Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Methadone - A Miracle Drug?

Posted by Henry C on 7/16/02 at 08:51 (089760)

After three operations, two of which were for TTS in five years and many tries at everything, I finally have found the cure for my pain - METHADONE. Believe me, I have tried just about everything possible for my pain from Oxycontin to Neurontin. Nothing seemed to really be affective. That was until I tried Methadone. After only two weeks, I am nearly pain free.

What is really hard to believe is the fact that I am not all drugged up. Maybe it's to early to start praising this medicine but for the time being it sure feels great! Believe me, I know first hand about all the depression associated with TTS. I went through those times where I never wanted to get out of bed and when I did all I wanted to do was kill myself. It got so bad that I had to go into the hospital to get better.

Luckily I had this message board and all the great people on it for support. I read all those messages about people who got better and always wondered why that couldn't be me. I guess the thing that kept me going was the idea that I wasn't going to let TTS beat me. No matter what it was going to take, I was eventually going to win, no matter what it took! Maybe I have only won one little battle in this war against TTS, but it is at least one win.

Thanks to BrianG's advise from this message board, I found a new pain management doctor who prescribed me Methadone. In less then two weeks, I have felt better then I have in who knows how long. In addition to the Methadone, I also take 2700 Mg of Neurontin and Mobic.

I only hope that all of you reading this message will some day find something to help you win your battle against TTS. Never give up and let this get the better of you!

Thank you BrianG for advising me to try Methadone, it worked!

Henry C

Re: hey, good for you!

elliott on 7/16/02 at 09:46 (089771)

Happy for you. Kudos to BrianG.

It's hard to forget your story, glad something worked. That's still super-high doses. Any side effects from any of them? Are you going to stop the others to see if the Methadone works alone? Can I ask who the pain mgmt doc is? Never know when you might need one.

Henry C on 7/16/02 at 13:12 (089781)

Elliott - Glad to see you back on the message board! You were missing for some time. I always thought of you as the TTS Guru of this message board.

Yes, 2700 mg of Neurontin is a lot. My doctor did suggest that we might start reducing the amount of Neurontin to see what the effect would be. That would also save me some $ every month. The Neurontin alone costs me $77.00 a month.

The only side effects that I have noticed from the Methadone is that some times it is hard to go to the bathroom and that I seem to drink a lot more water. Unlike the Oxycontin, I am not drowsy and my thought pattern has not been reduced. In the last few days, I've noticed that I have been able to do a lot more then I have been able to do in the past. The Methadone is cheap, a two week supplyy.

As for information on my doctor, if you email me at (email removed) I will give you the details.

Henry C

Re: Methadone - A Miracle Drug?

BrianG on 7/16/02 at 15:48 (089796)

Thankfully there are quite a few different pain meds available to people in chronic pain. A good pain management doctor will work with the patient, to ensure they are getting the right meds, and the right combinations. There is no one pain script that will work for everyone.

Henry is one of the lucky chronic painers, now able to live his life with less pain, and some dignity. There is help available, if you need it. Insist that your doctors treat your pain, just as they would all your other symptoms. Don't be afraid to use the search engines, there is much to be found at 'pain management'. http://www.google.com had 380,000 hits!! Glad you found the relief, Henry.

BrianG

adam p on 7/16/02 at 23:57 (089836)

I don't usually read the posts in this, TTS board, but am glad I read yours.

It happens that I recently read something about medical-heroin.

Wishing you continued relief,
AP

Bill G on 12/12/02 at 10:56 (102818)

Is it possible that some people (such as myself) give Methadone much praise because they got hooked on other narcotic analgesics and use the 'Methadone Miracle' as a way to cover up the stigma that goes along with addiction. Let's be honest with ourselves-----are we really killing 2 birds with 1 stone?

elliott on 7/16/02 at 09:46 (089771)

Happy for you. Kudos to BrianG.

It's hard to forget your story, glad something worked. That's still super-high doses. Any side effects from any of them? Are you going to stop the others to see if the Methadone works alone? Can I ask who the pain mgmt doc is? Never know when you might need one.

Henry C on 7/16/02 at 13:12 (089781)

Elliott - Glad to see you back on the message board! You were missing for some time. I always thought of you as the TTS Guru of this message board.

Yes, 2700 mg of Neurontin is a lot. My doctor did suggest that we might start reducing the amount of Neurontin to see what the effect would be. That would also save me some $ every month. The Neurontin alone costs me $77.00 a month.

The only side effects that I have noticed from the Methadone is that some times it is hard to go to the bathroom and that I seem to drink a lot more water. Unlike the Oxycontin, I am not drowsy and my thought pattern has not been reduced. In the last few days, I've noticed that I have been able to do a lot more then I have been able to do in the past. The Methadone is cheap, a two week supplyy.

As for information on my doctor, if you email me at (email removed) I will give you the details.

Henry C

BrianG on 7/16/02 at 15:48 (089796)

Thankfully there are quite a few different pain meds available to people in chronic pain. A good pain management doctor will work with the patient, to ensure they are getting the right meds, and the right combinations. There is no one pain script that will work for everyone.

Henry is one of the lucky chronic painers, now able to live his life with less pain, and some dignity. There is help available, if you need it. Insist that your doctors treat your pain, just as they would all your other symptoms. Don't be afraid to use the search engines, there is much to be found at 'pain management'. http://www.google.com had 380,000 hits!! Glad you found the relief, Henry.

BrianG

adam p on 7/16/02 at 23:57 (089836)

I don't usually read the posts in this, TTS board, but am glad I read yours.

It happens that I recently read something about medical-heroin.

Wishing you continued relief,
AP

Bill G on 12/12/02 at 10:56 (102818)

Is it possible that some people (such as myself) give Methadone much praise because they got hooked on other narcotic analgesics and use the 'Methadone Miracle' as a way to cover up the stigma that goes along with addiction. Let's be honest with ourselves-----are we really killing 2 birds with 1 stone?