Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Baxter Appointment

Posted by DJ on 7/22/02 at 17:55 (090376)

I'm going to Houston to see the famous Dr. Don Baxter next Tuesday and bringing the full collection of MRI's, Bonescan, Dr. reports etc. Has anyone else been to Dr. Baxter or have any advice? Also, for those who have seen Dr. Baxter, how was your visit?

Re: Dr. Baxter Appointment

john h on 7/22/02 at 19:31 (090379)

DJ: I do think Dr. Baxter operated on the Olympic Champion Carl Lewis for PF and as I remember he did very well and continued to run. Ask Dr. Baxter if he recalls training Dr. Steven Kulik? He performed the Baxter procedure and TTS surgery on my foot 3 years ago.

BrianJ on 7/22/02 at 21:13 (090390)

I saw Dr. Baxter about six months ago because of long-term heel pain. He was very cordial, as was his office staff. He is obviously a very respected surgeon, and I would not hesitate to choose him if I was having surgery. The big question is whether you (or anyone) should have foot surgery without first thoroughly trying every conservative treatment (I chose not to have surgery yet). If you might have a nerve entrapment issue, be sure to read Dr. Baxter's article in the June 1992 issue of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research.

Let us know how it goes.

DJ on 7/24/02 at 15:20 (090504)

I've actually been able to find about six of Baxter's articles on Nerve Entrapments and from what I can understand it definitely sounds like I could have a nerve entrapment. I'm very cautiously optimistic. One thing that was very interesting is that he has successfully operated on some athletes that had nerve problems NOT shown during the EMG.

john h on 7/22/02 at 19:31 (090379)

DJ: I do think Dr. Baxter operated on the Olympic Champion Carl Lewis for PF and as I remember he did very well and continued to run. Ask Dr. Baxter if he recalls training Dr. Steven Kulik? He performed the Baxter procedure and TTS surgery on my foot 3 years ago.

BrianJ on 7/22/02 at 21:13 (090390)

I saw Dr. Baxter about six months ago because of long-term heel pain. He was very cordial, as was his office staff. He is obviously a very respected surgeon, and I would not hesitate to choose him if I was having surgery. The big question is whether you (or anyone) should have foot surgery without first thoroughly trying every conservative treatment (I chose not to have surgery yet). If you might have a nerve entrapment issue, be sure to read Dr. Baxter's article in the June 1992 issue of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research.

Let us know how it goes.

DJ on 7/24/02 at 15:20 (090504)

I've actually been able to find about six of Baxter's articles on Nerve Entrapments and from what I can understand it definitely sounds like I could have a nerve entrapment. I'm very cautiously optimistic. One thing that was very interesting is that he has successfully operated on some athletes that had nerve problems NOT shown during the EMG.