Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swelling at incision site two weeks after surgery for plantar fascia release and heal spur.

Posted by Camille C. on 7/18/02 at 16:31 (090000)

Dear Dr. Foot,

I had a heel spur removed on July 1st and a partial release of the plantar fascia. I am 44 years old. My Surgeon performed the surgery with the
2' cut method on the side of my foot . My stitches were removed on the 9th and I went for a follow up visit today. There was
swelling at the incision point but the stitches are healing nicely and not red. The swelling inclues the incision point and an oval
area of about 1 3/8' total and is upraised about 1/4'. The Doctor did a needle aspiration to determine if there was an infection.
No fluid came out, so he said it could be a sarcoma. I looked up sarcoma and it says cancer, so I called them back and they said no, it is not cancer... it is from the cut of the surgery and could be scar tissue. They prescribed erythrocin 500MG and Naproxen
500MG for swelling reduction. Is it normal for the area to be swollen at this time? If it is not, then what could it be if not
an infection? If it is normal, how long will it remain swollen? Could it be excess scar tissue after just two weeks? If so
should I massage the area, or do anything else to prevent it from getting more obtrusive?
Thank you

Re: Swelling at incision site two weeks after surgery for plantar fascia release and heal spur.

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/18/02 at 19:24 (090006)

Only your doctor should be answering these questions. It is not unusual for there to be continued swelling and tightness of the tissues. What you are feeling may be some thickening due to sutures below the skin and some hematoma formation (blood filling in the 'deadspace' in the tissue). My main concern is why would your doctor even mention the word sarcoma? This is a very serious condition and a term that shouldn't be casually tossed at patients. I would speak with your doctor ASAP and have him give you a full description of his/her thoughts and why he even mentioned that term.

Re: Swelling at incision site two weeks after surgery for plantar fascia release and heal spur.

diane on 7/19/02 at 08:27 (090087)

are you having allot pain in your arches since the surgery...and also accross the top of your foot.

Camille C. on 7/19/02 at 09:17 (090096)

Dear Diane,

No there has been no pain in the arche. There was some swelling, but very minimal....mostly at the wound site, however
the top of my foot was bruised and got darker after 3 days, but now it's gone. I am walking pretty well and only used a walker for 2-3 days. I relly liked the Doctor, and thought I was recovering at high speed until yesterday when he said that sarcoma thing and passed it off like it was nothing. I am terrified and lost sleep last night over it. I looked it up and it means a cancerous condition, but the Latin term means a fleshy mass.
I am very angry for what he said. It has been looking better every day and I would imagine that the wound site would be swellen for a long time. After all the procedure took 45 minutes to an hour and he did cut through muscle, so there was trauma
to the tissue. I really don't know what he expected to see after two and a half weeks. He said it should look like the other foot ie be flat on the inside where he cut. In the beginning he said it would take 6-8 weeks for full recovery. He was recommended by a friend. I saw him only twice before he did the surgery. I had been to other doctors and knew I had the heel spur and plantar fasciitis for 12-14 years. On the post op visit no one knew why I was there and they didn't have my chart, so I told them and they said the chart was at a different office. The next visit was the stitches removal and his nurse assistant look the stitches out. She said she was going to put on a butterfly bandage, but used some sort of tape directly across the wound approx 4-5 thin strips. It fell off as soon as I got home, so I rebandaged myself with gauze and tape. That is the day it started to swell a little more. He didn't put me on an antibiotic until the post op visit when I suggested it to him. I was afraid of infection because after all the cut was on my foot....he said, ' good idea' and prescribed seven days of Erythrocin....now he has prescribed it again because of the swelling at the incision site, but he doesn't think it's infected. He does a lot of operations, maybe he thinks he did it 4 to 6 months ago, It seems like a factory and he breezes in and out so fast that I don't have time to ask pertinent questions. Yesterday the girl at the front desk asked me if I was a new patient, then I said, 'No I had surgery two weeks ago. ' She then found me in the system I suppose... Any thoughts?

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/18/02 at 19:24 (090006)

Only your doctor should be answering these questions. It is not unusual for there to be continued swelling and tightness of the tissues. What you are feeling may be some thickening due to sutures below the skin and some hematoma formation (blood filling in the 'deadspace' in the tissue). My main concern is why would your doctor even mention the word sarcoma? This is a very serious condition and a term that shouldn't be casually tossed at patients. I would speak with your doctor ASAP and have him give you a full description of his/her thoughts and why he even mentioned that term.

diane on 7/19/02 at 08:27 (090087)

are you having allot pain in your arches since the surgery...and also accross the top of your foot.

Camille C. on 7/19/02 at 09:17 (090096)

Dear Diane,

No there has been no pain in the arche. There was some swelling, but very minimal....mostly at the wound site, however
the top of my foot was bruised and got darker after 3 days, but now it's gone. I am walking pretty well and only used a walker for 2-3 days. I relly liked the Doctor, and thought I was recovering at high speed until yesterday when he said that sarcoma thing and passed it off like it was nothing. I am terrified and lost sleep last night over it. I looked it up and it means a cancerous condition, but the Latin term means a fleshy mass.
I am very angry for what he said. It has been looking better every day and I would imagine that the wound site would be swellen for a long time. After all the procedure took 45 minutes to an hour and he did cut through muscle, so there was trauma
to the tissue. I really don't know what he expected to see after two and a half weeks. He said it should look like the other foot ie be flat on the inside where he cut. In the beginning he said it would take 6-8 weeks for full recovery. He was recommended by a friend. I saw him only twice before he did the surgery. I had been to other doctors and knew I had the heel spur and plantar fasciitis for 12-14 years. On the post op visit no one knew why I was there and they didn't have my chart, so I told them and they said the chart was at a different office. The next visit was the stitches removal and his nurse assistant look the stitches out. She said she was going to put on a butterfly bandage, but used some sort of tape directly across the wound approx 4-5 thin strips. It fell off as soon as I got home, so I rebandaged myself with gauze and tape. That is the day it started to swell a little more. He didn't put me on an antibiotic until the post op visit when I suggested it to him. I was afraid of infection because after all the cut was on my foot....he said, ' good idea' and prescribed seven days of Erythrocin....now he has prescribed it again because of the swelling at the incision site, but he doesn't think it's infected. He does a lot of operations, maybe he thinks he did it 4 to 6 months ago, It seems like a factory and he breezes in and out so fast that I don't have time to ask pertinent questions. Yesterday the girl at the front desk asked me if I was a new patient, then I said, 'No I had surgery two weeks ago. ' She then found me in the system I suppose... Any thoughts?