Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

German Translation

Posted by Jean P. on 7/17/02 at 08:53 (089856)

Here is a link http://www.oeaw.ac.at/~ita/ebene5/d2-2b10.pdf to an article that is suppose to discuss the effectiveness of ESWT. Unfortunately I don't read German - I thought perhaps someone here can. She has wrote a couple of articles and been on the radio about ESWT in Austria. Thanks for you help.

Re: German Translation

Tatjana H. on 7/17/02 at 18:05 (089896)

Hi!

i read german. unfortunately the link is to an abstract only and not to the whole article. also I can't see when it was written!!!
It says among other things that ESWT has been used in Ortho since 1992 for a couple of conditions, like PF and tennis elbow. It says that evidence based proof for the effectiveness is lacking so far, in a scientific sense that's why the insurances in austria , germany and switzerland decided not to pay for it. it says that ESWT should be implied after conservative measures have failed and possibly replacing surgery that used to be second choice. she wrote that the trouble with ESWT is really that there is not a unanimous treatment scheme that has proven itself to be effective and thus is used everywhere, instead there are lots of different schemes and care givers are free to come up with their own.
finally she writes it would be good , if all treatment centers would be taking part in multicenter studies so it would be possible to find out which the best treatment scheme is.

Jean P. on 7/18/02 at 16:27 (089999)

Tatjana,

Thank you so much for your translation. This was written in 2000. I was hoping for more info. since I know have used ESWT more widely than here.

Tatjana H. on 7/17/02 at 18:05 (089896)

Hi!

i read german. unfortunately the link is to an abstract only and not to the whole article. also I can't see when it was written!!!
It says among other things that ESWT has been used in Ortho since 1992 for a couple of conditions, like PF and tennis elbow. It says that evidence based proof for the effectiveness is lacking so far, in a scientific sense that's why the insurances in austria , germany and switzerland decided not to pay for it. it says that ESWT should be implied after conservative measures have failed and possibly replacing surgery that used to be second choice. she wrote that the trouble with ESWT is really that there is not a unanimous treatment scheme that has proven itself to be effective and thus is used everywhere, instead there are lots of different schemes and care givers are free to come up with their own.
finally she writes it would be good , if all treatment centers would be taking part in multicenter studies so it would be possible to find out which the best treatment scheme is.

Jean P. on 7/18/02 at 16:27 (089999)

Tatjana,

Thank you so much for your translation. This was written in 2000. I was hoping for more info. since I know have used ESWT more widely than here.