Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shot yesterday has put me in crutches today.

Posted by CatherineL on 7/16/02 at 07:50 (089751)

Hi guys,

Here's the problem. PF 2 yrs now... I got a cortisone shot last year in my left foot and other than the EXTREME pain of the shot, my foot was numb that day and much better for 3 weeks following.

Yesterday I got a shot in my right foot. Used Emla cream for numbing and he put the shot in the inside area of my heel. It was a bit sore yesterday so I iced last night. I couldn't walk this a.m. The pain from hobbling to the next room had me lie on the floor so I wouldn't pass out from the pain. I aches a bit all the time, but I CAN NOT put any kind of pressure on it.

I've searched the site and didn't come across anything specific, but I'm sure someone here will have some answers for me.

thanx all
Catherine

Re: Cortisone shot ,,,try silicone orthotics for long term?

Lan L. on 7/16/02 at 19:22 (089804)

Hi Catherine
Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his solution helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. GL!

Re: Cortisone shot yesterday has put me in crutches today.

Paula S on 7/19/02 at 14:42 (090132)

Catherine, although my doctor did a good job numbing my foot and the shot itself didn't hurt much, I also had horrible pain after my shot for about a week. I was also unable to put any pressure on it, or even move it at all (i.e., flex or point my toes). It got gradually less painful and was better after a week. I have no idea why. Maybe one of the doctors will post. Hope you feel better soon. Paula.

kathleen F. on 7/23/02 at 15:45 (090439)

No doubt, mates! The cortisone shot itself is quite painful and the 12-24 hours immediately following the injection were horriffic for me as well. Am now at about 36 hours post-injection and hoping for some significant relief, as have been out of work (as a waitress!) for 2+ weeks now. will try taping tomorrow. appreciate any replies or advices. Thanks

john h on 7/23/02 at 18:08 (090444)

It is always interesting to read the different experiences we have with cortisone shots. I have had 2 in each foot and got from 3-6 days of almost complete relief before reverting to the same old PF. I found the pain of the shot to be very brief and moderate. Relief was almost immediate which was probably not good because I thought I was cured. Shots were from the side. Take a very deep breath and exhale as the cortisone is injected and you only have 2 or so seconds of pain. What is that stupid saying 'no pain no gain'! come to think of it that is why i got married.

Re: Cortisone shot ,,,try silicone orthotics for long term?

Lan L. on 7/16/02 at 19:22 (089804)

Hi Catherine
Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his solution helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. GL!

Paula S on 7/19/02 at 14:42 (090132)

Catherine, although my doctor did a good job numbing my foot and the shot itself didn't hurt much, I also had horrible pain after my shot for about a week. I was also unable to put any pressure on it, or even move it at all (i.e., flex or point my toes). It got gradually less painful and was better after a week. I have no idea why. Maybe one of the doctors will post. Hope you feel better soon. Paula.

kathleen F. on 7/23/02 at 15:45 (090439)

No doubt, mates! The cortisone shot itself is quite painful and the 12-24 hours immediately following the injection were horriffic for me as well. Am now at about 36 hours post-injection and hoping for some significant relief, as have been out of work (as a waitress!) for 2+ weeks now. will try taping tomorrow. appreciate any replies or advices. Thanks

john h on 7/23/02 at 18:08 (090444)

It is always interesting to read the different experiences we have with cortisone shots. I have had 2 in each foot and got from 3-6 days of almost complete relief before reverting to the same old PF. I found the pain of the shot to be very brief and moderate. Relief was almost immediate which was probably not good because I thought I was cured. Shots were from the side. Take a very deep breath and exhale as the cortisone is injected and you only have 2 or so seconds of pain. What is that stupid saying 'no pain no gain'! come to think of it that is why i got married.