Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Keep off your feet and use crutches.. does it help?

Posted by Jane on 7/15/02 at 09:26 (089675)

Hi, Just wondering if I used crutches and stayed off my foot ( i have it worse in my right foot) would help. Has anyone tried this? It seems to me that the facitis needs to heal and can't heal because of constant use. If I stayed off of it for a couple of weeks maybe it would heal.I have had this for 6 months now and am pretty well incapacitated by it. I do exercises, have lost 12 pounds,ice, special running shoes and I still have the problem. Interestingly my foot feels better in the morning after I have been at rest.

Re: Keep off your feet and use crutches.. does it help?

BrianJ on 7/15/02 at 13:16 (089686)

Jane --

When your foot feels fine in the morning, but hurts at the end of the day or after prolonged standing, there is a possibility that you have nerve entrapment. This can happen separate from or together with plantar fasciitis. You may want to research this issue on the internet, and to ask your podiatrist or orthopod about it.

As to crutches, most doctors agree that going completely non-weightbearing will not cure PF because the problem is biomechanical and will return when you start walking again. However, anything reasonable and non-invasive is worth a try.

Good luck!

Re: Keep off your feet Silicone Orthotics?

Lan on 7/15/02 at 20:02 (089723)

Dear Jane If you can live w/ the Pain u might want to try Dr Kiper's Fluid Silicone Orthotic next. (www.drkiper.com) Lots of time he can completely alievate the pain...cushioning it in silicon does wonders... Lots cheaper than surgey & he gives a very long trial period...worked for me.. Lan from WA

R C on 7/16/02 at 10:45 (089773)

That's a tough question, but ultimately my answer is yes. I tried (on two occasions a year apart) going for 2 weeks on crutches to see if that would help. It didn't: the pain returned within a day of resuming even minimal walking. I believe that the pain was not caused by re-injury, so much as the 2 weeks being insufficient for significant healing to take place.

What did end up working for me was 4 weeks on crutches and hard cast, followed by 4 weeks of crutches and (exceptional) physical therapy, plus several more weeks of daily taping and walking only when necessary. It wasn't until all of this that my PF pain was eliminated. In fact the doctor even suggested I take it easy and continue taping for a full year.

So, bottom line is: it can work, but it may take a lot more time and effort than taking a couple weeks off. When my cast was removed, I could barely walk, which is why I think the physical therapy is an essential ingredient in this approach.

BrianJ on 7/15/02 at 13:16 (089686)

Jane --

When your foot feels fine in the morning, but hurts at the end of the day or after prolonged standing, there is a possibility that you have nerve entrapment. This can happen separate from or together with plantar fasciitis. You may want to research this issue on the internet, and to ask your podiatrist or orthopod about it.

As to crutches, most doctors agree that going completely non-weightbearing will not cure PF because the problem is biomechanical and will return when you start walking again. However, anything reasonable and non-invasive is worth a try.

Good luck!

Re: Keep off your feet Silicone Orthotics?

Lan on 7/15/02 at 20:02 (089723)

Dear Jane If you can live w/ the Pain u might want to try Dr Kiper's Fluid Silicone Orthotic next. (www.drkiper.com) Lots of time he can completely alievate the pain...cushioning it in silicon does wonders... Lots cheaper than surgey & he gives a very long trial period...worked for me.. Lan from WA

R C on 7/16/02 at 10:45 (089773)

That's a tough question, but ultimately my answer is yes. I tried (on two occasions a year apart) going for 2 weeks on crutches to see if that would help. It didn't: the pain returned within a day of resuming even minimal walking. I believe that the pain was not caused by re-injury, so much as the 2 weeks being insufficient for significant healing to take place.

What did end up working for me was 4 weeks on crutches and hard cast, followed by 4 weeks of crutches and (exceptional) physical therapy, plus several more weeks of daily taping and walking only when necessary. It wasn't until all of this that my PF pain was eliminated. In fact the doctor even suggested I take it easy and continue taping for a full year.

So, bottom line is: it can work, but it may take a lot more time and effort than taking a couple weeks off. When my cast was removed, I could barely walk, which is why I think the physical therapy is an essential ingredient in this approach.