Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Dr. - give me the news! (-:

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 7/19/02 at 07:51 (090080)

Dr.! Dr.! & others too......(give me the news! remember that song!)
I am wondering - I too am at a pretty good place in my recovery as Carole & some others seem to be by the posts that they write....but I, too, have that 'over stretched' rubbery feeling in my feet that causes tenderness - -after excessive horse riding or walking. Is this an 'overdone' feeling? Yes, Dr. C - I am wearing the pronation control device when I ride......but, I get 'nervous' when feeling this as I fret that pf will re-onset....but a day of rest & a nite of sleep usually does the recovery & maybe some soaking! - Of course I am still doing a daily vioxx. How does one 'figure' out when one is stretched enough - not too much; & not too little causing tightness! Will one's body (the fascia) 'remember' this eventually upon complete healing? What can you advise? Thanks!!!!

Re: Dr. Dr. - give me the news! (-:

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 12:09 (090115)

For me it's a balancing act.

On the one hand, I don't want to over-do and re-injure my PF.

On the other hand, I want to live my life, just like you do.

I sort of try to get an overall feel for how my feet are responding. If they get worse and stay that way for a few days, I don't do whatever caused that to happen. If my feet only hurt more for a day, and if that level of pain helped me to live my life, I don't worry about it. I think in the latter case, this level of over-doing slows down my overall healing but doesn't stop it. As long as I am still getting better, I choose to accept a slower rate of healing in order to live my life.

As far as my stretching regimen goes, I have never done more than mild, seated stretches. I get more than enough benefit from them if I do them several times a day for long enough. If my feet are really hurting badly, I might do my gentle stretching for as long as 20-30 minutes or so, off and on, in front of the TV. And, I might end up by pulling gently on my toes which is about as rough as my stretches get. Interestingly, I have never harmed my feet from stretching, nor has it caused any pain whatsoever, even immediately. I don't do stretches that cause pain or damage my feet. Stretching has been a big help to me.

Lately, since my feet have been so much better, I have stopped doing the stretches. I don't feel I need them if my feet and tendons don't hurt or feel tight. Now, I only do stretches when my feet hurt and/or my tendons feel tight, like for example after I over-do.

Carole C

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/19/02 at 20:16 (090173)

Rachel,

I believe I was the one that recommended the Fabrifoam Pronation Spring Control, and I was wondering how you were doing with it. Let me know, I'm curious.

RACHAEL T. on 7/19/02 at 22:19 (090184)

I have used the control device this past week - riding more horses than I have been. I feel like it is a bit of help that is more comfortable than taping - but I don't think it would be ideal in the past in my 'acute' stages......at this time, though, I think it is an asset - more as time goes by on this one. But, I will say it is quite comfy & not 'binding' nor is it constricting to the point thatI cannot move....& yes, it fits easily into my riding boots!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 12:09 (090115)

For me it's a balancing act.

On the one hand, I don't want to over-do and re-injure my PF.

On the other hand, I want to live my life, just like you do.

I sort of try to get an overall feel for how my feet are responding. If they get worse and stay that way for a few days, I don't do whatever caused that to happen. If my feet only hurt more for a day, and if that level of pain helped me to live my life, I don't worry about it. I think in the latter case, this level of over-doing slows down my overall healing but doesn't stop it. As long as I am still getting better, I choose to accept a slower rate of healing in order to live my life.

As far as my stretching regimen goes, I have never done more than mild, seated stretches. I get more than enough benefit from them if I do them several times a day for long enough. If my feet are really hurting badly, I might do my gentle stretching for as long as 20-30 minutes or so, off and on, in front of the TV. And, I might end up by pulling gently on my toes which is about as rough as my stretches get. Interestingly, I have never harmed my feet from stretching, nor has it caused any pain whatsoever, even immediately. I don't do stretches that cause pain or damage my feet. Stretching has been a big help to me.

Lately, since my feet have been so much better, I have stopped doing the stretches. I don't feel I need them if my feet and tendons don't hurt or feel tight. Now, I only do stretches when my feet hurt and/or my tendons feel tight, like for example after I over-do.

Carole C

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/19/02 at 20:16 (090173)

Rachel,

I believe I was the one that recommended the Fabrifoam Pronation Spring Control, and I was wondering how you were doing with it. Let me know, I'm curious.

RACHAEL T. on 7/19/02 at 22:19 (090184)

I have used the control device this past week - riding more horses than I have been. I feel like it is a bit of help that is more comfortable than taping - but I don't think it would be ideal in the past in my 'acute' stages......at this time, though, I think it is an asset - more as time goes by on this one. But, I will say it is quite comfy & not 'binding' nor is it constricting to the point thatI cannot move....& yes, it fits easily into my riding boots!