Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Berkinstock shoe inserts, anyone?

Posted by JK1 on 7/19/02 at 11:36 (090112)

I just bought a pair. So far, so good. My 4 pair of custom
orthotics did nothing for my PF; I have a high arch 'cavous deformity'.
Anyone ever use these inserts? They cost $60.00

Re: Berkinstock shoe inserts, anyone?

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 14:34 (090131)

I presently use the 3/4 length light blue Birkenstock inserts, and they have worked well for me. The arch support seems just in the right places, and they have done well in my SAS walking shoes. What shoes do you wear yours in?

I hope they continue to work well for you!
Suzanne :-)

john h on 7/19/02 at 19:07 (090157)

I tried both of the Birk inserts and neither helped. Actually they eventually caused more pain. I am of the opinion if you are going to wear orthotics they need to be custom fitted to your feet so as not to put any pressure on the area of your pain. Find a doctor who will take the time to watch you walk and analyize your gaint and symptoms and properly fit those devils or you could end up worse than before you started using them. I have been wearing the Footmax for about 2 years when I am not in Birks or Mesphito sandals. I had them adjusted twice so that I now have no pressure in the area of where my pain eminates from.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 19:45 (090167)

On the other hand, John, I like pressure at the insertional point! I know, I must be nuts, but it really feels good to have something pushing right there on the place just right at the front of my heel, on the bottom of my foot but a little towards the medial side.

My custom soft orthotics were the best of anything for pushing into my foot right at that area. I really loved that and it seemed to help especially when my PF was acute. Birkenstocks have a bump that can push there too, although they sort of 'miss' unless I push my foot further forward in them.

So, for me custom orthotics provide the push that I need, in the spot where you need to have no pressure. That is amusing. :)

Carole C

JK1 on 7/21/02 at 13:16 (090288)

I'm using the Berk isnerts in my around-the-house shoes (Merrel soft
clogs) and my work shoes (flat, Bass loafters). Haven't tried them
in my tennis shoes (Sketchters).

Suzanne D on 7/19/02 at 14:34 (090131)

I presently use the 3/4 length light blue Birkenstock inserts, and they have worked well for me. The arch support seems just in the right places, and they have done well in my SAS walking shoes. What shoes do you wear yours in?

I hope they continue to work well for you!
Suzanne :-)

john h on 7/19/02 at 19:07 (090157)

I tried both of the Birk inserts and neither helped. Actually they eventually caused more pain. I am of the opinion if you are going to wear orthotics they need to be custom fitted to your feet so as not to put any pressure on the area of your pain. Find a doctor who will take the time to watch you walk and analyize your gaint and symptoms and properly fit those devils or you could end up worse than before you started using them. I have been wearing the Footmax for about 2 years when I am not in Birks or Mesphito sandals. I had them adjusted twice so that I now have no pressure in the area of where my pain eminates from.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/19/02 at 19:45 (090167)

On the other hand, John, I like pressure at the insertional point! I know, I must be nuts, but it really feels good to have something pushing right there on the place just right at the front of my heel, on the bottom of my foot but a little towards the medial side.

My custom soft orthotics were the best of anything for pushing into my foot right at that area. I really loved that and it seemed to help especially when my PF was acute. Birkenstocks have a bump that can push there too, although they sort of 'miss' unless I push my foot further forward in them.

So, for me custom orthotics provide the push that I need, in the spot where you need to have no pressure. That is amusing. :)

Carole C

JK1 on 7/21/02 at 13:16 (090288)

I'm using the Berk isnerts in my around-the-house shoes (Merrel soft
clogs) and my work shoes (flat, Bass loafters). Haven't tried them
in my tennis shoes (Sketchters).