Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Friends , Lauire esp. Janet and Necee

Posted by Tammie on 7/15/02 at 20:48 (089730)

Heh My email is down I have not been able to acess it I am unsure why but our putor is being a stinker and not allowing me on or kicks me off much much more. I just needed to tell u I am sorry I shall try to write soon I thought maybe You might think I am ignoring u! About the nerve blocks gals I need to know lol everything every thing from time get there to leave Its closing in on me and I am scared please tell me what to expect? Love to u all!

Re: Friends , Lauire esp. Janet and Necee

Janet C on 7/15/02 at 21:53 (089734)

Dear Tammie,

I have had a half dozen Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Blocks, and I can tell you that they were not a big deal, at least this was my experience...

You can't eat or drink for six - eight hours before you get to the hospital. But once you get admitted, and in a gown, they hook up an IV with a sugar/saline solution. Then they take your vitals, and you sit and wait... and wait... until it's your turn...

Finally, they wheel you into the operating room, where the Fluoroscope is located. The Fluoroscope is like an X-ray machine, which is necessary to use so the Dr. can see exactly where the needle is being inserted. Once there, they have you transfer to a waiting bed, where they ask you to lay face down, arms out to your side. (With the gowns that open in the back, this is where you lose all dignity.)

Then, the Anesthesiologist gives you a drug (usually Versed) into your IV that relaxes you and is short-acting. I think the doctor sprays a topical to numb the spinal area, then they inject the steroid. Before you know it, the procedure's over, it really is fast!

Then you're transferred to another bed, wheeled into a recovery room for observation, given warm blankets, and hooked up to the heart monitors. Within a half hour, the relaxing drug has usually worn off. A small bandaid covers the spot the needle went in.

Usually, you can go home within an hour, and they advise no spicy foods that day, no activities, just to take it easy.

Sometimes, later that evening, I felt like I was having chills. The Dr. explained that was from the medication's side-effects. Any soreness in the back can be alleviated with a warm water bottle.

I hope this helps you understand what to expect!

Very best wishes to you, always, with Love ~ Janet

Necee on 7/15/02 at 23:52 (089745)

Hi Tammie,
Yes, I was beginning to worry about you. I figured you were just busy.
I wish I could help answer questions you might have concerning the nerve blocks, but I've never had them. Janet has done a good job on explaining the procedure, I hope that helps. It sounds like its going to be very quick and painfree. I'm sure you will do just fine.

I will be thinking about you, and praying that the block works. You are such a strong person Tammie, so I have no doubt that your going to get through this. I understand your anxiety, and thats completely normal, so go ahead and ask questions and don't be afraid to let your emotions and feelings be known.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you, but please know that I'm always here in loving thoughts and prayers.

Keep us all posted

Necee

Re: Thank you all of you!

Tammie on 7/16/02 at 13:55 (089785)

Thank you for explaining all you can Janet it means so very much to me I know my friends have been going over and over about this type of presedure saying it will be fine so this is just what I need to hear! I am so afraid of WHAT could go wrong and what should I expect when I also realise I am very terrified at what might or might not go on . Thank you for the time and the beautiful words you both wrote I love you both!

Re: Heh Laurie You know you are the main one,

Tammie on 7/16/02 at 15:09 (089790)

Who keeps us going lol! Remember girl if we can ever get thease feet back arm whatever it is that TRIES to keep us in pain ////NO WAY we are much to strong with all of our friends here and the surrounding of love and feeling that are around this site of support.Laurie you were very great to share with me janets expierance and help! Now Laurie Dont get upset with me but IIIIIIII am scared about this nerve stuff they are going to do . I cant help it I am so afraid what pain will be next. Please Laurie take care I have to get into my email I cant acess from my commputor, darn yahoo is not alowing me to I get into it from daughters but she is not allowing me much time on her computor so trying to post general here till hubby fixes! He said he will soon just so busy gettng Adam signed in at his collage also. Love to you and do hope you are doing well. Tell us all how things are going OK

Janet C on 7/15/02 at 21:53 (089734)

Dear Tammie,

I have had a half dozen Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Blocks, and I can tell you that they were not a big deal, at least this was my experience...

You can't eat or drink for six - eight hours before you get to the hospital. But once you get admitted, and in a gown, they hook up an IV with a sugar/saline solution. Then they take your vitals, and you sit and wait... and wait... until it's your turn...

Finally, they wheel you into the operating room, where the Fluoroscope is located. The Fluoroscope is like an X-ray machine, which is necessary to use so the Dr. can see exactly where the needle is being inserted. Once there, they have you transfer to a waiting bed, where they ask you to lay face down, arms out to your side. (With the gowns that open in the back, this is where you lose all dignity.)

Then, the Anesthesiologist gives you a drug (usually Versed) into your IV that relaxes you and is short-acting. I think the doctor sprays a topical to numb the spinal area, then they inject the steroid. Before you know it, the procedure's over, it really is fast!

Then you're transferred to another bed, wheeled into a recovery room for observation, given warm blankets, and hooked up to the heart monitors. Within a half hour, the relaxing drug has usually worn off. A small bandaid covers the spot the needle went in.

Usually, you can go home within an hour, and they advise no spicy foods that day, no activities, just to take it easy.

Sometimes, later that evening, I felt like I was having chills. The Dr. explained that was from the medication's side-effects. Any soreness in the back can be alleviated with a warm water bottle.

I hope this helps you understand what to expect!

Very best wishes to you, always, with Love ~ Janet

Necee on 7/15/02 at 23:52 (089745)

Hi Tammie,
Yes, I was beginning to worry about you. I figured you were just busy.
I wish I could help answer questions you might have concerning the nerve blocks, but I've never had them. Janet has done a good job on explaining the procedure, I hope that helps. It sounds like its going to be very quick and painfree. I'm sure you will do just fine.

I will be thinking about you, and praying that the block works. You are such a strong person Tammie, so I have no doubt that your going to get through this. I understand your anxiety, and thats completely normal, so go ahead and ask questions and don't be afraid to let your emotions and feelings be known.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you, but please know that I'm always here in loving thoughts and prayers.

Keep us all posted

Necee

Re: Thank you all of you!

Tammie on 7/16/02 at 13:55 (089785)

Thank you for explaining all you can Janet it means so very much to me I know my friends have been going over and over about this type of presedure saying it will be fine so this is just what I need to hear! I am so afraid of WHAT could go wrong and what should I expect when I also realise I am very terrified at what might or might not go on . Thank you for the time and the beautiful words you both wrote I love you both!

Re: Heh Laurie You know you are the main one,

Tammie on 7/16/02 at 15:09 (089790)

Who keeps us going lol! Remember girl if we can ever get thease feet back arm whatever it is that TRIES to keep us in pain ////NO WAY we are much to strong with all of our friends here and the surrounding of love and feeling that are around this site of support.Laurie you were very great to share with me janets expierance and help! Now Laurie Dont get upset with me but IIIIIIII am scared about this nerve stuff they are going to do . I cant help it I am so afraid what pain will be next. Please Laurie take care I have to get into my email I cant acess from my commputor, darn yahoo is not alowing me to I get into it from daughters but she is not allowing me much time on her computor so trying to post general here till hubby fixes! He said he will soon just so busy gettng Adam signed in at his collage also. Love to you and do hope you are doing well. Tell us all how things are going OK