Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Opposite Foot Heel Pain One Year Later

Posted by Glenn R. on 7/16/02 at 15:38 (089793)

In October 2000, I was experiencing extreme pain and discomfort to the heel area of my right foot. I consulted with a podiatrist who initially treated me with two shots. When this failed, I was sent to physical therapy for 14 visits. this helped somewhat, but not enough. All the while I was in thereapy, I was also taking anti inflammitories. In April, 2001 and at the conclusion of therapy and medication, I was molded for custom orthotics. Low and behold, the pain in the right foot decreased and one year later in April 2002, I can say that my right foot is 100% better. However, what has now occured has stumped both my podiatrist and myself. Specifically, after wearing the custom orthotics for one year, I began to experience extreme pain and discomfort to my left heel. I was prescribed medication, which has helped somewhat, but not completely. At this time, my podiatrist is unsure as to what to do next. Thus, my question to you is what your thoughts are. Should I have a new orthotic made for my left foot, which may possibly compromise my right foot. Or is there something else that can be done.

Please advise what your thoughts are and thank you very much.

Re: Opposite Foot Heel Pain ...Functioal Shortage?

Ron P. on 7/16/02 at 19:31 (089808)

Hi Glenn R.

My heel problem was solved by Dr Kiper's liquid silicone orthotics. i feel they work way pass regular custom orthotics. He will consult over the phone (800 DrKiper) & if you pass he'll even give u a guarantee...ask him about the possibility ofa Function Leg Shortage...worth a shot...Good Luck

Re: Opposite Foot Heel Pain One Year Later

R C on 7/16/02 at 19:43 (089811)

In my experience, orthotics are entirely hit or miss. Mostly miss. I've had three different health professionals try to fit me with orthotics under 5 different techniques, and none turned out to be helpful.

In your situation, I would try to tweak the left orthotic to eliminate the troublesome feature (could be arch too high or too low, flexibility issues, etc.)

You might also give some thought to taping, which in my case was much more effective. Scott's heel book described taping techniques.

scott r on 7/16/02 at 19:47 (089812)

All of a sudden people aer mentioning my taping method.

Re: Opposite Foot Heel Pain ...Functioal Shortage?

Ron P. on 7/16/02 at 19:31 (089808)

Hi Glenn R.

My heel problem was solved by Dr Kiper's liquid silicone orthotics. i feel they work way pass regular custom orthotics. He will consult over the phone (800 DrKiper) & if you pass he'll even give u a guarantee...ask him about the possibility ofa Function Leg Shortage...worth a shot...Good Luck

R C on 7/16/02 at 19:43 (089811)

In my experience, orthotics are entirely hit or miss. Mostly miss. I've had three different health professionals try to fit me with orthotics under 5 different techniques, and none turned out to be helpful.

In your situation, I would try to tweak the left orthotic to eliminate the troublesome feature (could be arch too high or too low, flexibility issues, etc.)

You might also give some thought to taping, which in my case was much more effective. Scott's heel book described taping techniques.

scott r on 7/16/02 at 19:47 (089812)

All of a sudden people aer mentioning my taping method.