Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breaking the Arch

Posted by Julia Z. on 7/23/02 at 23:07 (090473)

I am an aspiring ballet dancer who has been struggling to dance 'en pointe' beautifully because my arches are not high enough, and my ankles are not flexible enough. Although my arches have greatly improved since the time I first started taking pointe, I am becoming increasingly frusterated because no matter what I do, my arches never seem to 'pop out.' I have already tried doing foot exercises, and have even purchased the 'pro-arch,' which is a machine designed to increase a dancer's arch. I feel as though my bad feet are holding my back from turning my love of dance into my profession. The only thing that seems as if it can help change the appearance of my feet is to break my arches (or to break my feet). Please tell me if you would recommend doing this, how much it would cost, what possible damaging effects surgery could have on my feet, and if you could recommend me a doctor who specializes in doing this type of procedure.

Thank you so much!

Re: Breaking the Arch

Suzanne D on 7/24/02 at 08:08 (090483)

Oh, my dear, I do not think you will find anyone who will encourage you to 'break' anything in your feet! Most of us are in pain with foot problems, and we would not want anyone to consciously do anything to hurt an otherwise healthy foot.

I am not a doctor, and I do not claim to know a lot about dancing although my 16 year old takes ballet and tap and this fall will begin pointe ballet. She loves it, and I am pleased that she does and happy to watch her in recital and youth theater productions. However, I would never want to hear of her having anything broken to make her a better dancer. Since you have improved through the practices and exercises, I hope you will continue on that route to keep getting better. Try to remember that nothing great happens quickly!

I do wish you the best and don't mean to criticize. I guess my first grade teacher mentality took over when I read your post and I wanted to try to 'help' you.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

Mar on 7/24/02 at 21:24 (090537)

I agree 100% -- purposely break your feet??? No way!! I had routine elective bunion surgery and have not been able to walk for 16 months without extreme pain in the bunion area as well as both heels. I would never recommend any surgery unless it were absolutely necessary. I wish I were able to take a walk, let alone dance. Good luck! Mar

Suzanne D on 7/24/02 at 08:08 (090483)

Oh, my dear, I do not think you will find anyone who will encourage you to 'break' anything in your feet! Most of us are in pain with foot problems, and we would not want anyone to consciously do anything to hurt an otherwise healthy foot.

I am not a doctor, and I do not claim to know a lot about dancing although my 16 year old takes ballet and tap and this fall will begin pointe ballet. She loves it, and I am pleased that she does and happy to watch her in recital and youth theater productions. However, I would never want to hear of her having anything broken to make her a better dancer. Since you have improved through the practices and exercises, I hope you will continue on that route to keep getting better. Try to remember that nothing great happens quickly!

I do wish you the best and don't mean to criticize. I guess my first grade teacher mentality took over when I read your post and I wanted to try to 'help' you.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

Mar on 7/24/02 at 21:24 (090537)

I agree 100% -- purposely break your feet??? No way!! I had routine elective bunion surgery and have not been able to walk for 16 months without extreme pain in the bunion area as well as both heels. I would never recommend any surgery unless it were absolutely necessary. I wish I were able to take a walk, let alone dance. Good luck! Mar