Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DR Z., Question about tts therapy?

Posted by Bruce M. on 7/22/02 at 11:47 (090347)

Hi doc, I have had arch pain and nerve and nerve pain in my big toe for about 3-4 weeks now. My foot doc said that it is pf and tts and he percribed therapy. Today I started and when the pt used the electric stim I could feel the nerve pain kicking up in my toe and now that I'm home my arch where the nerve goes into my foot hurts and the sensations in my toes are going crazy!

Hi, My doc thinks I have tts and pf. He gave me a cortisone shot where the nerve enters your arch for the tts and it did nothing. I also had an mri that showed nothing interfering with the tarsal tunnel or the medial plantar nerve. I still haven' t had the nerve conduction test yet, I am being chicken!I started therapy today and when the pt gave me electric stim I could feel the nerve sensations kicking up in my toes mainly the big toe, it hurt somewhat and now that I'm home my arch hurts and the big toe is sore. What types of therapy do you recommend and if e-stim hurts should I discontinue? Thanks, B.

Re: DR Z., Question about tts therapy?

DR Zuckerman on 7/22/02 at 20:49 (090387)

When you say nerve type pain. Do you mean burning, numbness and shooting type pain? I would place your foot is a boot cast to control motion. Any flexion and extension of your foot will place pressure on the TTS tunnel.

A course of oral steriod called medrol dose packet could help. Any lower back pain. Is this in one foot only? Common sense tells me to avoid any type of phyical therapy that is causing your pain. Ionophoresis is helpful,
whirlpool with ultrasound also.

Bruce M. on 7/23/02 at 07:10 (090405)

Thanks doc, The pain I am having comes along the inside of my ankle bone and it really hurts at my arch. The nerve sensations I am having a like electric shocks, I don't know about numbness or burning because my foot hurts like that anyway because of having pf. The shocks I'm feeling are mainly in my big toe for some reason, especially when the e-stim was on! I see the therapist tomorrow and ank him not to do e-stim but to do ultrasound and some ionto. Soaking in warm water is ok, and some gentle stretching good for these conditioms, correct? Whirlpool therapy really helps huh? Heat is good, everything I read says ice? These areas on my foot feel real tight so I guess I'll try heat! Thanks, Bruce

DR Zuckerman on 7/22/02 at 20:49 (090387)

When you say nerve type pain. Do you mean burning, numbness and shooting type pain? I would place your foot is a boot cast to control motion. Any flexion and extension of your foot will place pressure on the TTS tunnel.

A course of oral steriod called medrol dose packet could help. Any lower back pain. Is this in one foot only? Common sense tells me to avoid any type of phyical therapy that is causing your pain. Ionophoresis is helpful,
whirlpool with ultrasound also.

Bruce M. on 7/23/02 at 07:10 (090405)

Thanks doc, The pain I am having comes along the inside of my ankle bone and it really hurts at my arch. The nerve sensations I am having a like electric shocks, I don't know about numbness or burning because my foot hurts like that anyway because of having pf. The shocks I'm feeling are mainly in my big toe for some reason, especially when the e-stim was on! I see the therapist tomorrow and ank him not to do e-stim but to do ultrasound and some ionto. Soaking in warm water is ok, and some gentle stretching good for these conditioms, correct? Whirlpool therapy really helps huh? Heat is good, everything I read says ice? These areas on my foot feel real tight so I guess I'll try heat! Thanks, Bruce