Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The strangest of souvenirs...

Posted by Nancy N on 7/17/02 at 12:25 (089878)

I forgot to mention that while I was away, I spent several days in Germany. I have returned with a true PFer's souvenir--a tube of ibuprofen cream! I had to laugh, and my friends really thought I was nuts, but it cost me 6.70 euros, which sure beats the price if you order the stuff from the US. I don't actively have PF anymore, but I figure that it can come in handy for other things as well. We'll see--I hope it will have been worth the search!

Re: The strangest of souvenirs...

wendyn on 7/17/02 at 23:38 (089926)

Nancy, I would have bought that if I'd seen it.

Have you tried it yet?

Nancy N on 7/18/02 at 08:40 (089948)

I had to go looking for it--pharmacies in Europe tend to have a lot of items that you have to ask for, even if you don't need a prescription for them. This was one of them. I was talking to this girl who didn't speak much English (and I only know the German I learned from watching Hogan's Heroes---not entirely helpful!), but somehow she managed to get the words ' ibuprofen cream' and brought me just what I wanted.

I haven't tried it yet. I might, though, if my left shoulder keeps bothering me. Seems like a good test case :)

Re: Nancy, that's not strange at all!

Sharon W on 7/18/02 at 09:18 (089955)

Nancy,

I don't think that's strange at all. When I was in Spain, I made a point of visiting a couple of their pharmacies, to ask about various medications and find out which ones might be cheaper for me to buy there. You need to bring along your prescription bottles, though, if the medication is prescription-only in the U.S., or you MIGHT POSSIBLY be hassled by U.S. customs about bringing such drugs into the country. (Usually, they ignore it, anyway... it doesn't seem to be a high priority problem for them, what with all their worries about knives and guns and bombs and terrorists and all...)

-- Sharon

Necee on 7/19/02 at 00:16 (090058)

Better than some souvenir thats says, Made in China!

john h on 7/19/02 at 19:12 (090160)

Nancy my old haunts in Germany were Frankfurt and Weisbaden which is especially beautifull in the spring and summer.

Nancy N on 7/19/02 at 19:39 (090166)

John--

As always, there's nowhere you haven't been, is there? We have a German woman in our choir who was very upset that we took a connecting flight through Copenhagen on SAS rather than the direct Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt (and she was right, the connections in Copenhagen were nightmares in both directions). She also used to live in Wiesbaden. Apparently, she worked for the German equivalent of the FBI (in the West before reunification, and in some eastern areas afterwards). She's a true force of nature--nobody gets away with anything when she's around.

We were in Berlin, Leipzig (we sang at St. Thomas Church there, which was Bach's church), Weimar, Eisenach, and Dresden, and after leaving Germany, went to Prague and Vienna. All are lovely places, though it was a lot to try to do in 12 days. It's no wonder I'm exhausted!!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 20:06 (090170)

LOL! Nancy, the first time I read 'we took a connecting flight through Copenhagen on SAS' I visualized you zooming about the skies of Europe in black nubuck jet powered SAS shoes! Then I went off on a daydream about how much fun it would be to have shoes that could really fly.

When I got done with that, I remembered that SAS is an airline, too. That's not nearly so amusing.

Serves me right for reading the boards when I'm a wee bit tired. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/19/02 at 20:14 (090171)

Carole--

I am pretty sure that flying SAS shoes would have been better than flying SAS through Copenhagen. (To be fair, I don't know if it's any better on any other airline; I tend to blame the airport rather than the airline itself). The identical acronyms are a bit confusing, though--I got so used to the airline name that I forgot about the shoes!

john h on 7/20/02 at 09:41 (090205)

Nancy your card to me and Mary from Germany was thoughtful. Thank you. Mary wanted to who is this Nancy I know in Germany? I told her Fra Nancy was one of my girl friends from the big war that hid me out from the Gestepo when I was shot down in a P-51 over the Duseldorf ball bearing factory.

Nancy N on 7/20/02 at 10:20 (090211)

John John John.... and to think I thought you had forgotten my heroic deeds during the war!! You know it was very dangerous for me, Nancy not being a common German name and therefore more likely to attract Gestapo attention! But it was worth it!!!

wendyn on 7/17/02 at 23:38 (089926)

Nancy, I would have bought that if I'd seen it.

Have you tried it yet?

Nancy N on 7/18/02 at 08:40 (089948)

I had to go looking for it--pharmacies in Europe tend to have a lot of items that you have to ask for, even if you don't need a prescription for them. This was one of them. I was talking to this girl who didn't speak much English (and I only know the German I learned from watching Hogan's Heroes---not entirely helpful!), but somehow she managed to get the words ' ibuprofen cream' and brought me just what I wanted.

I haven't tried it yet. I might, though, if my left shoulder keeps bothering me. Seems like a good test case :)

Re: Nancy, that's not strange at all!

Sharon W on 7/18/02 at 09:18 (089955)

Nancy,

I don't think that's strange at all. When I was in Spain, I made a point of visiting a couple of their pharmacies, to ask about various medications and find out which ones might be cheaper for me to buy there. You need to bring along your prescription bottles, though, if the medication is prescription-only in the U.S., or you MIGHT POSSIBLY be hassled by U.S. customs about bringing such drugs into the country. (Usually, they ignore it, anyway... it doesn't seem to be a high priority problem for them, what with all their worries about knives and guns and bombs and terrorists and all...)

-- Sharon

Necee on 7/19/02 at 00:16 (090058)

Better than some souvenir thats says, Made in China!

john h on 7/19/02 at 19:12 (090160)

Nancy my old haunts in Germany were Frankfurt and Weisbaden which is especially beautifull in the spring and summer.

Nancy N on 7/19/02 at 19:39 (090166)

John--

As always, there's nowhere you haven't been, is there? We have a German woman in our choir who was very upset that we took a connecting flight through Copenhagen on SAS rather than the direct Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt (and she was right, the connections in Copenhagen were nightmares in both directions). She also used to live in Wiesbaden. Apparently, she worked for the German equivalent of the FBI (in the West before reunification, and in some eastern areas afterwards). She's a true force of nature--nobody gets away with anything when she's around.

We were in Berlin, Leipzig (we sang at St. Thomas Church there, which was Bach's church), Weimar, Eisenach, and Dresden, and after leaving Germany, went to Prague and Vienna. All are lovely places, though it was a lot to try to do in 12 days. It's no wonder I'm exhausted!!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 20:06 (090170)

LOL! Nancy, the first time I read 'we took a connecting flight through Copenhagen on SAS' I visualized you zooming about the skies of Europe in black nubuck jet powered SAS shoes! Then I went off on a daydream about how much fun it would be to have shoes that could really fly.

When I got done with that, I remembered that SAS is an airline, too. That's not nearly so amusing.

Serves me right for reading the boards when I'm a wee bit tired. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/19/02 at 20:14 (090171)

Carole--

I am pretty sure that flying SAS shoes would have been better than flying SAS through Copenhagen. (To be fair, I don't know if it's any better on any other airline; I tend to blame the airport rather than the airline itself). The identical acronyms are a bit confusing, though--I got so used to the airline name that I forgot about the shoes!

john h on 7/20/02 at 09:41 (090205)

Nancy your card to me and Mary from Germany was thoughtful. Thank you. Mary wanted to who is this Nancy I know in Germany? I told her Fra Nancy was one of my girl friends from the big war that hid me out from the Gestepo when I was shot down in a P-51 over the Duseldorf ball bearing factory.

Nancy N on 7/20/02 at 10:20 (090211)

John John John.... and to think I thought you had forgotten my heroic deeds during the war!! You know it was very dangerous for me, Nancy not being a common German name and therefore more likely to attract Gestapo attention! But it was worth it!!!