Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Here and lots of questions etc

Posted by Carrie on 7/24/02 at 10:24 (090491)

Wow I wish I would have known about this group a year or so ago. I have been through the ringer with pain issues. I have had foot pain that was chronic for 18 months, but I got rid of it, completely, still not sure what made it go away since I tried so many things(none included rest at all) I am an exercise freak and when the pain was too much to run anymore I switched to spinning at a gym(Bikes that you ride) anyhow I never slowed down and the pain still went away. I had several rounds of trigger point injections, the first few were with lidocaine only so it would numb for awhile then it would return, the last one was in December and it was with a little bit of steroids, I decided to stop cause the pain seemed to be worse. I still never slowed down my working out. Then it went away totally, and completely, I was foolish however, I went out and wore bad shoes, high platforms with wooden heel, yeah dumb, but I am a fashion freak. Anyhow I went 4 months before the pain came back, this time it is much worse, really bad, my left foot I can hardly even touch the back of the heel it is so sensitive. The right is bad but not as much. My problem other than major pain, is that I cannot find any shoe that works for me without pain, and what can I do? I need to get back in the gym bad, I took a week off, but will probably start in again, tomorrow, maybe just upper body and swimming?? Does anyone have a suggestion as the what shoes I should wear and what exercise would be best not to mess it up again? I also have to work, some days I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital, I am a secretary on a busy unit, my job requires me to be up and down constantly, so I am in allot of pain. I also cannot tolerate any kind of anti inflammatory meds, so the pain meds I can take, don't help much.

Gosh sorry I have so many questions, I just don't know what to do at this point. I have my foot taped right now, it helps a little bit. I also don't know what shoes to wear at this point. I bought some clogs, they felt good, but now I read that I should not wear hard soled shoes. I also have some boots but these hurt after a few hours, I need a little heel or it is very uncomfortable. Any idea and advice please please let me know.

Thanks all
Carrie+

Re: New Here and lots of questions etc

R C on 7/24/02 at 10:40 (090492)

I'm not knowledgeable about women's shoes, so on that I'll defer to others.

For exercise, I strongly recommend swimming. I started swimming three months ago, and have (intentionally) lost the 18 pounds I put on after I injured my foot 2+ years ago. I started out being a really lousy swimmer, but books, websites, and really nice people have helped me become basically competent.

You might also try taping your foot, which I found to be a crucial part of healing (others might have similar success with orthotics instead).

Shaira on 7/24/02 at 11:08 (090495)

If the clogs make your feet feel good then go with them. They probably feel good because of the arch support in them.

I would suggest the following shoes from my experience:

New Balance
Merrells

I just bought a pair of these shoes from The Walk Shop in Berkeley. Their address is http://www.walkshop.com . The name of the brand is Beautifeel and I tried them in the shop and they seemed good. I can't vouch for how they will feel in the long run though (I bought them for my wedding shoes, and I'll know on Friday, when I get married, how they will feel after an extended period and will hopefully, report to you all).

Some people here like Dansko's.

The other thing, is to try a supplement (look below). I have had really good success with Solgar's Glucosamine & Chondroitin, and also a KNEADING foot massager also really helps.

Good luck!

Re: Quit messing around call Dr Kiper & New Balance

Ron P. on 7/24/02 at 16:37 (090518)

Dear Carrie
Quit messing around w/ all those drugs & pain killers. I would talk to Dr Kiper ...short consultations are OK. (800 dr kiper) Other DPM's have used his Silicone Orthotics for Deep Kertosis & have had sucess! I think its the massaging effect the liquid has on deep tissue & nerves. Its the only device that flows laterally & vertical instead of only compressing vertically like foam or gel orthotics

A good wide shoe is New Balnce...Buy them, take your new SDO's & have the salesman check the fit Good Luck!

Re: ron

F.H. on 7/24/02 at 17:17 (090521)

do you sell for him? just curious as readin the boreds thatyou push his produkt alot.

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 09:59 (090560)

THanks for the info. I am just wondering if it is possible that shoes that felt good made my condition worse? I walked around allot in a pair of really hard wooden platform sandals and the pain seemed gone during that time until I took the shoes off, then it was bad. Now it is so bad I cannot wear those shoes anyhow. Arg double edged sword here.

I went to a foot Dr and he didn't say anything about my shoes, which seemed weird to me. He did give me a shot that pretty much failed to help. I am in allot of pain here, I tried taping the foot that is worse and so far it has not helped at all. I am trying to wear new balance shoes right now, they hurt too. I am getting desperate for relief.

Thanks and congrats on your wedding that is awesome. Do you live in the SF bay area by any chance? That is where I am from.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 10:10 (090562)

While I appreciate your time in answering my post I don't know about your situation but right now, I have to take something to help me cope with this pain or I would be in big trouble here. I am only 37 years old and have a career and family and life to live. I need relief too. I would love to try this product you speak of, but so far my luck with inserts is not good and never has been. I had orthotics that made my pain 100 times worse before. I also have underlying medical conditions that may be making my situation different from yours that is what I am trying to find out here. Who is this Dr you speak of? How much $$$ are we talking about here?

Thanks again I am anxious to find out more, but please when it comes to pain meds realize that some of us may need them.

Hugs
Carrie

margie p on 7/25/02 at 11:40 (090566)

I see youa are in Bay Area and another person in possibly Berkley area. I live between SF and Sacto

Re: Yes I live in the Bay Area

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:36 (090576)

n/a

Re: Try the Solgar Glucosamine & Chondroitin vitamins

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:41 (090578)

When I was in super pain I was taking them 5x every meal time. Take them with water. Don't take them for a long time, but they WILL really help you as long as you have the right shoes.

I would suggest immediately New Balance, or Merrells shoes. San Francisco has both of those shoes avail. SF has a NB shop and The Walking Co. on Powell (near Macy's in Union Square) has the Merrells. TWC will STRETCH your shoes as well (I needed my Merrells stretched for a few days).

I don't like taking prescriptions for pain and I found this helped...and I only used it for a very short period (the high doses).

Also...at this point I only take it very rarely (2 of them) when I'm in deep deep pain.

Getting comfy shoes will give you IMMEDIATE relief.

Re: I live in San Jose

Mahatmelissama on 7/25/02 at 17:07 (090597)

nice to see some more Bay Areans...;)

Re: To Ron P.

BrianG on 7/25/02 at 21:19 (090628)

Hi RonP,

Are you a doctor? If not, why would you tell someone to stop messing with 'all those drugs & pain killers'

Do you realize that there are many people who need daily pain meds just to get out of bed in the moring? People who have tried everything, including orthotics, surgery, etc. When nothing else has worked, and you have no qualtiy of life, how can you even suggest that someone stop taking a medicine that a specialized doctor has prescribed?

Inquiring minds whould like to know.
BrianG

Re: there is a link on the message board page

Mahatmelissama on 7/25/02 at 23:25 (090639)

I paid 346.00 dollars roughly. He has a 6 month gurantee full refund
back if you aren't satisfied (and he does honor that...I e-mailed a lady
off of here who told me she got a refund since they didn't work for her
TTS).

My feet are too sore with them right now...I am going to let him know
tomorrow (perhaps he needs to adjust them)

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:08 (090654)

BiranG.

Yeah thanks for the comments Brian. When it comes to pain meds this is the attitude people get often times and it can make life tough. You need the pain meds, yet others quite often times will look down on you like your some sort of low life drug addict. I have learned long ago that you should never ever make judgements about anyone till you have literally walked in their shoes.

It seems to me from reading this board lately that Ron P. is promoting some products pretty heavily and while these products may or may not be good, he sure seems to be the only one promoting them. SOOOOO I ask why is that? If there is something that is too good to be true I have found that it usually is just that, too good to be true.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:21 (090659)

WHat exactly did you pay 346 dollars for? Is this for the products that Ron P is ranting about all the time? Wow that is allot of money for something that you don't try on before hand. I personally have not found these type products to be helpful at all for me. Hopefully you will be able to get your money back.

hugs to you
Carrie

Re: Yup

Mahatmelissama on 7/26/02 at 11:21 (090668)

Hi Carrie, those are the orthotics Ron P is promoting. 346 is not a lot of money to spend if the products works. Since he gives back all but 20 bucks up to 6 months, the risk is zero to me to try them.

Ron P. must have found they work...so he is promoting them. To my knowledge, he doesn't work for Dr. Kiper.

The SDO (Silicon Dynamic Orthotics)'s link can be found in Scott R's index if you want to click on it and check it out.

I just e-mailed Dr. Kiper to let him know these are making me too sore to wear them much. Hopefully, he will have me send them back and tweak them.

Good luck, I hope you never get to the point where I am...wear you are willing to through money at everything cause of desperation. If Kiper did not have a 6 month money back guarantee, I would not have bothered trying them.

Re: Ron P Answers Once & For All!

Ron P. on 7/26/02 at 18:42 (090708)

Dear Carrie, F.H., BrianG et al

Yes I am a friend of Dr Kiper & have got to know him over the years after i was made much better by using SDO's. i don't sell for him. i have referred friends & four of them were cured by Dr Kiper and his liquid silicone orthotic WHICH IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what u people talk about as orthotics.

So i see this treatment as a powerful alternative to what u all talk about. Maybe not a 100% cure... but certainly an important one for really painful conditions & the only one i know of that u talk to the DPM 1st & then if your conditions fall under his known parameters he offers a trial period...is BrianG offering that?

So my short advice will continue ... about what i belive POINTS to a better mousetrap and more info via his website(note many others willing to answer questions on theis web site) & a talking tothe DPM himself.

Please don't bug me anymore about my intentions. Ron P

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 20:28 (090712)

Dear Ron

I certainly don't mean to offend you and I think it is great if these products have helped you so much that is fine. It just seems that in some ways your outspokeness about these products well, sounded like maybe an advertisement for something. If they work that is great, but please realize that not everyone has $346 bucks to spend on something they never saw first.; If these products are soooooo wonderful I certainly have to question why there is not a 100% free trial to try them on at least rather than have to spend any portion of unrefundable money to try them. Since I have bought many products via internet and catalog I have yet to see any product which was not returnable for a complete refund that was a reputable product. I am willing to look into these products, but feel that to be out even 20 bucks for something that doesn't work is pretty shady busy dealing. All you should be resposible for is shipping fees and if the products are so fantastic then I would think that he has nothing to lose by giveing a full refund if they do not fit or feel comfortable one should not be forced to pay $20 to simply try something on. What shoe store would still be in business if there was the policy?
I am glad you are feeling better because of them
Take care
Carrie

PS be careful what you say about pain meds, someday you may just have to take them yourself, then you might change your opinion

Re: I talked to Dr. Kiper yesterday...

Mahatmelissama on 7/27/02 at 17:52 (090761)

I e-mailed him and he called me right away. He had me 'switch the silicon packs (right to left...visversa)'. Left foot happier, right is not. I told him I would be glad to 'bite the bullet and endure lots of pain if it truly helps me...' Dr. Kiper said 'I don't want you to bite the bullet...we will work on this until you are comfortable' or something to that effect.

If his product does truly end up helping me, I am sure I have the power to sway some people to try them since I got my photo right up here on the website and many have heard my tears and anguish for a long time (like dear Carole C and Scott Mack Daddy R...).

I have been working out plus going to chriopractor ($40.00 a week). I am feeling some less pain just on these 2 along. Weight loss...plateauing but kept up (lost about 17 lbs)...that helps tremondously. I have done Joyce Vedral's program for like 3 or 4 weeks...very foot friendly (I can sit myself in a chair or lay down for the most part if I can not stand long).

Like I said, it depends how desperate you are...how long you have had the pain and the intensitivity of it. 346 is chicken feed if it TRULY works. Giving away the product for free is called 'doing an evaluation'. I begrudgingly do this in the computer industry with software. It pains me how often well-known companies will ignore me and use the software without paying for it. It is not a good business practice to me...but I work in sales and I may be a bit biased about this. I don't know Dr. Kiper (never even seen his face ... they cut his face out of all his videos) but I will say he is the ONLY DPM that has a deal like this and I don't think he should offer it for free. (In the software industry...my computer has a few products with a time limit...these are such a blessing! The customer is stuck PAYING for the product after 30 days if they want it.) Shoot, I had one Clergyman argue with me that his place of worship purchased our software when they just did an evaluation and let it run on and on (the person who started the eval left...). He never returned my calls after I explained that to him.

Re: Agree, if Dr. Kiper helps others it's a good thing :)

Shaira on 7/27/02 at 23:48 (090782)

My only problem is that I prefer my orthotics already in the shoes, ie, Mephisto, Merrells...

Re: Hey whatever works for ya'..Shaira...

Mahatmelissama on 7/29/02 at 11:43 (090898)

You know I thought of Sharika when I saw your name...hehe...'whatever...forever...we'll be together..' and i now
have that song stuck in my head. ;)

Re: I don't know about Dr. Kiper...but many say he works

Shaira on 7/29/02 at 13:03 (090906)

There was a bit of bashing going on here about Dr. Kiper, but I looked at his website and it looks good...and Ron says he worked for him.

I don't know anything about his orthotics.

I hate Shakira..I am not arabic and/or spanish like she is either.

R C on 7/24/02 at 10:40 (090492)

I'm not knowledgeable about women's shoes, so on that I'll defer to others.

For exercise, I strongly recommend swimming. I started swimming three months ago, and have (intentionally) lost the 18 pounds I put on after I injured my foot 2+ years ago. I started out being a really lousy swimmer, but books, websites, and really nice people have helped me become basically competent.

You might also try taping your foot, which I found to be a crucial part of healing (others might have similar success with orthotics instead).

Shaira on 7/24/02 at 11:08 (090495)

If the clogs make your feet feel good then go with them. They probably feel good because of the arch support in them.

I would suggest the following shoes from my experience:

New Balance
Merrells

I just bought a pair of these shoes from The Walk Shop in Berkeley. Their address is http://www.walkshop.com . The name of the brand is Beautifeel and I tried them in the shop and they seemed good. I can't vouch for how they will feel in the long run though (I bought them for my wedding shoes, and I'll know on Friday, when I get married, how they will feel after an extended period and will hopefully, report to you all).

Some people here like Dansko's.

The other thing, is to try a supplement (look below). I have had really good success with Solgar's Glucosamine & Chondroitin, and also a KNEADING foot massager also really helps.

Good luck!

Ron P. on 7/24/02 at 16:37 (090518)

Dear Carrie
Quit messing around w/ all those drugs & pain killers. I would talk to Dr Kiper ...short consultations are OK. (800 dr kiper) Other DPM's have used his Silicone Orthotics for Deep Kertosis & have had sucess! I think its the massaging effect the liquid has on deep tissue & nerves. Its the only device that flows laterally & vertical instead of only compressing vertically like foam or gel orthotics

A good wide shoe is New Balnce...Buy them, take your new SDO's & have the salesman check the fit Good Luck!

Re: ron

F.H. on 7/24/02 at 17:17 (090521)

do you sell for him? just curious as readin the boreds thatyou push his produkt alot.

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 09:59 (090560)

THanks for the info. I am just wondering if it is possible that shoes that felt good made my condition worse? I walked around allot in a pair of really hard wooden platform sandals and the pain seemed gone during that time until I took the shoes off, then it was bad. Now it is so bad I cannot wear those shoes anyhow. Arg double edged sword here.

I went to a foot Dr and he didn't say anything about my shoes, which seemed weird to me. He did give me a shot that pretty much failed to help. I am in allot of pain here, I tried taping the foot that is worse and so far it has not helped at all. I am trying to wear new balance shoes right now, they hurt too. I am getting desperate for relief.

Thanks and congrats on your wedding that is awesome. Do you live in the SF bay area by any chance? That is where I am from.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 7/25/02 at 10:10 (090562)

While I appreciate your time in answering my post I don't know about your situation but right now, I have to take something to help me cope with this pain or I would be in big trouble here. I am only 37 years old and have a career and family and life to live. I need relief too. I would love to try this product you speak of, but so far my luck with inserts is not good and never has been. I had orthotics that made my pain 100 times worse before. I also have underlying medical conditions that may be making my situation different from yours that is what I am trying to find out here. Who is this Dr you speak of? How much $$$ are we talking about here?

Thanks again I am anxious to find out more, but please when it comes to pain meds realize that some of us may need them.

Hugs
Carrie

margie p on 7/25/02 at 11:40 (090566)

I see youa are in Bay Area and another person in possibly Berkley area. I live between SF and Sacto

Re: Yes I live in the Bay Area

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:36 (090576)

n/a

Re: Try the Solgar Glucosamine & Chondroitin vitamins

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:41 (090578)

When I was in super pain I was taking them 5x every meal time. Take them with water. Don't take them for a long time, but they WILL really help you as long as you have the right shoes.

I would suggest immediately New Balance, or Merrells shoes. San Francisco has both of those shoes avail. SF has a NB shop and The Walking Co. on Powell (near Macy's in Union Square) has the Merrells. TWC will STRETCH your shoes as well (I needed my Merrells stretched for a few days).

I don't like taking prescriptions for pain and I found this helped...and I only used it for a very short period (the high doses).

Also...at this point I only take it very rarely (2 of them) when I'm in deep deep pain.

Getting comfy shoes will give you IMMEDIATE relief.

Re: I live in San Jose

Mahatmelissama on 7/25/02 at 17:07 (090597)

nice to see some more Bay Areans...;)

BrianG on 7/25/02 at 21:19 (090628)

Hi RonP,

Are you a doctor? If not, why would you tell someone to stop messing with 'all those drugs & pain killers'

Do you realize that there are many people who need daily pain meds just to get out of bed in the moring? People who have tried everything, including orthotics, surgery, etc. When nothing else has worked, and you have no qualtiy of life, how can you even suggest that someone stop taking a medicine that a specialized doctor has prescribed?

Inquiring minds whould like to know.
BrianG

Mahatmelissama on 7/25/02 at 23:25 (090639)

I paid 346.00 dollars roughly. He has a 6 month gurantee full refund
back if you aren't satisfied (and he does honor that...I e-mailed a lady
off of here who told me she got a refund since they didn't work for her
TTS).

My feet are too sore with them right now...I am going to let him know
tomorrow (perhaps he needs to adjust them)

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:08 (090654)

BiranG.

Yeah thanks for the comments Brian. When it comes to pain meds this is the attitude people get often times and it can make life tough. You need the pain meds, yet others quite often times will look down on you like your some sort of low life drug addict. I have learned long ago that you should never ever make judgements about anyone till you have literally walked in their shoes.

It seems to me from reading this board lately that Ron P. is promoting some products pretty heavily and while these products may or may not be good, he sure seems to be the only one promoting them. SOOOOO I ask why is that? If there is something that is too good to be true I have found that it usually is just that, too good to be true.

hugs
Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:21 (090659)

WHat exactly did you pay 346 dollars for? Is this for the products that Ron P is ranting about all the time? Wow that is allot of money for something that you don't try on before hand. I personally have not found these type products to be helpful at all for me. Hopefully you will be able to get your money back.

hugs to you
Carrie

Re: Yup

Mahatmelissama on 7/26/02 at 11:21 (090668)

Hi Carrie, those are the orthotics Ron P is promoting. 346 is not a lot of money to spend if the products works. Since he gives back all but 20 bucks up to 6 months, the risk is zero to me to try them.

Ron P. must have found they work...so he is promoting them. To my knowledge, he doesn't work for Dr. Kiper.

The SDO (Silicon Dynamic Orthotics)'s link can be found in Scott R's index if you want to click on it and check it out.

I just e-mailed Dr. Kiper to let him know these are making me too sore to wear them much. Hopefully, he will have me send them back and tweak them.

Good luck, I hope you never get to the point where I am...wear you are willing to through money at everything cause of desperation. If Kiper did not have a 6 month money back guarantee, I would not have bothered trying them.

Ron P. on 7/26/02 at 18:42 (090708)

Dear Carrie, F.H., BrianG et al

Yes I am a friend of Dr Kiper & have got to know him over the years after i was made much better by using SDO's. i don't sell for him. i have referred friends & four of them were cured by Dr Kiper and his liquid silicone orthotic WHICH IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what u people talk about as orthotics.

So i see this treatment as a powerful alternative to what u all talk about. Maybe not a 100% cure... but certainly an important one for really painful conditions & the only one i know of that u talk to the DPM 1st & then if your conditions fall under his known parameters he offers a trial period...is BrianG offering that?

So my short advice will continue ... about what i belive POINTS to a better mousetrap and more info via his website(note many others willing to answer questions on theis web site) & a talking tothe DPM himself.

Please don't bug me anymore about my intentions. Ron P

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 20:28 (090712)

Dear Ron

I certainly don't mean to offend you and I think it is great if these products have helped you so much that is fine. It just seems that in some ways your outspokeness about these products well, sounded like maybe an advertisement for something. If they work that is great, but please realize that not everyone has $346 bucks to spend on something they never saw first.; If these products are soooooo wonderful I certainly have to question why there is not a 100% free trial to try them on at least rather than have to spend any portion of unrefundable money to try them. Since I have bought many products via internet and catalog I have yet to see any product which was not returnable for a complete refund that was a reputable product. I am willing to look into these products, but feel that to be out even 20 bucks for something that doesn't work is pretty shady busy dealing. All you should be resposible for is shipping fees and if the products are so fantastic then I would think that he has nothing to lose by giveing a full refund if they do not fit or feel comfortable one should not be forced to pay $20 to simply try something on. What shoe store would still be in business if there was the policy?
I am glad you are feeling better because of them
Take care
Carrie

PS be careful what you say about pain meds, someday you may just have to take them yourself, then you might change your opinion

Re: I talked to Dr. Kiper yesterday...

Mahatmelissama on 7/27/02 at 17:52 (090761)

I e-mailed him and he called me right away. He had me 'switch the silicon packs (right to left...visversa)'. Left foot happier, right is not. I told him I would be glad to 'bite the bullet and endure lots of pain if it truly helps me...' Dr. Kiper said 'I don't want you to bite the bullet...we will work on this until you are comfortable' or something to that effect.

If his product does truly end up helping me, I am sure I have the power to sway some people to try them since I got my photo right up here on the website and many have heard my tears and anguish for a long time (like dear Carole C and Scott Mack Daddy R...).

I have been working out plus going to chriopractor ($40.00 a week). I am feeling some less pain just on these 2 along. Weight loss...plateauing but kept up (lost about 17 lbs)...that helps tremondously. I have done Joyce Vedral's program for like 3 or 4 weeks...very foot friendly (I can sit myself in a chair or lay down for the most part if I can not stand long).

Like I said, it depends how desperate you are...how long you have had the pain and the intensitivity of it. 346 is chicken feed if it TRULY works. Giving away the product for free is called 'doing an evaluation'. I begrudgingly do this in the computer industry with software. It pains me how often well-known companies will ignore me and use the software without paying for it. It is not a good business practice to me...but I work in sales and I may be a bit biased about this. I don't know Dr. Kiper (never even seen his face ... they cut his face out of all his videos) but I will say he is the ONLY DPM that has a deal like this and I don't think he should offer it for free. (In the software industry...my computer has a few products with a time limit...these are such a blessing! The customer is stuck PAYING for the product after 30 days if they want it.) Shoot, I had one Clergyman argue with me that his place of worship purchased our software when they just did an evaluation and let it run on and on (the person who started the eval left...). He never returned my calls after I explained that to him.

Re: Agree, if Dr. Kiper helps others it's a good thing :)

Shaira on 7/27/02 at 23:48 (090782)

My only problem is that I prefer my orthotics already in the shoes, ie, Mephisto, Merrells...

Re: Hey whatever works for ya'..Shaira...

Mahatmelissama on 7/29/02 at 11:43 (090898)

You know I thought of Sharika when I saw your name...hehe...'whatever...forever...we'll be together..' and i now
have that song stuck in my head. ;)

Re: I don't know about Dr. Kiper...but many say he works

Shaira on 7/29/02 at 13:03 (090906)

There was a bit of bashing going on here about Dr. Kiper, but I looked at his website and it looks good...and Ron says he worked for him.

I don't know anything about his orthotics.

I hate Shakira..I am not arabic and/or spanish like she is either.