Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascitis

Posted by Tresa R. on 7/24/02 at 22:27 (090538)

My husband is having the Plantar Fascitis surgery, partial release on August 2, 2002. The doctor stated he was going to cut it 1/3 and we are concerned about recovery time. How will he feel after surgery and what can we expect directly after surgery?

Re: Plantar Fascitis-Surgery or ESWT??

Carolyn F. on 7/25/02 at 08:38 (090551)

Tresa, have you done any research on ESWT for plantar facitis? I have suffered with PF for 6 years. I was finally told by a Temple University doctor(Philadelphia) that I needed surgery as no other conservative methods were working. He told me to research the ESWT method. My father and I spent several months doing so. I do not know the specifics of your case, however what I do know is this: Plantar Release surgery is NOT reversable. Once you cut that tendon there is no going back and NO guarantee that you will be healed. The recovery time is quite extensive and there are risks for infection. You could be looking at anywhere between 2-3 months of healing.ESWT is completely non evasive and does not interrupt your life in such a horrible manner. It's success rate is phenominal. This website can give you great info on it and there are many people including myself that can offer our experiences with you. I am sure you and your husband have given this surgery great thought, but I urge you to take some time and look into ESWT.
Best of luck to you in life and health.

I am not a doctor, these are just my opinions based on research.

Jane T on 7/26/02 at 10:28 (090663)

What kind of eswt did you have and where? I am thinking of Bayshore Clinic, Canada with the low intensity treatment --3 days (Siemons); they also offer Ossatron (one time, requires anesthesia, more money).
Did you rest afterwards, rehab, for how long and what?
Thanks Jane

Carolyn F on 7/26/02 at 11:02 (090667)

I went in for one high intensity on the dornier epos, but for some reason the novacane did not take (not to the lack of the doctor trying) to my foot-I may not have the nerve that tells the foot to go to sleep. So, Anyway I received a low intensity treatment and two weeks later a second and next week i will have the third and final . Then i wait for the 6-12 weeks to see how I feel. I went to Dr. Z. in New Jersey. I live in Philly. I will be honest , the first week was awful - BUT!!!- I think that most of that was due to all the shots, because after my second treatment I only got one shot and then a low treatment and had very minimal discomfort. In fact went out to lunch and a few shops with my husband afterwards. I have yet to really feel better than before any procedures, but I am a waitress and I am on my feet 6-10 hours a day which will delay my progress. i am hopeful though. I looked into Canada as well, but the lesser cost would disappear after travel expenses. Dr. Z. is $2500 for one foot and $1000 for the second thereafter. AND you are guaranteed that if it ever comes back - which it shouldnt - to receive further treatments at no cost. My father (who is retired) and I did a lot of research. He accompanied me to the consultation. We were both impressed with Dr. Z. He is very experienced and VERY nice. Recovery really depends on the person and your particular level of PF. But I would be happy to answer anything I can for you. (email removed)

Best of luck to you.

Carolyn F. on 7/25/02 at 08:38 (090551)

Tresa, have you done any research on ESWT for plantar facitis? I have suffered with PF for 6 years. I was finally told by a Temple University doctor(Philadelphia) that I needed surgery as no other conservative methods were working. He told me to research the ESWT method. My father and I spent several months doing so. I do not know the specifics of your case, however what I do know is this: Plantar Release surgery is NOT reversable. Once you cut that tendon there is no going back and NO guarantee that you will be healed. The recovery time is quite extensive and there are risks for infection. You could be looking at anywhere between 2-3 months of healing.ESWT is completely non evasive and does not interrupt your life in such a horrible manner. It's success rate is phenominal. This website can give you great info on it and there are many people including myself that can offer our experiences with you. I am sure you and your husband have given this surgery great thought, but I urge you to take some time and look into ESWT.
Best of luck to you in life and health.

I am not a doctor, these are just my opinions based on research.

Jane T on 7/26/02 at 10:28 (090663)

What kind of eswt did you have and where? I am thinking of Bayshore Clinic, Canada with the low intensity treatment --3 days (Siemons); they also offer Ossatron (one time, requires anesthesia, more money).
Did you rest afterwards, rehab, for how long and what?
Thanks Jane

Carolyn F on 7/26/02 at 11:02 (090667)

I went in for one high intensity on the dornier epos, but for some reason the novacane did not take (not to the lack of the doctor trying) to my foot-I may not have the nerve that tells the foot to go to sleep. So, Anyway I received a low intensity treatment and two weeks later a second and next week i will have the third and final . Then i wait for the 6-12 weeks to see how I feel. I went to Dr. Z. in New Jersey. I live in Philly. I will be honest , the first week was awful - BUT!!!- I think that most of that was due to all the shots, because after my second treatment I only got one shot and then a low treatment and had very minimal discomfort. In fact went out to lunch and a few shops with my husband afterwards. I have yet to really feel better than before any procedures, but I am a waitress and I am on my feet 6-10 hours a day which will delay my progress. i am hopeful though. I looked into Canada as well, but the lesser cost would disappear after travel expenses. Dr. Z. is $2500 for one foot and $1000 for the second thereafter. AND you are guaranteed that if it ever comes back - which it shouldnt - to receive further treatments at no cost. My father (who is retired) and I did a lot of research. He accompanied me to the consultation. We were both impressed with Dr. Z. He is very experienced and VERY nice. Recovery really depends on the person and your particular level of PF. But I would be happy to answer anything I can for you. (email removed)

Best of luck to you.