Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody have crutches/stairs suggestions??

Posted by Selina G on 7/16/02 at 11:40 (089779)

I have finally started getting out of the house after my surgery on July 5, but we live in a 3rd floor apartment, and the stairs are giving me fits. Going down is pretty easy, but going up is murder. Anybody have any good tips besides the old butt scoot method?

Re: Anybody have crutches/stairs suggestions??

Pauline on 7/16/02 at 14:00 (089787)

Unless you can fly, I think the butt scoot may have to be it for a while.
You didn't mention elevator so I assume there isn't one. Going up requires you to lift your own weight, and that's where the problem comes in.

If I were you I'd do what ever is most comfortable. It's only for a short time. By getting out your improving your mental health too so it's good for you to continue doing this. Thank God we have butts. I think it's better than the baby crawl using your knees.

kay on 7/16/02 at 21:35 (089824)

i'd stay home! i live in a one level home and i've stayed home nearly a month except doctor visits. yeah it sucks but its so hard to get around.
kay

Re: Yeah! Scott R had a certain device for sale a while back

elliott on 7/17/02 at 09:18 (089863)

It was sort of a peg with a knee rest. Comes off and on in a flash. He had a link to a picture of him wearing it a while back. He claimed it was superstable and easy to walk in. Certainly less scary if you have a handrail to hold onto. Sounds like it might be perfect for you. Not sure if Scott R sold it, but he'd probably know where you could get another one.

Maggie L. on 7/17/02 at 12:11 (089875)

Yes, stairs were definitely scary. I quickly learned to rank them in my mind from scariest to least scary - outdoor brick steps that are somewhat steep and have sharp edges are the worst. I did stairs very slowly, though never resorted to doing them on my butt. I found it a huge help to have someone walk a few steps behind me if going up and a few steps ahead if going down. It just made me feel a lot better. So when you've got a buddy with you on your outings, ask them to do this. It's mainly just visual moral support. (If you fell, you'd probably just sit down, and the person wouldn't actually be in a position to catch you, I don't think. It's just good to feel like someone is blocking the way if you did lose your balance.)

scott r on 7/18/02 at 00:27 (089928)

Thanks elliott. Here's the link to the product. Since it didn't sell, I'm trying to deplete my stock of it by selling it for $100 less than wholesale.

Re: oops, here the link

scott r on 7/18/02 at 00:38 (089929)

https://helius.safe-order.net/cgi-heelspurs/a/b.cgi?p=iwf

Pauline on 7/16/02 at 14:00 (089787)

Unless you can fly, I think the butt scoot may have to be it for a while.
You didn't mention elevator so I assume there isn't one. Going up requires you to lift your own weight, and that's where the problem comes in.

If I were you I'd do what ever is most comfortable. It's only for a short time. By getting out your improving your mental health too so it's good for you to continue doing this. Thank God we have butts. I think it's better than the baby crawl using your knees.

kay on 7/16/02 at 21:35 (089824)

i'd stay home! i live in a one level home and i've stayed home nearly a month except doctor visits. yeah it sucks but its so hard to get around.
kay

elliott on 7/17/02 at 09:18 (089863)

It was sort of a peg with a knee rest. Comes off and on in a flash. He had a link to a picture of him wearing it a while back. He claimed it was superstable and easy to walk in. Certainly less scary if you have a handrail to hold onto. Sounds like it might be perfect for you. Not sure if Scott R sold it, but he'd probably know where you could get another one.

Maggie L. on 7/17/02 at 12:11 (089875)

Yes, stairs were definitely scary. I quickly learned to rank them in my mind from scariest to least scary - outdoor brick steps that are somewhat steep and have sharp edges are the worst. I did stairs very slowly, though never resorted to doing them on my butt. I found it a huge help to have someone walk a few steps behind me if going up and a few steps ahead if going down. It just made me feel a lot better. So when you've got a buddy with you on your outings, ask them to do this. It's mainly just visual moral support. (If you fell, you'd probably just sit down, and the person wouldn't actually be in a position to catch you, I don't think. It's just good to feel like someone is blocking the way if you did lose your balance.)

scott r on 7/18/02 at 00:27 (089928)

Thanks elliott. Here's the link to the product. Since it didn't sell, I'm trying to deplete my stock of it by selling it for $100 less than wholesale.

Re: oops, here the link

scott r on 7/18/02 at 00:38 (089929)

https://helius.safe-order.net/cgi-heelspurs/a/b.cgi?p=iwf