Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am in new orthotics and getting a great amount of relief.

Posted by Nicole K. on 7/17/02 at 16:20 (089891)

Hi all,
I had almost forgotten about heelspurs.com it's been so long and then I received the newsletter today and decided to pay a visit. Anyways, I'm writing to tell you about my new orthotics. They are great! I am so pleased with them. My right foot, which flared up in December is completely relieved and my left foot (which I have had 2 surgeries on and had PF / spur for 8yrs) is feeling quite a bit better. I am no longer having the burning pain where the actual spur is located. My left foot is still achy, likely due to the surgeries, but I can walk for a long time without thinking about it. I used to think about both of my feet with every step. I was in horrible pain and could barely walk or stand.

Anyways, I've had my new orthotics about a month now. What I had my doctor do was replicate the technique we were using with taping in orthotics. I had been taped before, but the first time I went to him, he taped me and I got complete relief. For the first time in yrs. I didn't think about this awful pain. So, the orthotics, what they have is a u-shaped cutout beneath my first toe (ray). What (I think) it does is take the pressure off the fascia.

This is now my third pair of orthotics. Most of the reason why I am here today is to tell you not to give up! They told me I had to have surgery on both of my feet to have the spurs removed. There was no way I was going to have yet another surgery considering 1 and 2 did not work. Keep trying new things; this time he actually cast my feet with plaster rather than having me step in the mold. My other pairs of orthotics were half ones, and only concentrated on supporting the heel.

Re: I am in new orthotics and getting a great amount of relief.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/17/02 at 22:26 (089920)

Nicole, I'm glad your new orthotics are working out so well! It's sure good to hear that even though your first pairs of orthotics didn't work, another pair that was made correctly for you does work for you. I too am glad you did not choose to have another surgery! Now that you are through the worst of your pain, I'll bet the rest of your recovery seems like a breeze. :)

That's interesting about the technique he used with the plaster. My only custom orthotics were soft orthotics, made by having my foot put in a box of foamy stuff while I was sitting down. She strapped my leg so my foot was positioned right and wouldn't move, but my weight wasn't on the foot. Then, when it had set, she took my foot out and whisked the box back to the back room. When it came out, the orthotics were at least two layers, one of blue foam and the bottom layer is a black eva like material. Somewhere in the process she trimmed the orthotic with scissors to fit my shoe, but I don't remember the sequence of the various steps because I was at a level 9-10 pain that day and crying while she made them.

I don't know if I ever would have healed without my soft orthotics. They were more responsible for my healing than anything else, along with rest. They really helped a LOT, just as your new ones are helping you.

Carole C

paula on 7/18/02 at 09:52 (089958)

whho was the doc? maybe folks in your area would like to see him

Carole C in NOLA on 7/17/02 at 22:26 (089920)

Nicole, I'm glad your new orthotics are working out so well! It's sure good to hear that even though your first pairs of orthotics didn't work, another pair that was made correctly for you does work for you. I too am glad you did not choose to have another surgery! Now that you are through the worst of your pain, I'll bet the rest of your recovery seems like a breeze. :)

That's interesting about the technique he used with the plaster. My only custom orthotics were soft orthotics, made by having my foot put in a box of foamy stuff while I was sitting down. She strapped my leg so my foot was positioned right and wouldn't move, but my weight wasn't on the foot. Then, when it had set, she took my foot out and whisked the box back to the back room. When it came out, the orthotics were at least two layers, one of blue foam and the bottom layer is a black eva like material. Somewhere in the process she trimmed the orthotic with scissors to fit my shoe, but I don't remember the sequence of the various steps because I was at a level 9-10 pain that day and crying while she made them.

I don't know if I ever would have healed without my soft orthotics. They were more responsible for my healing than anything else, along with rest. They really helped a LOT, just as your new ones are helping you.

Carole C

paula on 7/18/02 at 09:52 (089958)

whho was the doc? maybe folks in your area would like to see him