Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain from running...not sure if PF

Posted by Bill P on 7/19/02 at 09:14 (090094)

Hi all,

I started a running schedule last week after not excercising very much for a while. I ran a mile three times a week. After the first four runs, I felt fine, no problems. On the fifth night I think I pushed a little harder and my heel was really hurting the next day. After reading information on this site, I thought it might be PF, but my symptoms differ a little bit:

* The pain is at the back and sides of my heel, not on the bottom of the foot.
* It does not hurt when making contact with the ground, but when lifting the foot during walking.
* It does not subside after walking on it a little, in fact it hurts more.

Could this be something else?

Bill

Re: Heel pain from running...not sure if PF

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/19/02 at 11:34 (090111)

Bill:

Could be the start of a calcaneal bursitis. The impact of runing on the heel can create this type of pain. How old are the sneakers that your running in and what is the surface your running on?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Bill P on 7/20/02 at 12:18 (090213)

Sneakers are brand new New Balance. Surface is neighborhood road - smooth but with some slight incline/decline. The last part of my run is down a slight slope, and I think I pounded a little too hard down it as I was running out of gas, but still trying to make good time.

Thanks.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/19/02 at 11:34 (090111)

Bill:

Could be the start of a calcaneal bursitis. The impact of runing on the heel can create this type of pain. How old are the sneakers that your running in and what is the surface your running on?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Bill P on 7/20/02 at 12:18 (090213)

Sneakers are brand new New Balance. Surface is neighborhood road - smooth but with some slight incline/decline. The last part of my run is down a slight slope, and I think I pounded a little too hard down it as I was running out of gas, but still trying to make good time.

Thanks.