Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MEPHISTOS

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 7/16/02 at 22:52 (089828)

JOHN'S WALKING STORE - I believe it was on the corner of Ashland.....I believe I took Maxwell Street off Broadway (which is the main street thru Lexington) - Maxwell went on & on - kinda looked like I was heading out of town...& then, there was Ashland......turned right onto Ashland & there it was! The store/stores are 2 adjacent homes redone -- I loved it; wish I could just buy each & every shoe I found comfy as well as more trendy than most others that I've seen! It is worth the 'walk!' Good to hear from you both - Carol & Suzanne -- seems like we are some of the old timers here on this board! (-: I vow to return even once I am 'better' to console & support others - who will continue to log onto this site with their pain - pain that has lessened for me so much of late - & for that I am thankful as I am sure you 2 are also!

Re: MEPHISTOS

Suzanne D on 7/16/02 at 23:12 (089831)

Thanks so much, Rachael! I will print this information to save.

Today I had a frustrating visit to a Birkenstock store in Indiana. My husband and I had taken his mother home after a visit with us, and we stopped at some shops about an hour from her home. There was a Birkenstock store, and I thought I could at least try on some other types to see if perhaps something would work for me. I keep wishing for a sandal to wear in hot weather.

The salesperson really did not show much knowledge or people skills. I determined to not hold it against her that she knew nothing of PF and didn't seem particularly interested in anything I said or asked. I went on and asked to see the Fulda, the Grenada, and the Nebraska. She brought out the Fulda but said they didn't have the Nebraska, but it would be a 'waste of money' if I was interested in taking out the removable footbed. I told her I saw a Grenada on display, but she said it was a 39 and the only one. I later looked at it and saw it was a 41, and there was another Grenada beside it which was a 39. But I guess what tipped the scales was when I asked if she would check and tell me what sandals she had in a 43 that I might try, and she replied, 'It's really hard to find much that looks nice when you have such long feet', and then walked away.

I felt like taking her aside and talking to her like one of my first graders, saying something like, 'Now, honey...let me help you understand that first of all you will sell a lot more shoes if you treat people nicely and say positive things, and second, you'll be a much more pleasant person...' But other customers walked in, and I gave up and just left. My husband said she would have just thought I was an 'old fogey' anyway.

It did disappoint me and hurt my feelings, but I'll get over it! :-) I thought I'd just tell you all and get it off my chest. Of course having someone respond to me in that way was nothing compared to the foot pain and trauma experienced by so many who post here. It was just a nuisance, but I felt it was unnecessary.

Thanks for listening and for posting about the store! Maybe I can go there someday. On the positive side, I did do quite a bit of walking today, and my feet feel pretty good still. One day it will be cool again, and the SAS shoes and Birk inserts won't feel so hot! I am grateful that they are still working for me.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/02 at 23:29 (089833)

My pain is a lot less too, now, and yes, it is wonderful and like being let out of jail. Only a few months ago I thought it would never go away, and posted to the docs asking if it ever did! They said it does.

I still haven't healed completely, but pretty close and I'm still improving as time goes by. My feet get tired and achy more easily than they did before PF. Generally I can just ignore that, and it's been a long time since I felt the severe crippling pain that PF can bring, thank goodness.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/02 at 23:41 (089835)

What an awful salesperson! It is so aggravating to be treated rudely like that. If my memory is correct, you have been to a better Birkenstock store than that in Kentucky. So, at least you know they aren't all like that, and I'm glad.

How was the Fulda? It sounds like maybe it didn't work for you. Oh well. They do tend to be about a half size smaller than the classic footbed. Like, I wear between a 39 and 40 in the classic footbed, and the 40 Fulda fits me very well. So, it is sort of like a 39 1/2. A 43 Fulda might be a little small for you (as far as bump placement). The Fulda is my favorite Birkenstock.

I'm glad to hear that your feet did so well with all that walking! That is a big triumph after all you've been through. Even in this heat, I am wearing my NB 991's most of the day instead of my Birkenstock sandals. I just pretend it's not hot. My co-workers probably think I'm nuts, because I was wearing Birkenstock sandals last January when it was below freezing, and sneakers with thick socks in the summer heat. LOL

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 7/17/02 at 23:36 (089925)

Hi Suzanne! Have you tried the Tatami's shoe - it is trendy looking; comfy & not as 'hard' as the orig. Birk. I like it as a 'change off' from the hard Birks as well as being able to wear it w/ shorts, capris, etc. Check it out! I think you may like its looks - it comes in narrow only - but the narrow really was wide enough to suit my medium width feet. I wish you luck in your next shopping trip & a nicer sales rep! I don't blame you for being disappointed & upset - you ought to write your complaint to the store manager! Reps like that one need to realize that sore feet are truly that!! & can upset one's life like I & others - including such a rep could ever imagine!!!! Maybe call the store in Lexington that I visited & see if they can do a mail order of a couple of pairs on your charge card; & returning those that you don't like -- - I bet that would work & you may find what you like & what you can wear comfortably - Again - good luck!

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 08:56 (090091)

Hi, Carole. Thanks! You always have a way of making me feel better. Actually I was surprised that the Fulda - with the high arches - did not feel very good. Perhaps it was the arch bump placement; it seems I always tend to scoot my foot forward so that the arch will 'hit' me right. Also, my Arizonas and Bostons are soft footbed, and it seems that the regular Birks always feel so hard to me. Alas...I think my feet are like NO one else's in the world! :-) (Of course, how many of us who post here have felt that way?!)

Glad you're still experiencing progress! I actually kept my Arizonas on yesterday for quite a while (I still always wear them first thing in the morning when I get up.) It was a nice break from the lace-ups, and I just tried to 'listen to my feet' as I think you have advised before.

I'm happy your NB shoes are still working well for you!

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 09:01 (090092)

Hi, Rachel! Thanks for responding. I DO like the Tatami shoes which I have tried (the looks as well as the feel of the footbed) except for the fact that they stop at a 43, and it is the alternative sizing which makes them run a size smaller than the classic. So the longest size is about an inch too short for me.

I do appreciate your taking the time to give me the store name in Lexington. I intend to check that out!

Happy riding! Glad to hear you are still improving so much!

Re: Some feet need a little cushioning... or a lot

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 11:26 (090108)

Suzanne,

Have you tried any shoe that has LOTS of cushioning, but is a reasonable shoe for PF? I really enjoy the cushioning now that I'm not limping slowly and carefully. I can just sort of gallop along in my clumsy way, without banging up my feet.

I agree about the regular Birkenstocks feeling too hard. They didn't feel too hard when my PF was worse, and I needed something hard pushing up on my arch, but now that I can walk farther I need more cushioning than either Birkenstock or SAS can provide to me. The NB 991's provide that cushioning in a reasonably good shoe for my feet. Not perfect at all, but they are good enough so that I can get around pretty well.

It's amazing to realize at bedtime that I had the same shoes on all day. I'm sure that those who never had PF wouldn't understand that statement at all!

I never noticed the arch support in my NB's until after reading Elliott's post. It's got a very gradual slope, way more gradual than the Birkenstock arch support bumps, and with my medium to high arches it feels more like the way the shoe is tilted rather than a real arch support. Flat but tilted.

I know what you mean about the feeling that your feet are totally unique. Our feet have always seemed similar in some respects. Still, in other respects maybe they aren't.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/16/02 at 23:12 (089831)

Thanks so much, Rachael! I will print this information to save.

Today I had a frustrating visit to a Birkenstock store in Indiana. My husband and I had taken his mother home after a visit with us, and we stopped at some shops about an hour from her home. There was a Birkenstock store, and I thought I could at least try on some other types to see if perhaps something would work for me. I keep wishing for a sandal to wear in hot weather.

The salesperson really did not show much knowledge or people skills. I determined to not hold it against her that she knew nothing of PF and didn't seem particularly interested in anything I said or asked. I went on and asked to see the Fulda, the Grenada, and the Nebraska. She brought out the Fulda but said they didn't have the Nebraska, but it would be a 'waste of money' if I was interested in taking out the removable footbed. I told her I saw a Grenada on display, but she said it was a 39 and the only one. I later looked at it and saw it was a 41, and there was another Grenada beside it which was a 39. But I guess what tipped the scales was when I asked if she would check and tell me what sandals she had in a 43 that I might try, and she replied, 'It's really hard to find much that looks nice when you have such long feet', and then walked away.

I felt like taking her aside and talking to her like one of my first graders, saying something like, 'Now, honey...let me help you understand that first of all you will sell a lot more shoes if you treat people nicely and say positive things, and second, you'll be a much more pleasant person...' But other customers walked in, and I gave up and just left. My husband said she would have just thought I was an 'old fogey' anyway.

It did disappoint me and hurt my feelings, but I'll get over it! :-) I thought I'd just tell you all and get it off my chest. Of course having someone respond to me in that way was nothing compared to the foot pain and trauma experienced by so many who post here. It was just a nuisance, but I felt it was unnecessary.

Thanks for listening and for posting about the store! Maybe I can go there someday. On the positive side, I did do quite a bit of walking today, and my feet feel pretty good still. One day it will be cool again, and the SAS shoes and Birk inserts won't feel so hot! I am grateful that they are still working for me.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/02 at 23:29 (089833)

My pain is a lot less too, now, and yes, it is wonderful and like being let out of jail. Only a few months ago I thought it would never go away, and posted to the docs asking if it ever did! They said it does.

I still haven't healed completely, but pretty close and I'm still improving as time goes by. My feet get tired and achy more easily than they did before PF. Generally I can just ignore that, and it's been a long time since I felt the severe crippling pain that PF can bring, thank goodness.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 7/16/02 at 23:41 (089835)

What an awful salesperson! It is so aggravating to be treated rudely like that. If my memory is correct, you have been to a better Birkenstock store than that in Kentucky. So, at least you know they aren't all like that, and I'm glad.

How was the Fulda? It sounds like maybe it didn't work for you. Oh well. They do tend to be about a half size smaller than the classic footbed. Like, I wear between a 39 and 40 in the classic footbed, and the 40 Fulda fits me very well. So, it is sort of like a 39 1/2. A 43 Fulda might be a little small for you (as far as bump placement). The Fulda is my favorite Birkenstock.

I'm glad to hear that your feet did so well with all that walking! That is a big triumph after all you've been through. Even in this heat, I am wearing my NB 991's most of the day instead of my Birkenstock sandals. I just pretend it's not hot. My co-workers probably think I'm nuts, because I was wearing Birkenstock sandals last January when it was below freezing, and sneakers with thick socks in the summer heat. LOL

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 7/17/02 at 23:36 (089925)

Hi Suzanne! Have you tried the Tatami's shoe - it is trendy looking; comfy & not as 'hard' as the orig. Birk. I like it as a 'change off' from the hard Birks as well as being able to wear it w/ shorts, capris, etc. Check it out! I think you may like its looks - it comes in narrow only - but the narrow really was wide enough to suit my medium width feet. I wish you luck in your next shopping trip & a nicer sales rep! I don't blame you for being disappointed & upset - you ought to write your complaint to the store manager! Reps like that one need to realize that sore feet are truly that!! & can upset one's life like I & others - including such a rep could ever imagine!!!! Maybe call the store in Lexington that I visited & see if they can do a mail order of a couple of pairs on your charge card; & returning those that you don't like -- - I bet that would work & you may find what you like & what you can wear comfortably - Again - good luck!

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 08:56 (090091)

Hi, Carole. Thanks! You always have a way of making me feel better. Actually I was surprised that the Fulda - with the high arches - did not feel very good. Perhaps it was the arch bump placement; it seems I always tend to scoot my foot forward so that the arch will 'hit' me right. Also, my Arizonas and Bostons are soft footbed, and it seems that the regular Birks always feel so hard to me. Alas...I think my feet are like NO one else's in the world! :-) (Of course, how many of us who post here have felt that way?!)

Glad you're still experiencing progress! I actually kept my Arizonas on yesterday for quite a while (I still always wear them first thing in the morning when I get up.) It was a nice break from the lace-ups, and I just tried to 'listen to my feet' as I think you have advised before.

I'm happy your NB shoes are still working well for you!

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 09:01 (090092)

Hi, Rachel! Thanks for responding. I DO like the Tatami shoes which I have tried (the looks as well as the feel of the footbed) except for the fact that they stop at a 43, and it is the alternative sizing which makes them run a size smaller than the classic. So the longest size is about an inch too short for me.

I do appreciate your taking the time to give me the store name in Lexington. I intend to check that out!

Happy riding! Glad to hear you are still improving so much!

Re: Some feet need a little cushioning... or a lot

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 11:26 (090108)

Suzanne,

Have you tried any shoe that has LOTS of cushioning, but is a reasonable shoe for PF? I really enjoy the cushioning now that I'm not limping slowly and carefully. I can just sort of gallop along in my clumsy way, without banging up my feet.

I agree about the regular Birkenstocks feeling too hard. They didn't feel too hard when my PF was worse, and I needed something hard pushing up on my arch, but now that I can walk farther I need more cushioning than either Birkenstock or SAS can provide to me. The NB 991's provide that cushioning in a reasonably good shoe for my feet. Not perfect at all, but they are good enough so that I can get around pretty well.

It's amazing to realize at bedtime that I had the same shoes on all day. I'm sure that those who never had PF wouldn't understand that statement at all!

I never noticed the arch support in my NB's until after reading Elliott's post. It's got a very gradual slope, way more gradual than the Birkenstock arch support bumps, and with my medium to high arches it feels more like the way the shoe is tilted rather than a real arch support. Flat but tilted.

I know what you mean about the feeling that your feet are totally unique. Our feet have always seemed similar in some respects. Still, in other respects maybe they aren't.

Carole C