Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

intractable pain

Posted by Jane T on 7/16/02 at 19:25 (089805)

I am a 45 year old female emergency medicine physician. My feet have been worse for 2 years, I think secondary to pregnancy changes (I have a 3.5 year old child). My right foot has been debilitating for 4 months and the doctors are recommending a minimal medial band surgery incision. I am currently stretching, resting, using a boot, night boot, ice constantly, taping, orthotics, NSAIDs in high quantities. Two steroid injections did nothing. I also started Yoga. Accupunture, chiropractic adjustment and ultrasound did not help. I am looking into massage, rolfing, physical therapy. Kaiser can do the surgery in 3 months, which is a long delay.
Most of my pain and tenderness is medial band, r foot, but both feet hurt. The right is musch worse and tighter. Twenty years ago the left foot was worse, and I did have surgery on that foot.
Any suggestions? Kaiser does not cover the shock wave, and my doctor does not think that I am likely to respond anyway. It would be $4000 cash. I have already spent about $2500 outside of Kaiser on alternative treatments and 2nd opinions. I am also on a homeopathic treatment.
Thank you Jane

Re: intractable pain

Ron P. on 7/16/02 at 19:36 (089809)

Hi Jane T

If you can live w/ the metatarsaligia for a few weeks u might want to try Dr Kiper's Fluid Silicone Orthotic first. (800 DrKiper) Lots of time he can completely alievate the pain...cushioning it in silicon does wonders... Lots cheaper than surgey & he gives a very long free trial period...worked for me...Ron P

Re: intractable pain

Ron P. on 7/16/02 at 19:36 (089809)

Hi Jane T

If you can live w/ the metatarsaligia for a few weeks u might want to try Dr Kiper's Fluid Silicone Orthotic first. (800 DrKiper) Lots of time he can completely alievate the pain...cushioning it in silicon does wonders... Lots cheaper than surgey & he gives a very long free trial period...worked for me...Ron P