those who do not wear some type of black sneaker wear a black dress shoe with the sole. Do these shoes have some type of great arch system that you reccomend them for PF sufferers.They do look very comfortable. Maybe I will look in Nordstrom at the K.O.P. mall . That way I could try them on and see for myself.Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

Re: try this

elliott on 7/16/02 at 10:42 (089772)

http://shop.zappos.com/n/p?dp=320282&c=3

This is one of the shoes recommended by Dr. Ed. I have the MIB (Men's in Black :-)) and like it.

BrianG on 7/14/02 at 11:05 (089632)

Hi Carolyn,

New Balance does make some walking shoes in black. I wore them when I was working security. I bought the 572 model, but I see that it has been upgraded to the ww573bk. It's not really a top of the line shoe, at $59.95, but may be OK if you can't get anything else. Good luck

BrianG, not a doc
PS: this is cut and pasted from the Net.

Free Shipping on orders > $100
Home   (PIPE)   Help   (PIPE)   Contact Us   (PIPE)   1-800-595-9138
Search:   
New Balance Web Express is an independently owned and operated licensee of New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc.  [details]
Summer Clearance Sale! Take an additional 20% OFF on all Clearance Shoes.
  Departments
   Shoe CategoriesMen's...
Running
Walking
XTraining
Basketball
Court
Retro
Hiking
Dress/Casual
Cleated
SandalsWomen's...
Running
Walking
XTraining
Court
Retro
Dress/Casual
Hiking
Kid's...
Kids Shoes
Pre-School Apparel / Accessories Closeouts (Clearance) Dunham Boots
  Shopping Tools
 Search for Shoes NB Knowledge Base Foot Health Clinic Best Sellers New Styles
  Customer Service
 Help Center Ask the Expert Track Your Order Newsletter (FREE) Shipping and Ordering Policies Site Map

New Balance Women's Walking
WW573BK$59.99     
Add Shoes To Cart
Size:  Width:  ('B' is standard for women)
Available Sizes...
(For sizing help, click here)AA: 5-11,12,13
B: 5-11,12,13
D: 5-11,12,13
EE: 5-11,12,13
This shoe runs true to size.
When ordering, select your normal shoe size.

Other Views...

Tell a Friend about the WW573BK
Comparable styles...
WW555WN
WW573VK
WW573VW
more >>

Cushioned Walking Shoe. A flexible lightweight shoe featuring ABZORB cushioning for frequent moderate paced fitness walking. 
Color: Black
Weight: 286 grams (10.1 oz.)
Shoe Last: SL2

Features & Benefits
ABZORB in Heel - Provides exceptional shock absorption.
Injection Molded EVA - Provides a lightweight cushioned ride with rubber pods for durability.
Walking Strike Path Outsole - Stabilizes the foot through the walking gait cycle.
Non-marking Carbon Rubber Outsole - Provides long-wearing durability.
Full Grain Leather Upper - Natural comfort, durability and breathability.
Helpful Resources:   NB Knowledge Base   (PIPE)   Foot Health   (PIPE)   Glossary

WJK895 (Microfiber 1/2 Zip Jacket)
Core basic running jacket
Q13 ultraweight microfiber polyester features the best in performance breathability and wind resistance. $64.99(more of these...)

WRS801 (Athletic Fit (3 in. inseam))
Coolmax lined v-notch training short
The Q13 outer shell is wind resistant, water resistant with a coolmax lining to provide moisture management.$23.99(more of these...)

SK460LG (Elite Blister Guard Sock)
Teflon Footie Sock
Elite Series Ultra Low footie sock containing Blister Guard for those who require the best quality and most protection for their feet. $12.50(more of these...)

New Balance 573 ( WW573BK )
New Balance Walking Shoes (Women's) > Cushioning

Shoes  (PIPE)   Apparel  (PIPE)   Clearance  (PIPE)   Dunham (PIPE)   Shopping Cart  (PIPE)   Check Out  (PIPE)   Track Your Order  (PIPE)   Help  (PIPE)   Contact Us
Questions or comments? (email removed)  or 1-800-595-9138
 Terms & Conditions   (PIPE)    Privacy Statement   (PIPE)    Security Statement   (PIPE)    Site Map7/14/2002
Copyright © 2000-2002, New Balance Web Express. All Rights Reserved.

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/14/02 at 19:09 (089643)

Carolyn,

Do you have to actually wear sneakers? There are excellent shoes referred to as after-sport shoes that I often recommend to my patients and those patients have been VERY satisfied. The shoes are made by a company called Merrell, which is a subsidiary of Wolverine. Merrell was well known for it's hiking shoes and they have branched out to sport shoes and 'after sport' shoes that are almost a cross between a clog and a sneaker. I personally wear Merrell's with scrubs in the office and while in the operating room. I don't know where you live, but in my area (Philadelphia/South Jersey) they are sold in Eastern Mountain Sports, The Walking Store (not to be confused with the Good Feet Store) and Nordstrom's. There is an excellent web site http://www.merrellboot.com . Click on 'after sport' and check your choices. Keep me filled in if you try a pair.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/02 at 14:33 (089696)

Two of my favorites are the Brooks Addiction WT and New Balance 800 series, both available in black.
Ed

Carolyn F. on 7/16/02 at 09:40 (089769)

I checked out the website, but you can only order them if you are a licensed dealer. I will try a search on the regular web. They may be too sporty for my job. We have to wear shoes with rubber soles for the kitchen and those who do not wear some type of black sneaker wear a black dress shoe with the sole. Do these shoes have some type of great arch system that you reccomend them for PF sufferers.They do look very comfortable. Maybe I will look in Nordstrom at the K.O.P. mall . That way I could try them on and see for myself.Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

Re: try this

elliott on 7/16/02 at 10:42 (089772)

http://shop.zappos.com/n/p?dp=320282&c=3

This is one of the shoes recommended by Dr. Ed. I have the MIB (Men's in Black :-)) and like it.