Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

neurontin for pain

Posted by Cindy N. on 7/15/02 at 13:02 (089684)

Hi everyone, i was just put on neurontin 300mg at night for tts pain.
The physiatrist wants me to take it for 2 weeks and then he will increase the dosage. Has anyone else been started out that slowly, i am looking for some pain relief and it isn't coming soon enough! C.

Re: neurontin for pain

Dennis B. on 7/15/02 at 14:19 (089695)

I am on 1800mg/day for TTS and PN. I started out with 300mg/day, then started adding another 300mg/day every third day until I reached the current and I believe soon to be increased, dosage. My understanding is that when you 'get off of' neurontin, you also decrease your dosage in the same manner. DENNIS

BrianG on 7/15/02 at 21:48 (089733)

Hi Cindy,

Like Dennis said, 300mg is the basic, starting amount. Your doctor is really being conservartive by waiting 2 weeks for your next increase. Why don't you call him after a week, if you don't feel any positive results. He may increase you then. Just watch for the side effects, and I'm not going to name any, because I don't want you to talk yourself into them :*) I stayed at 900mg for a while, then had to taper back off, couldn't take some of the side effects. Good luck, everyone is different, and you'll probably be just fine.

BrianG

Janet C on 7/15/02 at 22:21 (089738)

My new Pain Management Dr. explained to me that our bodies naturally produce GABA - gamma aminobutyric acid. And he explained that Neurontin is an artificial form of GABA a.k.a. Gaba-pentin, that was orginally created as an anti-seizure medication for epilepsy patients. He said that it has been promoted recently to treat those with nerve damage, but unfortunately, it has a lot of unpleasant side-effects. He looked at my lab results, and informed me that my body was producing anough GABA on its own right now, but that anyone can purchase GABA at any health food store.

Just FYI... Janet

Tammie on 7/25/02 at 19:05 (090606)

I am on 600 mg.x3 a day I dropped back to the 600 mg x2 a day because it did not do much but made me feel sick. I am gradually trying it again to see if it is going to do it again It is kinda of expensive I have found also as I cannot get it mail order.As it is changed every time I go in it seems.I keep wondering what is going to do for me as I dont feel anything new yet.

Do you know how much they raise it to?I mean it seems as if it is alot of med and what is it going to do something that I will know about?

Don S. on 7/30/02 at 19:46 (091040)

I was diagnosed with bilateral TTS about 18 months ago. Was put on a low dose of neurontin (gabapentin) before being diagnosed. Was ready for surgery but my doc went back to his home in Georgia so started anew with his partner. He takes things more coservatively. He increased the neurontin and am now up to 600mg 3 times a day. It helped but I still had my bad days. He then added vioxx (25mg once daily) about 6 weeks ago and the relief has been tremendous. I went from a pain level of 6 to 7 down to a 3. Give it a try.

Dennis B. on 7/15/02 at 14:19 (089695)

I am on 1800mg/day for TTS and PN. I started out with 300mg/day, then started adding another 300mg/day every third day until I reached the current and I believe soon to be increased, dosage. My understanding is that when you 'get off of' neurontin, you also decrease your dosage in the same manner. DENNIS

BrianG on 7/15/02 at 21:48 (089733)

Hi Cindy,

Like Dennis said, 300mg is the basic, starting amount. Your doctor is really being conservartive by waiting 2 weeks for your next increase. Why don't you call him after a week, if you don't feel any positive results. He may increase you then. Just watch for the side effects, and I'm not going to name any, because I don't want you to talk yourself into them :*) I stayed at 900mg for a while, then had to taper back off, couldn't take some of the side effects. Good luck, everyone is different, and you'll probably be just fine.

BrianG

Janet C on 7/15/02 at 22:21 (089738)

My new Pain Management Dr. explained to me that our bodies naturally produce GABA - gamma aminobutyric acid. And he explained that Neurontin is an artificial form of GABA a.k.a. Gaba-pentin, that was orginally created as an anti-seizure medication for epilepsy patients. He said that it has been promoted recently to treat those with nerve damage, but unfortunately, it has a lot of unpleasant side-effects. He looked at my lab results, and informed me that my body was producing anough GABA on its own right now, but that anyone can purchase GABA at any health food store.

Just FYI... Janet

Tammie on 7/25/02 at 19:05 (090606)

I am on 600 mg.x3 a day I dropped back to the 600 mg x2 a day because it did not do much but made me feel sick. I am gradually trying it again to see if it is going to do it again It is kinda of expensive I have found also as I cannot get it mail order.As it is changed every time I go in it seems.I keep wondering what is going to do for me as I dont feel anything new yet.

Do you know how much they raise it to?I mean it seems as if it is alot of med and what is it going to do something that I will know about?

Don S. on 7/30/02 at 19:46 (091040)

I was diagnosed with bilateral TTS about 18 months ago. Was put on a low dose of neurontin (gabapentin) before being diagnosed. Was ready for surgery but my doc went back to his home in Georgia so started anew with his partner. He takes things more coservatively. He increased the neurontin and am now up to 600mg 3 times a day. It helped but I still had my bad days. He then added vioxx (25mg once daily) about 6 weeks ago and the relief has been tremendous. I went from a pain level of 6 to 7 down to a 3. Give it a try.