Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to pf

Posted by margie p on 7/23/02 at 19:05 (090454)

Or at least new relatively speaking. This thing flared up great guns Memorial Day weekend and hasn't slowed down since. I am using shoe inserts recommended by the Podiatrist, New Balance shoes, had a cortisone injection 6 wks into this, never go barefoot or bear weight on the affected heal, stretching and icing regularly, stopped all running and only do necessary walking ( I do have work) and various courses of NSAIDS. I have had more severe medical problems believe me but this thing is REALLY depressing me. I can't do my normal things!!!! Anyone out there want to venture a guess as to how long this will take to feel better and how much I should / should not be on my feet

Re: New to pf

Suzanne D on 7/23/02 at 19:19 (090456)

Hi, Margie, and welcome! You will learn much information here and meet some very caring and helpful people as well.

Someone usually tells newcomers this, so I will tell you, too. Make sure and read the Heel Pain Book if you haven't already. Just click on the blue words, and it will come up. No two people are exactly alike, so I couldn't venture a guess as to how long it will take you to improve or how much you should or should not be on your feet. It sounds as if you are already doing many things to help yourself, and I wish you the best in your healing.

Check out the Treatments/Symptoms/Products board on this site for a lot of information as well as the Ask the Foot Doctors board. Many specifics are discussed there.

We DO understand the depression factor! That's why many of us post here on the Social/Support board. It is nice to have others who understand to share with. Sometimes we write about feet, and sometimes we write about the weather, our birthdays, our children, houses, etc. It's a nice 'family' to be a part of!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/02 at 20:26 (090463)

hi, Margie! Suzanne is so right that no two people are alike, so it's hard to know the answer to your questions. However, many of us seem to measure our recovery time in months rather than weeks. Some, like John H, have had PF for years and years, but most of the people who have had it for years didn't do anything about it right away like you have.

The sooner PF is treated, the sooner it goes away, say the doctors. Let me tell you my story. I started reading on this message board about a month after I got PF, and I got diagnosed and started treating my PF about two months after getting it. At that point I was in substantial pain, very depressed, and could not even do the dishes or laundry or much of anything. I could not handle the grocery store.

After about three months of self-treatment and wearing my custom orthotics (five months after getting PF), my pain level was decreased enough that I could lead a normal life with just a few exceptions. These exceptions included things like wearing shower shoes in the shower, orthotics or Birkenstocks otherwise, and doing my icing, stretching and so on. For example I could go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store without harming my feet by then, and have fun and enjoy life; if I iced and stretched, and wore my Birkenstocks that night, I was fine the next day.

Time has passed since then. By now, it has been ten months since I got PF. I feel essentially recovered by now. I don't stretch regularly any more, and I can even go barefoot easily, but I still try not to strain my feet if I can avoid it. I am not especially concerned about moving next month, and I don't think I'll suffer a setback although I will not try to lift a box of books barefoot because it might strain my feet. I will wear shoes and use a dollie to do that sort of thing, and I won't feel any pain the next day.

I do have an opinion about how much someone should or should not be on their feet if they can't do their normal things. I personally felt that staying off my feet almost all the time helped me a lot during the most severe period of PF for me, when my pain was about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. I would recommend a LOT of rest at that stage, until your feet heal enough that you can do more. When your pain is down to a level 1 or 2, there will be plenty of time to slowly rebuild your muscles and do more. I did lose a lot of muscle strength from all that resting, but it's amazing how fast it can be rebuilt even at age 53. Of course, if I misunderstood and your pain level is already low, maybe you don't need much rest.

Carole C

margie p on 7/24/02 at 19:09 (090528)

Thanks Carole. I really needed to hear from people on the other side of this

Steve P on 7/24/02 at 19:21 (090529)

Hi Margie --

Looks as though you have a reasonable program going. However, I would not do any weightbearing stretching.

Stretching has been widely discussed on this website for the past few years. There are many opinions on the subject. Here's mine: I don't believe in stretching at all, but if you must do it, be sure it's NON-weightbearing.

Best.........Steve

Re: pain and depression

Carole C in NOLA on 7/24/02 at 20:29 (090532)

I'm glad if I could help. I forgot to mention that last December I was terribly depressed. Constant pain combined with being unable to live your normal life just does that to most of us.

I was really concerned about the level of my depression because I spent a lot of time crying, and so I thought about seeking out counseling, although I didn't do it. On this message board I found out that I wasn't the only one who was crying a lot. I felt less like a psych case and more like someone in a nearly unbearable situation, to which the only sane response was tears, after that.

If your depression gets beyond a certain point, it may be worth considering counseling. Whether or not you do that, you have a refuge here. The people here at heelspurs.com, like Suzanne, John H, WendyN, the Nancy's, and so many others, really do understand and care. Even though we are not all alike, and our PF isn't exactly identical, still we 'know where you are coming from', from our own experiences.

Carole C

J. King on 7/25/02 at 11:56 (090567)

If you are suffering from chronic pain and depression I think it is definitely worthwhile to see a psychiatrist. If you have to one day file for SSDI this could help you a lot. Also, antidepressents can have a pain reduction effect and shrink knows which meds to prescribe. I lost my job because of chronic pain and depression. I was seeing a shrink at the time and this made getting SSDI and other payments much easier. Why suffer if you don't have to? I hope it does not get to that point for you or anybody else, but these things do happen and it is good to be ready.

margie p on 7/25/02 at 12:16 (090573)

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am so glad to have found this site and will be posting often

dave r on 7/25/02 at 12:42 (090579)

Its been five years for me. i lost the job that i loved and alot of my friends. My biggest mistake was to try to work through the pain. If i knew then what i know now i would of quit my job right away. You are in the early stages of this. You are very lucky to have found this board with so many suggestions to help you. You need to jump on treating this. You must be proactive and you may need to try many many things before you find something that works for you. Good luck!

john h on 7/25/02 at 17:01 (090595)

Hey folks even tough guys can get anxiety and depression with the pain and the forced change of life style caused by PF. Just continue to hang tough and do what ever works to help you get through it be it meds,talk thearpy or what ever. Sometimes you cannot just do it alone. This board is 'talk therapy' as a matter of fact'.

Suzanne D on 7/23/02 at 19:19 (090456)

Hi, Margie, and welcome! You will learn much information here and meet some very caring and helpful people as well.

Someone usually tells newcomers this, so I will tell you, too. Make sure and read the Heel Pain Book if you haven't already. Just click on the blue words, and it will come up. No two people are exactly alike, so I couldn't venture a guess as to how long it will take you to improve or how much you should or should not be on your feet. It sounds as if you are already doing many things to help yourself, and I wish you the best in your healing.

Check out the Treatments/Symptoms/Products board on this site for a lot of information as well as the Ask the Foot Doctors board. Many specifics are discussed there.

We DO understand the depression factor! That's why many of us post here on the Social/Support board. It is nice to have others who understand to share with. Sometimes we write about feet, and sometimes we write about the weather, our birthdays, our children, houses, etc. It's a nice 'family' to be a part of!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/23/02 at 20:26 (090463)

hi, Margie! Suzanne is so right that no two people are alike, so it's hard to know the answer to your questions. However, many of us seem to measure our recovery time in months rather than weeks. Some, like John H, have had PF for years and years, but most of the people who have had it for years didn't do anything about it right away like you have.

The sooner PF is treated, the sooner it goes away, say the doctors. Let me tell you my story. I started reading on this message board about a month after I got PF, and I got diagnosed and started treating my PF about two months after getting it. At that point I was in substantial pain, very depressed, and could not even do the dishes or laundry or much of anything. I could not handle the grocery store.

After about three months of self-treatment and wearing my custom orthotics (five months after getting PF), my pain level was decreased enough that I could lead a normal life with just a few exceptions. These exceptions included things like wearing shower shoes in the shower, orthotics or Birkenstocks otherwise, and doing my icing, stretching and so on. For example I could go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store without harming my feet by then, and have fun and enjoy life; if I iced and stretched, and wore my Birkenstocks that night, I was fine the next day.

Time has passed since then. By now, it has been ten months since I got PF. I feel essentially recovered by now. I don't stretch regularly any more, and I can even go barefoot easily, but I still try not to strain my feet if I can avoid it. I am not especially concerned about moving next month, and I don't think I'll suffer a setback although I will not try to lift a box of books barefoot because it might strain my feet. I will wear shoes and use a dollie to do that sort of thing, and I won't feel any pain the next day.

I do have an opinion about how much someone should or should not be on their feet if they can't do their normal things. I personally felt that staying off my feet almost all the time helped me a lot during the most severe period of PF for me, when my pain was about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. I would recommend a LOT of rest at that stage, until your feet heal enough that you can do more. When your pain is down to a level 1 or 2, there will be plenty of time to slowly rebuild your muscles and do more. I did lose a lot of muscle strength from all that resting, but it's amazing how fast it can be rebuilt even at age 53. Of course, if I misunderstood and your pain level is already low, maybe you don't need much rest.

Carole C

margie p on 7/24/02 at 19:09 (090528)

Thanks Carole. I really needed to hear from people on the other side of this

Steve P on 7/24/02 at 19:21 (090529)

Hi Margie --

Looks as though you have a reasonable program going. However, I would not do any weightbearing stretching.

Stretching has been widely discussed on this website for the past few years. There are many opinions on the subject. Here's mine: I don't believe in stretching at all, but if you must do it, be sure it's NON-weightbearing.

Best.........Steve

Carole C in NOLA on 7/24/02 at 20:29 (090532)

I'm glad if I could help. I forgot to mention that last December I was terribly depressed. Constant pain combined with being unable to live your normal life just does that to most of us.

I was really concerned about the level of my depression because I spent a lot of time crying, and so I thought about seeking out counseling, although I didn't do it. On this message board I found out that I wasn't the only one who was crying a lot. I felt less like a psych case and more like someone in a nearly unbearable situation, to which the only sane response was tears, after that.

If your depression gets beyond a certain point, it may be worth considering counseling. Whether or not you do that, you have a refuge here. The people here at heelspurs.com, like Suzanne, John H, WendyN, the Nancy's, and so many others, really do understand and care. Even though we are not all alike, and our PF isn't exactly identical, still we 'know where you are coming from', from our own experiences.

Carole C

J. King on 7/25/02 at 11:56 (090567)

If you are suffering from chronic pain and depression I think it is definitely worthwhile to see a psychiatrist. If you have to one day file for SSDI this could help you a lot. Also, antidepressents can have a pain reduction effect and shrink knows which meds to prescribe. I lost my job because of chronic pain and depression. I was seeing a shrink at the time and this made getting SSDI and other payments much easier. Why suffer if you don't have to? I hope it does not get to that point for you or anybody else, but these things do happen and it is good to be ready.

margie p on 7/25/02 at 12:16 (090573)

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am so glad to have found this site and will be posting often

dave r on 7/25/02 at 12:42 (090579)

Its been five years for me. i lost the job that i loved and alot of my friends. My biggest mistake was to try to work through the pain. If i knew then what i know now i would of quit my job right away. You are in the early stages of this. You are very lucky to have found this board with so many suggestions to help you. You need to jump on treating this. You must be proactive and you may need to try many many things before you find something that works for you. Good luck!

john h on 7/25/02 at 17:01 (090595)

Hey folks even tough guys can get anxiety and depression with the pain and the forced change of life style caused by PF. Just continue to hang tough and do what ever works to help you get through it be it meds,talk thearpy or what ever. Sometimes you cannot just do it alone. This board is 'talk therapy' as a matter of fact'.