Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Correct foot 'posture' while walking/standing

Posted by Andrue on 7/18/02 at 12:32 (089969)

I'm currently on a prescription NSAID (Diclofenac) and this seems to have had the desired affect on my inflammation. I still have some pain in various tendons and I'm assuming that this is from using my feet differently to avoid putting pressure on the inflamed area.

One thing I've noticed is that it feels as if I'm holding my arch high as I stand/walk. I can relax my arch and feel the arch support in my sneakers or I can walk so that I can't feel it. When I relax the arch completely it doesn't collapse - there's usually enough clearence to slide a pencil in some way.

Should I be trying to keep the arch erect like this is should I train myself to let it relax or will this result in me developing flat feet?

Re: Correct foot 'posture' while walking/standing

wendyn on 7/18/02 at 13:27 (089975)

Andrue, I do this if I am barefoot. My physio therapist told me that it was causing some of the trigger points/cramping in my feet and legs.

I generally don't do it when I'm wearing shoes, so I try to wear my Birks almost all of the time.

I still have to watch it though, if I'm standing for any length of time I notice that I curl my toes under to prop up my arches.

Re: Interesting post! Musing about re-building arch strength

Carole C in NOLA on 7/18/02 at 20:50 (090016)

This is an interesting post. I wonder if the erect position of your arch feels like 'the way it used to be' or like something new. Also, I wonder if letting it relax results in pain or an over-stretched feeling.

I have some similar observations but what I'm going to say in this post only applies to me. I don't know what's normal for other people. I'm a person with naturally medium to high arches, and my feet are almost completely healed from my PF. I can do some things I never would have dared to try even a couple of months ago. One of these things is to walk barefoot around the apartment, briefly.

I only walk barefoot with my arch held erect like that. To me, that feels normal, 'the way it used to be' before PF. The length of time which I will walk barefoot depends on how long I can comfortably do so with my arches reasonably erect. When my arches are erect, my plantar fascia don't get overstretched or strained. It's sort of like having my feet taped, I suppose, to keep my plantar fascia from being overstretched or strained... but my own feet are strong enough now, to take care of that for me.

I won't walk barefoot with my arches relaxed, because that seems to be a prelude to overstretching and eventually, pain, for me. As I heal and rebuild strength, the new stronger foot tissues seem to help to keep my arches erect.

Carole C

Andrue on 7/19/02 at 02:00 (090069)

For me the erect feeling feels unusual..protective even. It feels more natural to let my arch relax but of course it isn't always right to relax your muscles. I suppose it might depend where the damage actually is. As I've never had real problems walking it might be that my plantar is quite strong and healthy where yours isn't and won't mind the extra stress.

I know that prior to taking the NSAID that would bring too much of the front of my heel under pressure and it would hurt. My osteo. is convinced that the pain is at the point where the arch muscle inserts into the heel. When asked why he said that it was the most likely source if the muscle was under stress.

It occurs to me that perhaps by keeping the muscle tight all the time (instead perhaps of just tightening it during the heel lift phase of walking?) I might be overusing it.

I must say that I'm impressed with the NSAID so far. My feet are still uncomfortable but now it just feels like the various tendons/muscles are aching (curiously I still get that in my arms and hands as well). I've lost the deep inflammation feeling which if everyone is right is the thing that's caused all the trouble.

Of course the NSAID does mean avoiding alcohol but I was 'due' a month's abstinence anyway :)

Re: Correct foot 'posture' while walking/standing

wendyn on 7/18/02 at 13:27 (089975)

Andrue, I do this if I am barefoot. My physio therapist told me that it was causing some of the trigger points/cramping in my feet and legs.

I generally don't do it when I'm wearing shoes, so I try to wear my Birks almost all of the time.

I still have to watch it though, if I'm standing for any length of time I notice that I curl my toes under to prop up my arches.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/18/02 at 20:50 (090016)

This is an interesting post. I wonder if the erect position of your arch feels like 'the way it used to be' or like something new. Also, I wonder if letting it relax results in pain or an over-stretched feeling.

I have some similar observations but what I'm going to say in this post only applies to me. I don't know what's normal for other people. I'm a person with naturally medium to high arches, and my feet are almost completely healed from my PF. I can do some things I never would have dared to try even a couple of months ago. One of these things is to walk barefoot around the apartment, briefly.

I only walk barefoot with my arch held erect like that. To me, that feels normal, 'the way it used to be' before PF. The length of time which I will walk barefoot depends on how long I can comfortably do so with my arches reasonably erect. When my arches are erect, my plantar fascia don't get overstretched or strained. It's sort of like having my feet taped, I suppose, to keep my plantar fascia from being overstretched or strained... but my own feet are strong enough now, to take care of that for me.

I won't walk barefoot with my arches relaxed, because that seems to be a prelude to overstretching and eventually, pain, for me. As I heal and rebuild strength, the new stronger foot tissues seem to help to keep my arches erect.

Carole C

Andrue on 7/19/02 at 02:00 (090069)

For me the erect feeling feels unusual..protective even. It feels more natural to let my arch relax but of course it isn't always right to relax your muscles. I suppose it might depend where the damage actually is. As I've never had real problems walking it might be that my plantar is quite strong and healthy where yours isn't and won't mind the extra stress.

I know that prior to taking the NSAID that would bring too much of the front of my heel under pressure and it would hurt. My osteo. is convinced that the pain is at the point where the arch muscle inserts into the heel. When asked why he said that it was the most likely source if the muscle was under stress.

It occurs to me that perhaps by keeping the muscle tight all the time (instead perhaps of just tightening it during the heel lift phase of walking?) I might be overusing it.

I must say that I'm impressed with the NSAID so far. My feet are still uncomfortable but now it just feels like the various tendons/muscles are aching (curiously I still get that in my arms and hands as well). I've lost the deep inflammation feeling which if everyone is right is the thing that's caused all the trouble.

Of course the NSAID does mean avoiding alcohol but I was 'due' a month's abstinence anyway :)