Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Vicki on 7/18/02 at 09:31 (089956)

I'm a 38 year old woman. Within the last 3-4 weeks, I've experienced tremendous right heel pain which seems to be worsening as time goes on. It seems to be most painful when arising out of bed in the morning. After walking on it for awhile, the pain lessens. Also, after I've sat for awhile, upon arising the pain will also be worse. It seems to hurt ALL the time though ... and has put a damper on any lengthy walking activities. I'm approx 80 pounds overweight and wondering if that extra weight has anything to do with the pain I'm experiencing. I am currently unemployed and have no health insurance. I was wondering what my condition might be and if there were any home remedies I could try to help with the pain. My friends have mentioned 'gout' and 'bone spurs'. Is there any truth to either one of those?
Any information you could provide would be most helpful.
Thanks so much.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/29/02 at 05:30 (085572)

Hi Andrew:

If you have isolated one shoe that is causing this problem, eliminate it. The tread mill if on incline could also be causing the plantar fasciitis.Try tread mill flat and see if it makes a difference.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Andrew K. on 5/29/02 at 07:57 (085581)

Hi, well on the treadmill i always run it flat, i think somehow i must have stepped wrong but ,know i really don't know, because i can't tell the difference if it can be a pulled achillies tendon or what. Would a pulled or overextended achilles tendon create heel pain. Also, on my calf muscle and hamstring tightness how can i relax that. And would you suggest i conitnue my treadmill workout. Thanks

Re: I'm not a doctor, but here's a start...

Suzanne D on 7/18/02 at 10:24 (089959)

Hello, Vicki! I am glad you found this site as I know it will be a source of information and support for you as you read and educate yourself on foot problems.

I'm not a doctor, but I have had plantar fasciitis for a year (with increasing improvement over the past several months). What you are describing sounds exactly like my symptoms and the classic symptoms of PF (as plantar fasciits is often called): pain upon arising from bed and after sitting, improved by walking but gradually getting worse as time goes on. It is hard to ever get your mind off your feet when in constant pain!

What I have learned from reading here is that actually while you may have spurs on your heel (revealed by an x-ray), these are more of a result of the PF and not the cause. Your pain is not caused by them, and you may have pain and PF without the heelspurs. But because of the association of the heelspurs with PF, the condition is sometimes referred to as having heelspurs.

The first thing to do to help yourself is to read the Heel Pain Book on this site. Go to the menu where you found Message Boards and click on Heel Pain Book. There are many practical and safe things to do to try to get some relief such as icing and stretching, etc.

Of course there is no substitute for going to the doctor for a diagnosis and treatment, but the more you understand before that visit, the more you will be able to intelligently ask the doctor questions and further help yourself. Also, while there are many wonderful and excellent doctors out there, sometimes people have posted about visits with doctors who tried to rush them into surgery or who seemed not too up on all the treatment options. Knowing as much as you can before you go to the doctor can only be to your benefit.

We welcome you here and wish for you the best in finding healing and help. Please read the Heel Pain Book! It will be time well spent.

Suzanne :-)

Re: One more thing...

Suzanne D on 7/18/02 at 10:27 (089960)

Vicki, I forgot that the words Heel Pain Book will be in blue when typed in a message. Just click on those words and you will go to the Heel Pain Book!

Re: Heel Pain...Call Dr Kiper

Ron P. on 7/18/02 at 12:11 (089965)

Hi Vicki

Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his liquid silicone orthotics helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck!

Jane T on 7/18/02 at 14:56 (089994)

DId they actually measure you through the mail? Had you tried other orthotics? I have had about three custom and many, many over the counter. It is tempting, but expensive and I was concerned regarding the right measurement
Thanks for the input
Jane

diane on 7/19/02 at 08:47 (090090)

your kinda between a rock and a hard spot. you need to see a good doc. and get several opinions before any surgery.....i had the surgery 'spur removal' and arthritis has set in that foot on the left.... so seek out all options. and i too have been told weight loss would help .i have loss 20 lbs so far and no relief.. i also have a spur in the left foot ...i would get cortizone shots and since you are not working.....after the shots i would stay completely off of it.i had the shots and was pain free for several months...and i do believe if i had gotten off the foot completely instead of continuing to work on it, it might would have made a difference.it kind like walking with a broke leg it won't heal till you off of it.i am not a doc. but i been there and done that......and you need to do whats right for you. what didn't work for others may work for you.....all my sister did was take the shots and she's pain free still........good luck ..diane

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/29/02 at 05:30 (085572)

Hi Andrew:

If you have isolated one shoe that is causing this problem, eliminate it. The tread mill if on incline could also be causing the plantar fasciitis.Try tread mill flat and see if it makes a difference.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Andrew K. on 5/29/02 at 07:57 (085581)

Hi, well on the treadmill i always run it flat, i think somehow i must have stepped wrong but ,know i really don't know, because i can't tell the difference if it can be a pulled achillies tendon or what. Would a pulled or overextended achilles tendon create heel pain. Also, on my calf muscle and hamstring tightness how can i relax that. And would you suggest i conitnue my treadmill workout. Thanks

Re: I'm not a doctor, but here's a start...

Suzanne D on 7/18/02 at 10:24 (089959)

Hello, Vicki! I am glad you found this site as I know it will be a source of information and support for you as you read and educate yourself on foot problems.

I'm not a doctor, but I have had plantar fasciitis for a year (with increasing improvement over the past several months). What you are describing sounds exactly like my symptoms and the classic symptoms of PF (as plantar fasciits is often called): pain upon arising from bed and after sitting, improved by walking but gradually getting worse as time goes on. It is hard to ever get your mind off your feet when in constant pain!

What I have learned from reading here is that actually while you may have spurs on your heel (revealed by an x-ray), these are more of a result of the PF and not the cause. Your pain is not caused by them, and you may have pain and PF without the heelspurs. But because of the association of the heelspurs with PF, the condition is sometimes referred to as having heelspurs.

The first thing to do to help yourself is to read the Heel Pain Book on this site. Go to the menu where you found Message Boards and click on Heel Pain Book. There are many practical and safe things to do to try to get some relief such as icing and stretching, etc.

Of course there is no substitute for going to the doctor for a diagnosis and treatment, but the more you understand before that visit, the more you will be able to intelligently ask the doctor questions and further help yourself. Also, while there are many wonderful and excellent doctors out there, sometimes people have posted about visits with doctors who tried to rush them into surgery or who seemed not too up on all the treatment options. Knowing as much as you can before you go to the doctor can only be to your benefit.

We welcome you here and wish for you the best in finding healing and help. Please read the Heel Pain Book! It will be time well spent.

Suzanne :-)

Re: One more thing...

Suzanne D on 7/18/02 at 10:27 (089960)

Vicki, I forgot that the words Heel Pain Book will be in blue when typed in a message. Just click on those words and you will go to the Heel Pain Book!

Ron P. on 7/18/02 at 12:11 (089965)

Hi Vicki

Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his liquid silicone orthotics helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck!

Jane T on 7/18/02 at 14:56 (089994)

DId they actually measure you through the mail? Had you tried other orthotics? I have had about three custom and many, many over the counter. It is tempting, but expensive and I was concerned regarding the right measurement
Thanks for the input
Jane

diane on 7/19/02 at 08:47 (090090)

your kinda between a rock and a hard spot. you need to see a good doc. and get several opinions before any surgery.....i had the surgery 'spur removal' and arthritis has set in that foot on the left.... so seek out all options. and i too have been told weight loss would help .i have loss 20 lbs so far and no relief.. i also have a spur in the left foot ...i would get cortizone shots and since you are not working.....after the shots i would stay completely off of it.i had the shots and was pain free for several months...and i do believe if i had gotten off the foot completely instead of continuing to work on it, it might would have made a difference.it kind like walking with a broke leg it won't heal till you off of it.i am not a doc. but i been there and done that......and you need to do whats right for you. what didn't work for others may work for you.....all my sister did was take the shots and she's pain free still........good luck ..diane