Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post ESWT treament and hallux limitus - Dr Lee

Posted by Niels on 7/19/02 at 05:48 (090071)

Hi dr Lee

I have read your instuctive post just below.

I have just received a session of 3 ESWT treatments with one week intervals. The Evotron from HMT was used. But i did not receive any post treatment instructions at all !

I still wear my custon orthosis. But i dont strech or ice, as i have tried this so many times before without feeling any improvement. Though i have streched very gently, it has often resulted in more pain, normally at the back of the heel. I simply dont know how to stech correctly and gently enough. Please tell me how.

I also have hallux limitus in both big toes. Do you believe that this would prevent ESWT from healing my pf ? DO you normally recommend surgery of hallux limitus prior to ESWT? Or is there anything else to to against my stiff big toes ?

My foot pain (in both feet)has now lasted 3 yaers. I have a high arch and neder take a step without my orthosis.

Thanks.

Re: Post ESWT treament and hallux limitus - Dr Lee

john h on 7/19/02 at 09:17 (090095)

I had surgery for Hallux Limitus, TTS, and a Baxter PF procedure all at once. I then had ESWT about one year later. I think I would have the Hallux Limitus surgery (Cheilectomy) first because this might relieve some of your PF problems as your great toe is allowed to flew up and start stretching the fascia. Hallux limitus also may cause you to walk in an unnatural fashion thereby making your PF worse or may contributing to its cause in the first place. Do not let them put in an artifical joint for your hallux or fuse it unless you have absolutely not cartlidge left.

Re: Post ESWT treament and hallux limitus - Dr Lee

john h on 7/19/02 at 09:17 (090095)

I had surgery for Hallux Limitus, TTS, and a Baxter PF procedure all at once. I then had ESWT about one year later. I think I would have the Hallux Limitus surgery (Cheilectomy) first because this might relieve some of your PF problems as your great toe is allowed to flew up and start stretching the fascia. Hallux limitus also may cause you to walk in an unnatural fashion thereby making your PF worse or may contributing to its cause in the first place. Do not let them put in an artifical joint for your hallux or fuse it unless you have absolutely not cartlidge left.