Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foam

Posted by paula on 7/22/02 at 19:53 (090383)

i asked the docs this question but thought i'd try here too. after $4,000 worth of orthotics that don't work i tried placing a piece of adhesive backed foam, very soft thin foam, in my birky. i experimented till i found a spot that makes a big difference in pain level. i only have this small piece given to me long ago. where do i get more from?

Re: foam

Necee on 7/23/02 at 01:10 (090403)

I'm glad that you found something that gives you some relief Paula. As to your question about finding more adhesive backed foam.....one possibility would be to go to a craft store, something like MJ Designs, Hobby Lobby, etc, they might have something similar to what your looking for.
Hope this helps.

Happy trails....

Necee

paula on 7/24/02 at 09:53 (090490)

thanks for the idea but this is adhesive foam that a podiatrist or physical therapist uses. i found a place online but it is sold only in very large amounts. i am sure that a one of the pods here will be telling me where to order some from. i have the question posted on the doctor board.

brianh on 7/24/02 at 14:04 (090500)

What about Spenco with some two sided tape?

paula on 7/24/02 at 16:04 (090510)

you mean the insert. that didn't work for me. i want to stick the foam on parts of shoes that need it.

Necee on 7/24/02 at 22:48 (090540)

I wish that I had what you needed...I'd sure mail it to you. Maybe some kindhearted reader who knows exactly what you need has some of this and will send it to you.

Good luck

Necee

Suzanne D on 7/25/02 at 08:52 (090553)

Dear Paula,

My Pod cut two half moon shapes from a large piece of foam and peeled off the backs and stuck them in my Arizona Birks during one of my earlier visits to him. At that time I told him I was developing pain on the tops of my feet. He the arches in my sandals weren't high enough, he didn't think, and so he tried that. In about two weeks, I ended up taking them out as they hurt my arches more and more as time went on, but I have to say that the pain in the tops of my feet went away during that time and never returned.

He didn't mention the name of the foam, but he had a large supply in a cabinet. Perhaps you might call your Pod to ask about where you might get more.

Good luck!
Suzanne :-)

paula on 7/25/02 at 09:06 (090555)

this is frustrating beyond belief . the little i have of this foam has helped my pain . now i can put a little weight on. thank you both for your responses. . i will eventually find out where but i thought this baord would expidite the matter. no luck so far. you are sure lucky to have a pod like him. do you want to tell others on the baord where he is so those in your area can see him? i would if i lived near there.

Valerie S on 7/26/02 at 13:32 (090679)

Hey Paula,

I can tell how frustrated you are, trying to find this foam so you can fix your shoes up yourself. I think I know exactly the foam you are talking about too. I am wondering - do you have a pod? If not, maybe you could try calling one up. If you really want this stuff, I'll bet they will give you some if you go in as a patient. Just an idea, and could really save you from going through so much aggravation.

Good luck.

Val.

paula on 7/26/02 at 17:15 (090706)

thank you so much for your interest in my pain and frustration. it helps to know people care. i have never had a pod and i've seen a lot of them over last two years, who would help a person in a low cost way like that. i am sure the pods here who help us all the time for free will tell me where to order it from. i would be throwing more money away to just pick a pod, like a shot in the dark, and think he will tell me where to get this stuff from. it is a safer bet here, with these pods, who really care. sometimes you have to ask your question more than once on the doctor board because they are very busy. it is easy to get frustrated but we must remember that there are hundreds of us in pain here and only a few pods to help us. these are my thoughts today, at any rate. in between thinking ouch, ouch, ouch.

Re: foam -- Will this work? -- I found these online.

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 08:36 (090731)

Hi Paula.

In case you can't tell, your question is killing me! I think I know exactly the pads you are talking about, so I tried doing a search for adhesive arch supports, and I found this site. They have 3 different kinds here, all of which might work for what you are thinking of doing. I used to work in a shoe repair (back before PF of course, when I could stand in one place 14 hours a day, no problem...), and I was thinking... you COULD also try getting a flat foam insole from a shoe repair shop, trimming it to your own specs and then gluing it in place with rubber cement. Just apply a thin coat of glue to the shoe and to the pad, allow it to dry, and then carefully place the pad where you want it. If you put it on when the glue is wet, it is going to slide around on you. Just an idea, if you don't want to wait for the mail order.

Anyway, these pads range in price from 10 pads/$4.95 up to $10.95/pair. There is a middle range one (at the top) for $5.25/pair. It looks like any of these could be trimmed. The felt ones look a lot like the ones my pod gave me, except they were tapered at the edges.

I tried the same experiment you are trying now, after he did just that by applying the pads to my custom orthotics. I really hope you find some relief soon.

http://www.footfxr.com/page16.html

I found a couple other sites, where you had to buy them in lots of 100.

paula on 7/27/02 at 09:19 (090735)

that was so nice of you. thank you. that is a very good site. also dr ed told me to check out alimed or henry schein. i will contact all these sites on monday and will probably get what i need. you are so kind. and so is dr ed. two great people i have met here.!!

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:04 (090884)

Paula: Some years ago I had a Physician who was having a problem curing one of my maladies. He finally did. For over a year until a retired he never charged me for an office visit. He is well into his 80's now and still plays golf every day, visits his children and grandchildren who live in London. Who says there are not some doctors who care?

paula on 7/29/02 at 09:15 (090892)

there are some doctors who care. right here on this board for example. and my gp and my endocrinologist. but i think they are the exceptions. this, at any rate, has been my experience.

Necee on 7/23/02 at 01:10 (090403)

I'm glad that you found something that gives you some relief Paula. As to your question about finding more adhesive backed foam.....one possibility would be to go to a craft store, something like MJ Designs, Hobby Lobby, etc, they might have something similar to what your looking for.
Hope this helps.

Happy trails....

Necee

paula on 7/24/02 at 09:53 (090490)

thanks for the idea but this is adhesive foam that a podiatrist or physical therapist uses. i found a place online but it is sold only in very large amounts. i am sure that a one of the pods here will be telling me where to order some from. i have the question posted on the doctor board.

brianh on 7/24/02 at 14:04 (090500)

What about Spenco with some two sided tape?

paula on 7/24/02 at 16:04 (090510)

you mean the insert. that didn't work for me. i want to stick the foam on parts of shoes that need it.

Necee on 7/24/02 at 22:48 (090540)

I wish that I had what you needed...I'd sure mail it to you. Maybe some kindhearted reader who knows exactly what you need has some of this and will send it to you.

Good luck

Necee

Suzanne D on 7/25/02 at 08:52 (090553)

Dear Paula,

My Pod cut two half moon shapes from a large piece of foam and peeled off the backs and stuck them in my Arizona Birks during one of my earlier visits to him. At that time I told him I was developing pain on the tops of my feet. He the arches in my sandals weren't high enough, he didn't think, and so he tried that. In about two weeks, I ended up taking them out as they hurt my arches more and more as time went on, but I have to say that the pain in the tops of my feet went away during that time and never returned.

He didn't mention the name of the foam, but he had a large supply in a cabinet. Perhaps you might call your Pod to ask about where you might get more.

Good luck!
Suzanne :-)

paula on 7/25/02 at 09:06 (090555)

this is frustrating beyond belief . the little i have of this foam has helped my pain . now i can put a little weight on. thank you both for your responses. . i will eventually find out where but i thought this baord would expidite the matter. no luck so far. you are sure lucky to have a pod like him. do you want to tell others on the baord where he is so those in your area can see him? i would if i lived near there.

Valerie S on 7/26/02 at 13:32 (090679)

Hey Paula,

I can tell how frustrated you are, trying to find this foam so you can fix your shoes up yourself. I think I know exactly the foam you are talking about too. I am wondering - do you have a pod? If not, maybe you could try calling one up. If you really want this stuff, I'll bet they will give you some if you go in as a patient. Just an idea, and could really save you from going through so much aggravation.

Good luck.

Val.

paula on 7/26/02 at 17:15 (090706)

thank you so much for your interest in my pain and frustration. it helps to know people care. i have never had a pod and i've seen a lot of them over last two years, who would help a person in a low cost way like that. i am sure the pods here who help us all the time for free will tell me where to order it from. i would be throwing more money away to just pick a pod, like a shot in the dark, and think he will tell me where to get this stuff from. it is a safer bet here, with these pods, who really care. sometimes you have to ask your question more than once on the doctor board because they are very busy. it is easy to get frustrated but we must remember that there are hundreds of us in pain here and only a few pods to help us. these are my thoughts today, at any rate. in between thinking ouch, ouch, ouch.

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 08:36 (090731)

Hi Paula.

In case you can't tell, your question is killing me! I think I know exactly the pads you are talking about, so I tried doing a search for adhesive arch supports, and I found this site. They have 3 different kinds here, all of which might work for what you are thinking of doing. I used to work in a shoe repair (back before PF of course, when I could stand in one place 14 hours a day, no problem...), and I was thinking... you COULD also try getting a flat foam insole from a shoe repair shop, trimming it to your own specs and then gluing it in place with rubber cement. Just apply a thin coat of glue to the shoe and to the pad, allow it to dry, and then carefully place the pad where you want it. If you put it on when the glue is wet, it is going to slide around on you. Just an idea, if you don't want to wait for the mail order.

Anyway, these pads range in price from 10 pads/$4.95 up to $10.95/pair. There is a middle range one (at the top) for $5.25/pair. It looks like any of these could be trimmed. The felt ones look a lot like the ones my pod gave me, except they were tapered at the edges.

I tried the same experiment you are trying now, after he did just that by applying the pads to my custom orthotics. I really hope you find some relief soon.

http://www.footfxr.com/page16.html

I found a couple other sites, where you had to buy them in lots of 100.

paula on 7/27/02 at 09:19 (090735)

that was so nice of you. thank you. that is a very good site. also dr ed told me to check out alimed or henry schein. i will contact all these sites on monday and will probably get what i need. you are so kind. and so is dr ed. two great people i have met here.!!

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:04 (090884)

Paula: Some years ago I had a Physician who was having a problem curing one of my maladies. He finally did. For over a year until a retired he never charged me for an office visit. He is well into his 80's now and still plays golf every day, visits his children and grandchildren who live in London. Who says there are not some doctors who care?

paula on 7/29/02 at 09:15 (090892)

there are some doctors who care. right here on this board for example. and my gp and my endocrinologist. but i think they are the exceptions. this, at any rate, has been my experience.