Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian J...anyone re: Nerve entrapment

Posted by Pete R on 7/20/02 at 12:59 (090216)

Read a recent note from Brain re: nerve entrapment, and info that is available about this on the internet. To save me searching for hours for a decent site, has Brian or anyone got that address of a suitable site ?

Many thanks.

Re: Brian J...anyone re: Nerve entrapment

BrianJ on 7/20/02 at 18:09 (090229)

Pete --

Most sources agree that nerve entrapment sometimes causes heel pain -- but there is much debate as to how frequently it occurs and exactly what nerve is entrapped. Also, nerve entrapment and PF can both exist and cause heel pain at the same time.

I would read 'Treatment of Chronic Heel Pain by Surgical Release of the First Branch of the Lateral Plantar Nerve,' authored by Donald Baxter and published in the June 1992 issue of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. I don't think this is on the internet, so you may have to go to your local medical library.

Hope this helps.

john h on 7/20/02 at 19:24 (090240)

Hey Brian I am your libary on this one. I had TTS surgery and the Baxter procedure performed on my left foot at the same time. My Dr. trained under Dr. Baxter. For whatever reason it seems this procedure is sort of confined to Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons (Baxter Procedure). Of all the Podiatrist, Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and Orthopedic Surgeons in our city only two have been trained in the Baxter Procedure. The incision for the TTS is very long and is probably easily 6' or more stretching up over the ankle bone. It really never caused me any pain and was a short in and out surgery.

Sharon W on 7/21/02 at 21:03 (090314)

Pete,

Try this link by P. Benzie from the Curtin Podiatry Encyclopedia. It's a good overview of what nerve entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve is, how it is diagnosed, how it is treated, and some information about surgery to correct it, if other treatments fail:

http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/dept/physio/podiatry/encyclopedia/tarsaltunnel/

Sharon

BrianJ on 7/20/02 at 18:09 (090229)

Pete --

Most sources agree that nerve entrapment sometimes causes heel pain -- but there is much debate as to how frequently it occurs and exactly what nerve is entrapped. Also, nerve entrapment and PF can both exist and cause heel pain at the same time.

I would read 'Treatment of Chronic Heel Pain by Surgical Release of the First Branch of the Lateral Plantar Nerve,' authored by Donald Baxter and published in the June 1992 issue of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. I don't think this is on the internet, so you may have to go to your local medical library.

Hope this helps.

john h on 7/20/02 at 19:24 (090240)

Hey Brian I am your libary on this one. I had TTS surgery and the Baxter procedure performed on my left foot at the same time. My Dr. trained under Dr. Baxter. For whatever reason it seems this procedure is sort of confined to Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons (Baxter Procedure). Of all the Podiatrist, Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and Orthopedic Surgeons in our city only two have been trained in the Baxter Procedure. The incision for the TTS is very long and is probably easily 6' or more stretching up over the ankle bone. It really never caused me any pain and was a short in and out surgery.

Sharon W on 7/21/02 at 21:03 (090314)

Pete,

Try this link by P. Benzie from the Curtin Podiatry Encyclopedia. It's a good overview of what nerve entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve is, how it is diagnosed, how it is treated, and some information about surgery to correct it, if other treatments fail:

http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/dept/physio/podiatry/encyclopedia/tarsaltunnel/

Sharon