Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!!

Posted by Roseanna H on 7/23/02 at 21:06 (090464)

I have tried everything. Stretching exercises,icing.wrapping, insoles.cortizone injections and none of these gives me any relief. I had surgery on the opposite foot about 15 years ago and haven't had any trouble since. I have already spent a lot of money and can't get results. Why doesn't anyone do surgeries and take the spur off anymore? Do you have any suggestions that I have not already tried?

Re: TRIED EVERYTHING!!!!!

fellow sufferer on 7/23/02 at 21:38 (090466)

ESWT!!

R C on 7/24/02 at 10:48 (090494)

I'm not a doctor, but....

My understanding is that the 'spur' is generally not the source of discomfort, so removing it is an unnecessary invasion.

I tried 'everything' for my PF over two years, and what finally cured it was a combination of 4 weeks hard cast + crutches, then 4 weeks physical therapy + crutches, then crutches as needed and several more weeks of taping foot daily. This is much easier to do if you only have one bad foot at a time. My guiding principle was if it hurts to walk, then don't walk without crutches or taping (whichever helps). In my case I probably had a partial tear of the plantar fascia, and so it was necessary to let it heal completely before trying to walk normally again.

Re: TRIED EVERYTHING...Call Dr Kiper?

Ron P. on 7/24/02 at 15:43 (090506)

Hi Roseanna H
Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his liquid silicone orthotics helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck!

wendyn on 7/24/02 at 19:07 (090527)

I'd feel better about this whole Dr Kiper thing if there was ANYONE else from the board who had found success with them.

While Ron seems to be a big fan, he's seems to be the only fan.

I don't know anything about these orthotics - other than the fact that they seem very expensive.

Pauline on 7/24/02 at 22:47 (090539)

Wendyn,
Personally, I view these posts along with others that may not be as obvious as marketing. The comment made in one of Dr. Joe's posts that he has never marketed his own practice on this site speaks to the same issue.

Maybe this poster is marketing the product, or perhaps he's just one happy orthotic wearer providing the address of whom to contact for treatment.

Re: Calling Scott -- we need a referee

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/25/02 at 20:10 (090620)

Wendyn:
With all due respects to Ron, I think we really need to know if he is a satisfied patient or a marketer for Dr. Kiper. We have run into this situation before and it is certainly not fair to posters to the 'Ask the Doctor's' Board in particular to be answered with 'call Dr. Kiper' after each inquiry. Dr. Kiper's SDO orthotics have been around for a long time and may be a great product but certainly have not been noted as a cure all for heel pain.
Ed

scott r on 7/25/02 at 20:21 (090622)

After one of our regular posters called Dr Kiper as a result of Ron's posts, Dr Kiper emailed me wanting to know what a heelspurs.com message board was. Ron P's first post was a year ago asking if anyone had tried the SDOs. He seems legit and a satisfied customer even if he has gone overboard. This is merely an explanation and reporting of info. I'm staying out of this one cause I don't know what else to do.

wendyn on 7/25/02 at 21:22 (090629)

I agree, it's hard to know what's 'marketing' and what is 'enthusiasm'. I would be way more impressed if any of our regulars tried this and actually had good results. Personally, I couldn't get over how expensive they are. Maybe that's why more people seem reluctant to give them a try.

I don't know if Ron is doing much harm though, and the product doesn't seem to generate a whole of of interest. Ron may want to keep in mind that there are LOTS of things to try (including his orthotics), and if one product was really a cure all for everyone - none of us would be here.

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/26/02 at 15:10 (090696)

Scott, as you know I contacted you regarding the suspicious Ron P. postings. I would simply write to Ron P. and thank him for his input and request that he simply refrain from constantly posting about Dr. Kiper's products. There is already a link to Dr. Kiper's product on this sites home page, so I think that should generate enough business or inquiries without constantly hearing about Ron P's success. His posting is always the same, and slightly suspicious, with all due respect to Dr. Kiper.

paula on 7/26/02 at 17:32 (090707)

i didn't like that repetitive soundbite way of communicating . so different from the time, thoughfulness and energy that the pods put in here for us. i think the pods here were very patient before they voiced their conerns about this. there was a time here that some folks seemed to jump the gun and think someone was pushing a product before there was any indication ...... but i certainly don't think that is the case here. i think the pods have a very legitimate concern here. how to deal with it. i don't know..... if he is legit or not.... i don't know. but it was starting to be as annoying as a di tech commercial to me. (those of you who watch cnn a lot might know the reference).

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 23:22 (090721)

When you think about it nor has ESWT been a cure all for heel pain. Orthotics have been Rx'ed by doctors far longer than ESWT for heel pain.

Scott does have them listed on his product page just as he also has ESWT location sites.

scott r on 7/27/02 at 00:01 (090722)

OK, I think ron has posted enough about the SDOs. If he had posted any other info, it wouldn't be an easy decision. Legit or not, too much 'advertising' in the board for a product is too much.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 08:58 (090732)

There is one major difference. There has never been any major studies on the effectiveness of any type of orthosis in a controlled FDA study. Yes orthosis work but again never been any double blind controlled studies. ESWT has probaby been the most studied, controlled treatment for plantar fasciitis in the world.

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:18 (090949)

When you really like a product, you want to share it with everyone! I have been in constant pain, and even though it sounds like advertising, if it helps one person, im for him posting it. It's not that big of a deal, all you have to do is push your back button.

fellow sufferer on 7/23/02 at 21:38 (090466)

ESWT!!

R C on 7/24/02 at 10:48 (090494)

I'm not a doctor, but....

My understanding is that the 'spur' is generally not the source of discomfort, so removing it is an unnecessary invasion.

I tried 'everything' for my PF over two years, and what finally cured it was a combination of 4 weeks hard cast + crutches, then 4 weeks physical therapy + crutches, then crutches as needed and several more weeks of taping foot daily. This is much easier to do if you only have one bad foot at a time. My guiding principle was if it hurts to walk, then don't walk without crutches or taping (whichever helps). In my case I probably had a partial tear of the plantar fascia, and so it was necessary to let it heal completely before trying to walk normally again.

Ron P. on 7/24/02 at 15:43 (090506)

Hi Roseanna H
Why don't you call Dr Kiper... his liquid silicone orthotics helped me. He will give you a free consultation for 10min or so. No surgery or long distances but the Silicone takes time ...2 weeks before you definitely feel it & 6 mo.s for full effect. Its worth a shot ... his # is 800 DRKIPER. Good Luck!

wendyn on 7/24/02 at 19:07 (090527)

I'd feel better about this whole Dr Kiper thing if there was ANYONE else from the board who had found success with them.

While Ron seems to be a big fan, he's seems to be the only fan.

I don't know anything about these orthotics - other than the fact that they seem very expensive.

Pauline on 7/24/02 at 22:47 (090539)

Wendyn,
Personally, I view these posts along with others that may not be as obvious as marketing. The comment made in one of Dr. Joe's posts that he has never marketed his own practice on this site speaks to the same issue.

Maybe this poster is marketing the product, or perhaps he's just one happy orthotic wearer providing the address of whom to contact for treatment.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/25/02 at 20:10 (090620)

Wendyn:
With all due respects to Ron, I think we really need to know if he is a satisfied patient or a marketer for Dr. Kiper. We have run into this situation before and it is certainly not fair to posters to the 'Ask the Doctor's' Board in particular to be answered with 'call Dr. Kiper' after each inquiry. Dr. Kiper's SDO orthotics have been around for a long time and may be a great product but certainly have not been noted as a cure all for heel pain.
Ed

scott r on 7/25/02 at 20:21 (090622)

After one of our regular posters called Dr Kiper as a result of Ron's posts, Dr Kiper emailed me wanting to know what a heelspurs.com message board was. Ron P's first post was a year ago asking if anyone had tried the SDOs. He seems legit and a satisfied customer even if he has gone overboard. This is merely an explanation and reporting of info. I'm staying out of this one cause I don't know what else to do.

wendyn on 7/25/02 at 21:22 (090629)

I agree, it's hard to know what's 'marketing' and what is 'enthusiasm'. I would be way more impressed if any of our regulars tried this and actually had good results. Personally, I couldn't get over how expensive they are. Maybe that's why more people seem reluctant to give them a try.

I don't know if Ron is doing much harm though, and the product doesn't seem to generate a whole of of interest. Ron may want to keep in mind that there are LOTS of things to try (including his orthotics), and if one product was really a cure all for everyone - none of us would be here.

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/26/02 at 15:10 (090696)

Scott, as you know I contacted you regarding the suspicious Ron P. postings. I would simply write to Ron P. and thank him for his input and request that he simply refrain from constantly posting about Dr. Kiper's products. There is already a link to Dr. Kiper's product on this sites home page, so I think that should generate enough business or inquiries without constantly hearing about Ron P's success. His posting is always the same, and slightly suspicious, with all due respect to Dr. Kiper.

paula on 7/26/02 at 17:32 (090707)

i didn't like that repetitive soundbite way of communicating . so different from the time, thoughfulness and energy that the pods put in here for us. i think the pods here were very patient before they voiced their conerns about this. there was a time here that some folks seemed to jump the gun and think someone was pushing a product before there was any indication ...... but i certainly don't think that is the case here. i think the pods have a very legitimate concern here. how to deal with it. i don't know..... if he is legit or not.... i don't know. but it was starting to be as annoying as a di tech commercial to me. (those of you who watch cnn a lot might know the reference).

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 23:22 (090721)

When you think about it nor has ESWT been a cure all for heel pain. Orthotics have been Rx'ed by doctors far longer than ESWT for heel pain.

Scott does have them listed on his product page just as he also has ESWT location sites.

scott r on 7/27/02 at 00:01 (090722)

OK, I think ron has posted enough about the SDOs. If he had posted any other info, it wouldn't be an easy decision. Legit or not, too much 'advertising' in the board for a product is too much.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 08:58 (090732)

There is one major difference. There has never been any major studies on the effectiveness of any type of orthosis in a controlled FDA study. Yes orthosis work but again never been any double blind controlled studies. ESWT has probaby been the most studied, controlled treatment for plantar fasciitis in the world.

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:18 (090949)

When you really like a product, you want to share it with everyone! I have been in constant pain, and even though it sounds like advertising, if it helps one person, im for him posting it. It's not that big of a deal, all you have to do is push your back button.