Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long can you walk / stand ?

Posted by Pete R on 7/20/02 at 13:52 (090220)

Most people on this site have slightly different symptoms which intrigues me. I don't have first step pain, no pain when sitting, but pain when standing for 10 mins or so, and after anywhere between 10 mins and 30 mins when walking. In truth despite many visits to different Pods I'm not totally convinced I have PF and it could be something else. What are everyone elses symptoms.....how long can you stand / sit, do you have pain on sitting etc ?

Please let me know, and if your diagnosis is not PF, state what it is.

Thanks

Re: How long can you walk / stand ?

Carole C in NOLA on 7/21/02 at 02:13 (090257)

When I first got PF last September, it was due to a repetitive motion injury. I didn't know that and for a couple of months, I kept up the activity that caused it. At first it wasn't that bad and I thought it was something that would just go away. By December I could not stand more than a minute or so, and could not walk any longer than that. My pain level was very high; but not everyone with PF has such an acute onset.

Now that I'm mostly healed and nearly over my PF, I can stand and walk for longer than you can.

Carole C

EKC on 7/21/02 at 13:14 (090287)

I have PF/TTS. On a good day, I can walk 10 min and stand in one
place ~30 sec. ON a really bad day, I have trouble making it across
a parking lot (to work) and cannot stand more than 5 sec.
I'm not sure if it is the PF or TTS that is the problem here.
I *think* it is TTS. I had a PF/TTs surgical release ~2months ago.
I'm pretty sure
the PF is going away, but I still have lots of tightness, feeling
of ache and fatiuge in my ankles; like when I walk/stand. But the
bottoms of my heels/arches seem to feel better.

DR Zuckerman on 7/21/02 at 13:39 (090293)

Hi

These are post-operative pain areas. You can have pain up to one year similiar to what you are having now. Bracing, orthosis, physical therapy may be indicated depending on your specific foot structure. Time is probaby the most important aspect for resolution. I find that heel pain will improve in an up and down cycle and then just resolve after heel surgery. Sorry that one year is a very important aspect of the healing

CarlW on 7/22/02 at 08:30 (090337)

Pete,

I too question my diagnosis of PF as my symptoms are similar to yours. I am over two years into this and can stand for 20 minutes tops and walk a comparable length of time. I had morning pain for the first month and it went away. My feet feel best first thing in the morning.

I have tried so many things that should have helped with marginal to no improvement that intuitively it seems like it could be something else.

I would like to learn more about nerve intrapment/damage to see if it could relate to my symptoms.

Suzanne D on 7/22/02 at 08:47 (090338)

Pete, I was diagnosed with PF over a year ago, with gradually increasing improvement. My pain has always been the worst the first thing in the morning when first getting out of bed and after sitting for awhile - particularly riding in the car.

When the PF 'hit', I had swelling in both feet and ankles (more on my left/worst foot), and that is something I had never experienced before in my life. That part went away after my first visit to the Pod who prescribed a week of steroids, then NSAIDS and taped.

Walking has always felt better than just standing, and it really makes a difference whether it is on carpet, or wood, or tile. Tile floors still really bother me while I can walk on wood or carpet for a long while now without much discomfort.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

I haven't walked barefoot since last August when I found this site, and I still can't imagine doing that without pain.

JK1 on 7/22/02 at 10:42 (090343)

So if I'm reading you right, It is possible that the surgery
was a success, but I won't know for 1 year?

karen k loyd on 7/22/02 at 13:35 (090354)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/22/02 at 17:11 (090369)

Suzanne, it will happen. I feel so badly that you still can't walk barefoot. I am able to start doing that again, at last. Life isn't fair, but if it were you'd have pain free feet! I think most of us here consider you to be the angel of these message boards, always giving and caring with never a harsh word for anyone.

I wouldn't recommend that anybody walk barefoot unless their PF is essentially gone. I didn't walk barefoot until my pain was down to a 0 or 1 on a scale of 1-10. That wasn't for at least 8 months after getting PF, and my PF seems to be healing pretty quickly, so most people here shouldn't try to go barefoot. Finding this site right away was a big help, as were some excellent custom soft orthotics.

This morning I took a shower barefoot, for the first time since early December. My shower shoes were right there by the shower, and I looked at them, and said to myself, 'NO' and consciously did not put them on. I feel no after-effects. None. I figure this is the 'acid test' of whether or not I'm healed.

My feet sometimes still get tired and mildly achy when I over-do, but now I know how to ice them and stretch so it goes away promptly. I have been pretty gun-shy about trying to do things that are unusually rough on the feet. I wear good shoes. But really, my feet no longer affect what I can and cannot do, and they are STILL improving.

I firmly believe it is possible to leave PF completely behind, and I think it is happening.

I hope all this talk about getting better doesn't discourage anybody. It's meant to be a helping hand to give people some hope around here. The conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book and on this board DO WORK.

Well, that wasn't for you, Suzanne. I know that you know these treatments work! I guess I was on my soap box. Sorry! LOL

Carole C

DJ on 7/22/02 at 17:18 (090371)

My area of pain is rare even for this web site. I don't have pain in the heel at all. My pain is toward the front inside of the arch, in the area of the first metarsal and cuneiform. I can't stand more than a couple minutes before I'm in pain and start leaning on my good foot. I have not been diagnosed after visits to several doctors. I suspect I have a rare form of nerve entrapment.

Re: for Carole...

Suzanne D on 7/22/02 at 17:40 (090373)

Dear Carole,

You are very kind. Thank you. And you are quite smart, too, and you help many people with your clear explanations about PF and conservative treatments. When reading your posts, it is easy to see that you are a scientist! :-)

Thanks for sharing your healing with us through the months and for also telling us things about house hunting and voyages at sea. I admire you a lot!

Glad to hear that you could shower barefoot! It seems you really have 'made it' through this whole PF ordeal and come out with flying colors.

Keep up the good work!

john h on 7/22/02 at 19:27 (090378)

Carl: After 8 years of what I think is bi-laterial PF I also have gone through periods where I thought I must have something other than PF. Usually if it looks like a rabbit and hops like a rabbit it is likely a rabbit. This is not to say you should not look for something else as your cause of pain because I sure have. Several years ago I accepted that what my problem was and is PF. I do not think my pain had even peaked at 2 years. Now after 8 years I am doing very well. At least for the past several months. Good look to you on your quest.

RACHAEL T. on 7/22/02 at 23:10 (090400)

Hi to all! I cannot imagine standing or walking w/o shoes! I haven't been barefoot since before April 2001! When sitting in the summer green grass, I remove my shoes & brush my feet against the grass as I sit - it feels so good; but I know that is the extent of my feet 'touching' the ground. Today isn't a good day - pain level went up....unsure if it is the full moon or if I overdid it yesterday in the barn. Today I tried to stay inside but I was busy prepping for another horse show travel. We depart tomorrow a.m. & are gone for 6 days......I will try to swim lots when not showing since the hotel has a pool; I found that the water did help me the last time we were showing & had a hotel w/ a pool. I can walk for a good while now - but yes, I do 'pay' for it sometimes too! OOOh, to be painfree - I long for that day!

CarlW on 7/23/02 at 08:57 (090412)

John,

Its storys like yours that help give a guy hope. My symptoms being atypical (no morning pain or pain after resting) frustrate me and make me want to read more into my case. It also seems that when you try so many things that have a '70-80 percent success rate' that statistically speaking the odds of something working are so high that when they dont you start to doubt the diagnosis.

Carl

ScottW on 7/23/02 at 09:14 (090415)

I have been told I have PF by some doctors, and that I do not have it by others. All I am sure of is that my feet ache all of the time and that the doctors (Podiatrists, Orthopedic, Sports Medicine, etc.) don't know what I have. I can stand for about 3 to 5 minutes without too much discomfort. I can walk for about 10 to 25 minutes before it gets too bad as long as the surface isn't hard (i.e. concrete). I have never had the classic morning pain myself. My feet never have sharp pain, I get a deep intense ache all over the bottoms of both of my feet on up into my ankles. I have had this for 1 ½ years and it started with playing a lot of basketball on a hard floor. Not sure though why it happened though because I had been playing basketball for the past 12 years of my life on the same type of floors. I am 31 years old and my next step is to go and see a rheumatologist. I don't hold out much hope that they will have any idea what is wrong with my feet either. I am just trying to take it easy on my feet right now and hopefully over time this will go away, whatever it is.

john h on 7/23/02 at 09:25 (090419)

Carl: I have never had first step pain either.

BrianJ on 7/23/02 at 14:01 (090436)

Scott --

As you know, my condition is nearly indentical to yours. I can stand just a few minutes without too much pain, and I can walk for maybe 15 minutes on grass. I have no 'first-step' pain, but I have a lot of pain when standing and AFTER being on my feet. Like you, my pain radiates out toward my toes and up through my ankles. I first developed this problem after repeatedly playing football on a hard dirt field.

EKC on 7/24/02 at 13:08 (090496)

Go to a neurologist and get checked for Tarsal Tunnel.
Your symptoms/history are the same as mine.
I have PF/TTS.

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 10:12 (090563)

Hi

I would love to hear more about your situation and especially about your surgery.

If you can please email me at my email address.

thanks so much
Carrie

BrianJ on 7/28/02 at 20:04 (090850)

I've already been to a neurologist. NCV test was negative. Also, no Tinel's sign. Thus, no evidence of TTS.

Kathy G on 7/30/02 at 09:46 (090984)

I have never had severe pain in the morning. I frequently experience arch pain and the heel pain started after going to PT for the muscle spasm in my calf! After a little over a year, the heel pain is much less frequent and the arch pain is pretty constant but to a much lesser degree. The calf pain is back since my two-week vacation, but I haven't got a clue as to why! Standing for more than about five minutes is a very painful ordeal but I can walk much further than I could a year ago. Walking is much more comfortable than standing.

My Pod told me that many Podiatrists use PF as a catch-all diagnosis for foot pain that they just isn't classic and can't be diagnosed.

mike l on 7/30/02 at 17:46 (091025)

hello, i have fairly identical symptoms.Have had this for years now. Soft orthotics dont help,nor do hard ones. Dr. just diagnosd me with TTS rather than PF. Wants to do surgery but not sure if convinced.Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.Have tried many things with idead that it was PF. Sure you are familiar with them.

john h on 7/31/02 at 09:37 (091124)

Mike: I am not a Physician but have had TTS surgery. I tested positive on the nerve condutiion test and other test for TTS. My doctor said that there was really no gold standard test for tts and that it would be a shot in the dark if I wanted him to do the surgery. He said it was strictly up to me. I was having a PF Baxter procedure and elected to go ahead and have him do the TTS at the same time. He found nothing major only a small vericose vein in the tarsal tunnel which he removed. This was not the problem however. What I did accompolish was eliminate TTS as a cause of my foot pain. TTS surgery should be done by someone who has done it a lot. The scar is about 6' long going from the inside edge of the foot to well over the ankle bone. I had no problems as a result of the surgery but I would be concerned anytime someone is 'pushing' for the surgery. My doctor was very straight forward about it.

mike l on 7/31/02 at 16:19 (091180)

thanks so much for info John,He has been doing surgery for 21 years,Dont feel like he is pushing so much as I think he is convinced it will help. I will talk to him about tests you mentioned. How long were you off your feet etc: Are your symptoms like mine? I am concerned it will make it worse with things I have read about scar tissue etc:What is PF Baxter procedure?

john h on 7/31/02 at 19:00 (091200)

Mike: I actually had three surgeries on the left foot all at the same time. I was off my feet two days. went back to work on crutches third day and back in sandals on day 10 after stitches came out. I had a TTS release. A Baxter Procedure which is somewhat similiar to a PF release but much less chance of long term damage. I had a cheilectomy on the great toe where they remove a wedge of bone from second joint of great toe and clean out the joint. The Baxter Procedure they remove a half moon wedge of fascia about 1/2' wide where the fascia connects to the heel on the inside edge of the foot. This wedge is directly over the Baxter Nerve and Dr. Baxter thinks much of PF pain comes from an inflamed fascia pressing on this nerve. As a result of removing this small wedge of fascia you are in fact releasing some of the fascia but no where near as much as in a typical PF release. Your foot is very unlikely to become unstable as your fascia is very much intact. I have do not know that I have read of any foot problems developing from this procedure. This procedure is done for the most part by Orthopedic Surgeons trained specifically in the procedure. Not many are familar with it. In my city there are two Foot and Ankle Surgeons who perform the procedure. All three surgeries took about 40 minutes. I was in recovery for 2 hours and then home. Not to much pain. The worst of the three was by far the Chelictomy because within a day or two I had to start bending it to maintain the motion I regained through surgery. Some doctors think there is a correlation between Hallux Limitus/Rigidus and PF. Hallux Limitus is what the Chelictomy was for. It is more common among the ladies probably because of their shoe wear.

mike l on 7/31/02 at 19:34 (091210)

john, I guess you could say I had the PF Release than.No change, worse or better.The doctor I have is an Orthopedic Surgeon. Now, he tells me he has been performing them for 21 years and only one that failed.He redid it and was successfull.Does that sound believable to you? I guess one gets to the point where he need s to decide if the pain is so intolerable that you will try anything.

john h on 8/01/02 at 09:02 (091257)

I find it incredable that a Doctor has been doing PF releases for 21 years (how many has he actually done?) and had only one failure. What does he consider a failure and success. I would specuulate that the Doctors on this board would think this much to optimistic.

john h on 8/01/02 at 09:15 (091258)

Mike have you asked your surgeon what type of procedure he uses? How much of the fascia does he release. I had one orthopedic surgeon who wanted to realeas the entire fascia. I could not believe my ears! Ask him if he does a Minimal Invasive Procedure or an Open Procedure.

mike l on 8/01/02 at 15:42 (091296)

hey john,thanks so much for getting back. The first Dr. {same clinic} did the PF release about 4 years ago,I'm not sure of procedure.Now I have another DR. who wants to do TTS. He said he can't remember how many he has done in 21 years.Does that help ? Any info is tremendously appretiated

john h on 8/01/02 at 17:56 (091320)

Mike: My none scientific take on TTS surgery is it is a shot in the dark. It is unliklely that any doctor can say with certainity that you have TTS and this surgery will likely cure you. I do not recall anyone on the board ever saying they were cured of anything with TTS surgery. I may have missed someone but have been on this board almost from the begining. In the wrong hands their are some risk with this surgery.

mike l on 8/01/02 at 18:51 (091332)

JOHN,KINDA WHAT I FIGURED,TTS might be a catch all when not sure. Will ask himabout tests you mentioned and helps to know others have my symptoms.Get the feeling they think I'm CRAZY when you dont give symptoms of PF.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/21/02 at 02:13 (090257)

When I first got PF last September, it was due to a repetitive motion injury. I didn't know that and for a couple of months, I kept up the activity that caused it. At first it wasn't that bad and I thought it was something that would just go away. By December I could not stand more than a minute or so, and could not walk any longer than that. My pain level was very high; but not everyone with PF has such an acute onset.

Now that I'm mostly healed and nearly over my PF, I can stand and walk for longer than you can.

Carole C

EKC on 7/21/02 at 13:14 (090287)

I have PF/TTS. On a good day, I can walk 10 min and stand in one
place ~30 sec. ON a really bad day, I have trouble making it across
a parking lot (to work) and cannot stand more than 5 sec.
I'm not sure if it is the PF or TTS that is the problem here.
I *think* it is TTS. I had a PF/TTs surgical release ~2months ago.
I'm pretty sure
the PF is going away, but I still have lots of tightness, feeling
of ache and fatiuge in my ankles; like when I walk/stand. But the
bottoms of my heels/arches seem to feel better.

DR Zuckerman on 7/21/02 at 13:39 (090293)

Hi

These are post-operative pain areas. You can have pain up to one year similiar to what you are having now. Bracing, orthosis, physical therapy may be indicated depending on your specific foot structure. Time is probaby the most important aspect for resolution. I find that heel pain will improve in an up and down cycle and then just resolve after heel surgery. Sorry that one year is a very important aspect of the healing

CarlW on 7/22/02 at 08:30 (090337)

Pete,

I too question my diagnosis of PF as my symptoms are similar to yours. I am over two years into this and can stand for 20 minutes tops and walk a comparable length of time. I had morning pain for the first month and it went away. My feet feel best first thing in the morning.

I have tried so many things that should have helped with marginal to no improvement that intuitively it seems like it could be something else.

I would like to learn more about nerve intrapment/damage to see if it could relate to my symptoms.

Suzanne D on 7/22/02 at 08:47 (090338)

Pete, I was diagnosed with PF over a year ago, with gradually increasing improvement. My pain has always been the worst the first thing in the morning when first getting out of bed and after sitting for awhile - particularly riding in the car.

When the PF 'hit', I had swelling in both feet and ankles (more on my left/worst foot), and that is something I had never experienced before in my life. That part went away after my first visit to the Pod who prescribed a week of steroids, then NSAIDS and taped.

Walking has always felt better than just standing, and it really makes a difference whether it is on carpet, or wood, or tile. Tile floors still really bother me while I can walk on wood or carpet for a long while now without much discomfort.

Good luck to you!

I haven't walked barefoot since last August when I found this site, and I still can't imagine doing that without pain.

JK1 on 7/22/02 at 10:42 (090343)

So if I'm reading you right, It is possible that the surgery
was a success, but I won't know for 1 year?

karen k loyd on 7/22/02 at 13:35 (090354)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/22/02 at 17:11 (090369)

Suzanne, it will happen. I feel so badly that you still can't walk barefoot. I am able to start doing that again, at last. Life isn't fair, but if it were you'd have pain free feet! I think most of us here consider you to be the angel of these message boards, always giving and caring with never a harsh word for anyone.

I wouldn't recommend that anybody walk barefoot unless their PF is essentially gone. I didn't walk barefoot until my pain was down to a 0 or 1 on a scale of 1-10. That wasn't for at least 8 months after getting PF, and my PF seems to be healing pretty quickly, so most people here shouldn't try to go barefoot. Finding this site right away was a big help, as were some excellent custom soft orthotics.

This morning I took a shower barefoot, for the first time since early December. My shower shoes were right there by the shower, and I looked at them, and said to myself, 'NO' and consciously did not put them on. I feel no after-effects. None. I figure this is the 'acid test' of whether or not I'm healed.

My feet sometimes still get tired and mildly achy when I over-do, but now I know how to ice them and stretch so it goes away promptly. I have been pretty gun-shy about trying to do things that are unusually rough on the feet. I wear good shoes. But really, my feet no longer affect what I can and cannot do, and they are STILL improving.

I firmly believe it is possible to leave PF completely behind, and I think it is happening.

I hope all this talk about getting better doesn't discourage anybody. It's meant to be a helping hand to give people some hope around here. The conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book and on this board DO WORK.

Well, that wasn't for you, Suzanne. I know that you know these treatments work! I guess I was on my soap box. Sorry! LOL

Carole C

DJ on 7/22/02 at 17:18 (090371)

My area of pain is rare even for this web site. I don't have pain in the heel at all. My pain is toward the front inside of the arch, in the area of the first metarsal and cuneiform. I can't stand more than a couple minutes before I'm in pain and start leaning on my good foot. I have not been diagnosed after visits to several doctors. I suspect I have a rare form of nerve entrapment.

Re: for Carole...

Suzanne D on 7/22/02 at 17:40 (090373)

Dear Carole,

You are very kind. Thank you. And you are quite smart, too, and you help many people with your clear explanations about PF and conservative treatments. When reading your posts, it is easy to see that you are a scientist! :-)

Thanks for sharing your healing with us through the months and for also telling us things about house hunting and voyages at sea. I admire you a lot!

Glad to hear that you could shower barefoot! It seems you really have 'made it' through this whole PF ordeal and come out with flying colors.

Keep up the good work!

john h on 7/22/02 at 19:27 (090378)

Carl: After 8 years of what I think is bi-laterial PF I also have gone through periods where I thought I must have something other than PF. Usually if it looks like a rabbit and hops like a rabbit it is likely a rabbit. This is not to say you should not look for something else as your cause of pain because I sure have. Several years ago I accepted that what my problem was and is PF. I do not think my pain had even peaked at 2 years. Now after 8 years I am doing very well. At least for the past several months. Good look to you on your quest.

RACHAEL T. on 7/22/02 at 23:10 (090400)

Hi to all! I cannot imagine standing or walking w/o shoes! I haven't been barefoot since before April 2001! When sitting in the summer green grass, I remove my shoes & brush my feet against the grass as I sit - it feels so good; but I know that is the extent of my feet 'touching' the ground. Today isn't a good day - pain level went up....unsure if it is the full moon or if I overdid it yesterday in the barn. Today I tried to stay inside but I was busy prepping for another horse show travel. We depart tomorrow a.m. & are gone for 6 days......I will try to swim lots when not showing since the hotel has a pool; I found that the water did help me the last time we were showing & had a hotel w/ a pool. I can walk for a good while now - but yes, I do 'pay' for it sometimes too! OOOh, to be painfree - I long for that day!

CarlW on 7/23/02 at 08:57 (090412)

John,

Its storys like yours that help give a guy hope. My symptoms being atypical (no morning pain or pain after resting) frustrate me and make me want to read more into my case. It also seems that when you try so many things that have a '70-80 percent success rate' that statistically speaking the odds of something working are so high that when they dont you start to doubt the diagnosis.

Carl

ScottW on 7/23/02 at 09:14 (090415)

I have been told I have PF by some doctors, and that I do not have it by others. All I am sure of is that my feet ache all of the time and that the doctors (Podiatrists, Orthopedic, Sports Medicine, etc.) don't know what I have. I can stand for about 3 to 5 minutes without too much discomfort. I can walk for about 10 to 25 minutes before it gets too bad as long as the surface isn't hard (i.e. concrete). I have never had the classic morning pain myself. My feet never have sharp pain, I get a deep intense ache all over the bottoms of both of my feet on up into my ankles. I have had this for 1 ½ years and it started with playing a lot of basketball on a hard floor. Not sure though why it happened though because I had been playing basketball for the past 12 years of my life on the same type of floors. I am 31 years old and my next step is to go and see a rheumatologist. I don't hold out much hope that they will have any idea what is wrong with my feet either. I am just trying to take it easy on my feet right now and hopefully over time this will go away, whatever it is.

john h on 7/23/02 at 09:25 (090419)

Carl: I have never had first step pain either.

BrianJ on 7/23/02 at 14:01 (090436)

Scott --

As you know, my condition is nearly indentical to yours. I can stand just a few minutes without too much pain, and I can walk for maybe 15 minutes on grass. I have no 'first-step' pain, but I have a lot of pain when standing and AFTER being on my feet. Like you, my pain radiates out toward my toes and up through my ankles. I first developed this problem after repeatedly playing football on a hard dirt field.

EKC on 7/24/02 at 13:08 (090496)

Go to a neurologist and get checked for Tarsal Tunnel.
Your symptoms/history are the same as mine.
I have PF/TTS.

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 10:12 (090563)

Hi

I would love to hear more about your situation and especially about your surgery.

If you can please email me at my email address.

thanks so much
Carrie

BrianJ on 7/28/02 at 20:04 (090850)

I've already been to a neurologist. NCV test was negative. Also, no Tinel's sign. Thus, no evidence of TTS.

Kathy G on 7/30/02 at 09:46 (090984)

I have never had severe pain in the morning. I frequently experience arch pain and the heel pain started after going to PT for the muscle spasm in my calf! After a little over a year, the heel pain is much less frequent and the arch pain is pretty constant but to a much lesser degree. The calf pain is back since my two-week vacation, but I haven't got a clue as to why! Standing for more than about five minutes is a very painful ordeal but I can walk much further than I could a year ago. Walking is much more comfortable than standing.

My Pod told me that many Podiatrists use PF as a catch-all diagnosis for foot pain that they just isn't classic and can't be diagnosed.

mike l on 7/30/02 at 17:46 (091025)

hello, i have fairly identical symptoms.Have had this for years now. Soft orthotics dont help,nor do hard ones. Dr. just diagnosd me with TTS rather than PF. Wants to do surgery but not sure if convinced.Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.Have tried many things with idead that it was PF. Sure you are familiar with them.

john h on 7/31/02 at 09:37 (091124)

Mike: I am not a Physician but have had TTS surgery. I tested positive on the nerve condutiion test and other test for TTS. My doctor said that there was really no gold standard test for tts and that it would be a shot in the dark if I wanted him to do the surgery. He said it was strictly up to me. I was having a PF Baxter procedure and elected to go ahead and have him do the TTS at the same time. He found nothing major only a small vericose vein in the tarsal tunnel which he removed. This was not the problem however. What I did accompolish was eliminate TTS as a cause of my foot pain. TTS surgery should be done by someone who has done it a lot. The scar is about 6' long going from the inside edge of the foot to well over the ankle bone. I had no problems as a result of the surgery but I would be concerned anytime someone is 'pushing' for the surgery. My doctor was very straight forward about it.

mike l on 7/31/02 at 16:19 (091180)

thanks so much for info John,He has been doing surgery for 21 years,Dont feel like he is pushing so much as I think he is convinced it will help. I will talk to him about tests you mentioned. How long were you off your feet etc: Are your symptoms like mine? I am concerned it will make it worse with things I have read about scar tissue etc:What is PF Baxter procedure?

john h on 7/31/02 at 19:00 (091200)

Mike: I actually had three surgeries on the left foot all at the same time. I was off my feet two days. went back to work on crutches third day and back in sandals on day 10 after stitches came out. I had a TTS release. A Baxter Procedure which is somewhat similiar to a PF release but much less chance of long term damage. I had a cheilectomy on the great toe where they remove a wedge of bone from second joint of great toe and clean out the joint. The Baxter Procedure they remove a half moon wedge of fascia about 1/2' wide where the fascia connects to the heel on the inside edge of the foot. This wedge is directly over the Baxter Nerve and Dr. Baxter thinks much of PF pain comes from an inflamed fascia pressing on this nerve. As a result of removing this small wedge of fascia you are in fact releasing some of the fascia but no where near as much as in a typical PF release. Your foot is very unlikely to become unstable as your fascia is very much intact. I have do not know that I have read of any foot problems developing from this procedure. This procedure is done for the most part by Orthopedic Surgeons trained specifically in the procedure. Not many are familar with it. In my city there are two Foot and Ankle Surgeons who perform the procedure. All three surgeries took about 40 minutes. I was in recovery for 2 hours and then home. Not to much pain. The worst of the three was by far the Chelictomy because within a day or two I had to start bending it to maintain the motion I regained through surgery. Some doctors think there is a correlation between Hallux Limitus/Rigidus and PF. Hallux Limitus is what the Chelictomy was for. It is more common among the ladies probably because of their shoe wear.

mike l on 7/31/02 at 19:34 (091210)

john, I guess you could say I had the PF Release than.No change, worse or better.The doctor I have is an Orthopedic Surgeon. Now, he tells me he has been performing them for 21 years and only one that failed.He redid it and was successfull.Does that sound believable to you? I guess one gets to the point where he need s to decide if the pain is so intolerable that you will try anything.

john h on 8/01/02 at 09:02 (091257)

I find it incredable that a Doctor has been doing PF releases for 21 years (how many has he actually done?) and had only one failure. What does he consider a failure and success. I would specuulate that the Doctors on this board would think this much to optimistic.

john h on 8/01/02 at 09:15 (091258)

Mike have you asked your surgeon what type of procedure he uses? How much of the fascia does he release. I had one orthopedic surgeon who wanted to realeas the entire fascia. I could not believe my ears! Ask him if he does a Minimal Invasive Procedure or an Open Procedure.

mike l on 8/01/02 at 15:42 (091296)

hey john,thanks so much for getting back. The first Dr. {same clinic} did the PF release about 4 years ago,I'm not sure of procedure.Now I have another DR. who wants to do TTS. He said he can't remember how many he has done in 21 years.Does that help ? Any info is tremendously appretiated

john h on 8/01/02 at 17:56 (091320)

Mike: My none scientific take on TTS surgery is it is a shot in the dark. It is unliklely that any doctor can say with certainity that you have TTS and this surgery will likely cure you. I do not recall anyone on the board ever saying they were cured of anything with TTS surgery. I may have missed someone but have been on this board almost from the begining. In the wrong hands their are some risk with this surgery.

mike l on 8/01/02 at 18:51 (091332)

JOHN,KINDA WHAT I FIGURED,TTS might be a catch all when not sure. Will ask himabout tests you mentioned and helps to know others have my symptoms.Get the feeling they think I'm CRAZY when you dont give symptoms of PF.