Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back on the road of recovery

Posted by KathyB on 7/24/02 at 07:04 (090481)

My drug therapy is working and I am 90% pain free 90% of the time. I can stand for a time and can even walk around the mall without pain. I was just fitted at New Balance for new shoes. I worked out this a personal trainer last night, and he set me up with a gentle workout that should allow me to regain some of the shape. I also think with a little diet changes I should lose the 20 pounds that I have packed on in the last six months. I maintained my weight until I started on the Neurontin. I am now volunteering my time with some organizations like the Virginia Opera and symphony. I can now do things that I have not been able to do in 10 years. I know that I have a lot of road to travel to the end of recovery, but the road is a hard packed dirt road lined with trees on a warm, sunny day with a slight breeze. I am out of my tunnel and it feels good. I don't know if I will have to travel through any more tunnels, but I will be better prepared for them if I do. Recovery is hard, good luck to all that are traveling the road and may everyone get to the spot that I am at least for a little while. It is a nice break from the pain.

Re: Back on the road of recovery

Jane T on 7/25/02 at 17:57 (090602)

Did you have plantar fasciitiis initially?
I have PF and have just now developed Tarsal Tunnel.
They have recommended neurontin, but I am researching therapies for this.
Thanks Jane

EKC on 7/26/02 at 08:32 (090648)

How long can you be on these drugs? 1 year, 5 year, lifetime?

Jane T on 7/26/02 at 10:25 (090661)

Most likelyindefinitely if you don't have side effect problems. They are pretty benign drugs--neurontin and elavil and nortriptyline. I have known people in my former psychiatry practice on elavil or nortriptyline for years without problems (usually for pain, sometimes for depression).
Jane

KathyB on 7/29/02 at 07:21 (090882)

I am willing to stay on them for a long while. My legs are so out of shape and weak that another surgery this soon would be very bad. I have to get my body back in shape and get some of the weight that I have gained off before I go for another surgery. It all depends on how long I can walk and how comfortable I am.

Jane T on 7/29/02 at 14:37 (090911)

I can't remember what you are taking, but nortripyline and or elavil and cause weight gain, and I am not sure about neurontin.
However, if they work for pain, that is something to consider. I would not worry about being on them for long term--at least from my research and understanding.

KathyB on 7/30/02 at 08:04 (090968)

Neurontin is the one that did it for me. Now I work out at the gym two times a week to get my muscle tone back. It is going to take a long time to get my weight down. First I have to turn the fat into muscle and then I have to reduce the the muscle. I guess I really should not worry about the weight number, and just worry about getting back into shape, the rest will come.

Jane T on 7/30/02 at 10:30 (090988)

How much neurontin worked? I just started last night, 100. How quickly did you go up on it? What do you do at the gym that does not hurt your foot?
Jane

Tammie on 7/30/02 at 11:39 (090995)

I jsut noticed that you are on neurontin and liked to add.
Take your time with going up in higher dose, I to am on it but started fairly low to the point I am working on now. I am on 600mg. per 3x day. Although I still have not really had alot of change with it yet I might be hard to tell with all other meds they have me on .

I hope that you are with a pain management doc as they are the best as far as I have learned. I was being quite stubborn about going there , but I will say and I bet (my friend Brian) will laugh as he has tried to get me there much sooner. That they have helped me more with my pain then any other doc I have seen! Not only that he jumped right in on testing , he was the only dod I seen who got me a mri and did a emg test. He felt I had a dx of RSD but he went on to test more and be assured there was not anything we were missing. I just had the first nerve block , I was terrified, Laurie and Janet have the best knowledge on this RSD but let me tell u the fear I had and the knowledge my dear friends here have offered is what gave me the courage to keep going! So my wish for you is to take it easy and listen to your pain and listen to what your dr. is telling you , If i missed your whole posts I am verry sorry I just picked it up on this . If your pain is out of control do not fear pain management docs they are so verry good at what they do and they do help with out you feeling a druggie or stopping looking for a cause. Gool luck and I hope that you feel lessoned pain soon!

Dennis B. on 7/30/02 at 13:45 (091005)

My understanding of Neurontin is that it needs to be 'built up' in the body. I was told to start with one pill for 3 days, then add another for 3 days, then the 3rd pill for another 3 days, etc. and when you are at the doctor prescribed dosage, give it a week or 10 days to see if does any good. Conversely, when you 'go off' of it, I believe that you reverse the dosage schedule so as to 'wean' yourself off of it. I am at 2700 mg/day. DENNIS

wendyn on 7/30/02 at 14:49 (091014)

Only you can't really turn fat into muscle - or muscle into fat. Two different types of cells. You CAN reduce fat and build muscle. Alternatively, if you stop the workouts- you can add fat and have muscles that shrink.

Do not worry about building too much muscle.

Jane T on 7/25/02 at 17:57 (090602)

Did you have plantar fasciitiis initially?
I have PF and have just now developed Tarsal Tunnel.
They have recommended neurontin, but I am researching therapies for this.
Thanks Jane

EKC on 7/26/02 at 08:32 (090648)

How long can you be on these drugs? 1 year, 5 year, lifetime?

Jane T on 7/26/02 at 10:25 (090661)

Most likelyindefinitely if you don't have side effect problems. They are pretty benign drugs--neurontin and elavil and nortriptyline. I have known people in my former psychiatry practice on elavil or nortriptyline for years without problems (usually for pain, sometimes for depression).
Jane

KathyB on 7/29/02 at 07:21 (090882)

I am willing to stay on them for a long while. My legs are so out of shape and weak that another surgery this soon would be very bad. I have to get my body back in shape and get some of the weight that I have gained off before I go for another surgery. It all depends on how long I can walk and how comfortable I am.

Jane T on 7/29/02 at 14:37 (090911)

I can't remember what you are taking, but nortripyline and or elavil and cause weight gain, and I am not sure about neurontin.
However, if they work for pain, that is something to consider. I would not worry about being on them for long term--at least from my research and understanding.

KathyB on 7/30/02 at 08:04 (090968)

Neurontin is the one that did it for me. Now I work out at the gym two times a week to get my muscle tone back. It is going to take a long time to get my weight down. First I have to turn the fat into muscle and then I have to reduce the the muscle. I guess I really should not worry about the weight number, and just worry about getting back into shape, the rest will come.

Jane T on 7/30/02 at 10:30 (090988)

How much neurontin worked? I just started last night, 100. How quickly did you go up on it? What do you do at the gym that does not hurt your foot?
Jane

Tammie on 7/30/02 at 11:39 (090995)

I jsut noticed that you are on neurontin and liked to add.
Take your time with going up in higher dose, I to am on it but started fairly low to the point I am working on now. I am on 600mg. per 3x day. Although I still have not really had alot of change with it yet I might be hard to tell with all other meds they have me on .

I hope that you are with a pain management doc as they are the best as far as I have learned. I was being quite stubborn about going there , but I will say and I bet (my friend Brian) will laugh as he has tried to get me there much sooner. That they have helped me more with my pain then any other doc I have seen! Not only that he jumped right in on testing , he was the only dod I seen who got me a mri and did a emg test. He felt I had a dx of RSD but he went on to test more and be assured there was not anything we were missing. I just had the first nerve block , I was terrified, Laurie and Janet have the best knowledge on this RSD but let me tell u the fear I had and the knowledge my dear friends here have offered is what gave me the courage to keep going! So my wish for you is to take it easy and listen to your pain and listen to what your dr. is telling you , If i missed your whole posts I am verry sorry I just picked it up on this . If your pain is out of control do not fear pain management docs they are so verry good at what they do and they do help with out you feeling a druggie or stopping looking for a cause. Gool luck and I hope that you feel lessoned pain soon!

Dennis B. on 7/30/02 at 13:45 (091005)

My understanding of Neurontin is that it needs to be 'built up' in the body. I was told to start with one pill for 3 days, then add another for 3 days, then the 3rd pill for another 3 days, etc. and when you are at the doctor prescribed dosage, give it a week or 10 days to see if does any good. Conversely, when you 'go off' of it, I believe that you reverse the dosage schedule so as to 'wean' yourself off of it. I am at 2700 mg/day. DENNIS

wendyn on 7/30/02 at 14:49 (091014)

Only you can't really turn fat into muscle - or muscle into fat. Two different types of cells. You CAN reduce fat and build muscle. Alternatively, if you stop the workouts- you can add fat and have muscles that shrink.

Do not worry about building too much muscle.