Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More questions Nerve block

Posted by Carrie on 7/25/02 at 09:51 (090557)

First of all thank you to those who answered my previous post. Lots to think about. Now for a few more questions. Ok, I am seeing my pain doc today because I am also having some other pain issues, which may or may not be related to the foot thing. Now she told me about a nerve block that they can do, I am thinking about it, but I am not sure it would be good in the long term, since I would think if the pain is just being numbed that the damage would still be happening, however, to be out of pain sounds really good at this point. Resting has not proven to be beneficial to me yet, I am still hurting like hell. Well, not that I have been totally resting of course, but still I have not been to the gym in over a week, which is a record for me, the gym is my anti depressant and without it I am a little depressed, after only 1 week, so I guess it will be time to go back and at least lift some weights and maybe swim.

Another question I have is this, if the flat shoes, or shoes like no balance are so good how come my foot hurts much worse in these than it does in a shoe with a heel and platform? Some one at the hospital where I work told me that this is cause I am stretching out the muscle and that it will be better for me over the long haul, that the heels will weaken and shorten the tendon or something. Is this true? I just need to be out of pain but I also don't want to do more damage.

Also any ideas why the steroids didn't help at all on me? it has been 7 days since that painful shot, it didn't help at all, in fact it seemed to make it worse at least for 4 days or so, now I am just bad as I was.

I walked a ton 3 weeks ago in Ca I was on a trip to visit my family there, I was doing so good, my pain was minimal at best I walked around in high hard platform sandals and was ok, but then I ran on it and now here i am 3 weeks later, could this be why it has come back so hard?

And last thing, someone on here told me to stop messing with pain meds, am I the only one that takes pain meds for this? Good heaven I find that hard to believe? Why suffer with no help if you don't have to! Anyhow due to my stomach I cannot take anti inflammatorys so I have nothing but some pain killers to help me, without them I feel I would be much worse off.

Ok that should do it for now. Thanks guys

Carrie

Re: You've already bought New Balance shoes?

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:43 (090580)

If you've already bought the New Balance shoes and you're more comfy in the hard clog type with the raised arch, I would stay with the shoes that are the most comfy.

IMHO, comfy shoes are one of the major keys to getting better from this.

Re: More questions Nerve block

BrianG on 7/25/02 at 21:08 (090626)

Hi Carrie,

I have no idea who told you to stop messing with pain meds, nor do I care. There are many people on this forum who take pain meds on a daily basis. Most Pods and doctors do not feel qualified to treat chronic pain. It's best to seek out a Pain Management Clinic, or doctor. They have been trained to help you. There is no need to suffer chronic pain in this day and age.

It also helps to find out exactlly what is causing your problem. If it persists, pain meds are certainly a valid treatment. Good luck

BrianG

PS Most of the pure opiates will not hurt your stomach, or other organs. Watch out for the Percodans, and Percocets, which contain asprin and Tylanol (which can hurt you).

DJ on 7/26/02 at 10:04 (090651)

I've had several Nerve Blocks over the past two years but all were for diagnostic purposes. Basically, they were using the nerve block in an attempt to find what the underlying problem was.

DJ on 7/26/02 at 10:06 (090653)

Brian

It was RonP, the advocate of Dr. Kiper orthotics that advised her to stop messing around with Pain meds and just use Dr. Kiper orthotics.

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:10 (090655)

What is up with that guy anyhow? How come no one else talks about these products?

Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:13 (090656)

So how did they work? I saw my pain Dr yesterday who wants to rule out gout? Ha I kind of find that interesting since I don't believe that I have gout, but what the heck I will get the blood test to be sure. I am 99.9% sure what I have is PF. Hey can you tell me more about the nerve block you had and if it was effective in treating your pain at all? I am considering it as a last last last resort if I am not going to get better, but last night my pain actually was gone for a short time, of course this am it is back. I was told that the nerve block is actually called a beer block and that it is used to block nerve pain to the lower extremity.

tell me more about your situation and how it worked or did not work for you and if the procedure was painful etc etc
THanks
Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:29 (090664)

Hi Brian

Yes you are correct about pain meds. I go to a pain Dr who specializes in pain control, she has me on very low doses of oxycontin and oxycodone, neither of which has any tylenol in it. Vicodin and percocet can be hard on the liver, esp for long term pain control. The oxycontin and oxycodone are much easier on your body and the good thing about them is that they are easy on the stomach since I have a sensitive stomach that is great for me.

Thanks for you support
Carrie

john h on 7/26/02 at 12:38 (090673)

Brain you are right on about medications being a viable option for pain. Many people with many diseases could not survive with out them.

Kathy G on 7/30/02 at 09:37 (090983)

Carrie,

I honestly can't imagine how I'd get through some days without being able to take something for the pain! Less for me now, but in the beginning, it was essential. I never took any of the opiates but they are a very viable treatment. Anyone who tells you that you don't need anything for the pain and that an orthotic will do the trick has no understanding of the condition at all. Many people on these boards don't find that the anti-inflamatories help them with PF at all. Each person reacts differently to pain and pain meds. You need to find out what works for you and use it in the way that best serves you - with a doctor's supervision, of course!

john h on 7/30/02 at 10:16 (090986)

Kathy: I have never in 8 years ever found than any NSAID helped the pain in my feet. The only thing I took that really helped was a Medrol Pak which of course you can not take on a regular basis. The two cortisone injections stopped the pain for about 5 days. I have not tried any opiates other than when I had a kidney stone and at that time I could have cared less about my feet. I do not even remember if they were hurting or not because of the stone. Sort of like do your feet hurt when you are giving birth or in labor? I doubt it! Certainly pain must be controlled and if it takes an opiate then so be it.

Re: Sorry, I never had a block

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 20:19 (091045)

Maybe RonP would like to walk in her shoes for a week!!!

BrianG

Re: Board gremlins !!!

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 20:36 (091046)

The above post, by Eilzabeth, somehow got posted twice. At her 'real' post, on Ask the Doctor, and here instead of mine.

What I really wanted to say, is that someday RonP may have the chance to walk in Carrie's shoes. Until then, I would hope that he would respect her treatment.

BrianG

Re: About pain, John h

Kathy G on 7/31/02 at 18:34 (091197)

Exactly, I had a terrible migraine this afternoon and finally broke down and took a Percocet. At a certain point, I didn't think my feet were hurting and then I realized that the pain in my head was just blocking out the pain in my feet! Now the headache is just about gone, but my feet are killing me! It's nice to have variety... you know, one end or the other!

Andrue on 8/01/02 at 02:31 (091242)

Hah! Yes! I've been getting muscle/tendon aches in my hands and forearms for a couple of months now. My doctor and I think/hope it's just me using them to protect my feet by taking some of the wheight when getting up. But I sometimes wonder if my recent improvement in my feet has just transfered a balance of pain up to my arms.

Heh - a new form of treatment. We can call it mobile pain. When you're sick of it in one place just transfer it somewhere else for a change :)

Re: You've already bought New Balance shoes?

Shaira on 7/25/02 at 12:43 (090580)

If you've already bought the New Balance shoes and you're more comfy in the hard clog type with the raised arch, I would stay with the shoes that are the most comfy.

IMHO, comfy shoes are one of the major keys to getting better from this.

BrianG on 7/25/02 at 21:08 (090626)

Hi Carrie,

I have no idea who told you to stop messing with pain meds, nor do I care. There are many people on this forum who take pain meds on a daily basis. Most Pods and doctors do not feel qualified to treat chronic pain. It's best to seek out a Pain Management Clinic, or doctor. They have been trained to help you. There is no need to suffer chronic pain in this day and age.

It also helps to find out exactlly what is causing your problem. If it persists, pain meds are certainly a valid treatment. Good luck

BrianG

PS Most of the pure opiates will not hurt your stomach, or other organs. Watch out for the Percodans, and Percocets, which contain asprin and Tylanol (which can hurt you).

DJ on 7/26/02 at 10:04 (090651)

I've had several Nerve Blocks over the past two years but all were for diagnostic purposes. Basically, they were using the nerve block in an attempt to find what the underlying problem was.

DJ on 7/26/02 at 10:06 (090653)

Brian

It was RonP, the advocate of Dr. Kiper orthotics that advised her to stop messing around with Pain meds and just use Dr. Kiper orthotics.

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:10 (090655)

What is up with that guy anyhow? How come no one else talks about these products?

Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:13 (090656)

So how did they work? I saw my pain Dr yesterday who wants to rule out gout? Ha I kind of find that interesting since I don't believe that I have gout, but what the heck I will get the blood test to be sure. I am 99.9% sure what I have is PF. Hey can you tell me more about the nerve block you had and if it was effective in treating your pain at all? I am considering it as a last last last resort if I am not going to get better, but last night my pain actually was gone for a short time, of course this am it is back. I was told that the nerve block is actually called a beer block and that it is used to block nerve pain to the lower extremity.

tell me more about your situation and how it worked or did not work for you and if the procedure was painful etc etc
THanks
Carrie

Carrie on 7/26/02 at 10:29 (090664)

Hi Brian

Yes you are correct about pain meds. I go to a pain Dr who specializes in pain control, she has me on very low doses of oxycontin and oxycodone, neither of which has any tylenol in it. Vicodin and percocet can be hard on the liver, esp for long term pain control. The oxycontin and oxycodone are much easier on your body and the good thing about them is that they are easy on the stomach since I have a sensitive stomach that is great for me.

Thanks for you support
Carrie

john h on 7/26/02 at 12:38 (090673)

Brain you are right on about medications being a viable option for pain. Many people with many diseases could not survive with out them.

Kathy G on 7/30/02 at 09:37 (090983)

Carrie,

I honestly can't imagine how I'd get through some days without being able to take something for the pain! Less for me now, but in the beginning, it was essential. I never took any of the opiates but they are a very viable treatment. Anyone who tells you that you don't need anything for the pain and that an orthotic will do the trick has no understanding of the condition at all. Many people on these boards don't find that the anti-inflamatories help them with PF at all. Each person reacts differently to pain and pain meds. You need to find out what works for you and use it in the way that best serves you - with a doctor's supervision, of course!

john h on 7/30/02 at 10:16 (090986)

Kathy: I have never in 8 years ever found than any NSAID helped the pain in my feet. The only thing I took that really helped was a Medrol Pak which of course you can not take on a regular basis. The two cortisone injections stopped the pain for about 5 days. I have not tried any opiates other than when I had a kidney stone and at that time I could have cared less about my feet. I do not even remember if they were hurting or not because of the stone. Sort of like do your feet hurt when you are giving birth or in labor? I doubt it! Certainly pain must be controlled and if it takes an opiate then so be it.

Re: Sorry, I never had a block

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 20:19 (091045)

Maybe RonP would like to walk in her shoes for a week!!!

BrianG

Re: Board gremlins !!!

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 20:36 (091046)

The above post, by Eilzabeth, somehow got posted twice. At her 'real' post, on Ask the Doctor, and here instead of mine.

What I really wanted to say, is that someday RonP may have the chance to walk in Carrie's shoes. Until then, I would hope that he would respect her treatment.

BrianG

Kathy G on 7/31/02 at 18:34 (091197)

Exactly, I had a terrible migraine this afternoon and finally broke down and took a Percocet. At a certain point, I didn't think my feet were hurting and then I realized that the pain in my head was just blocking out the pain in my feet! Now the headache is just about gone, but my feet are killing me! It's nice to have variety... you know, one end or the other!

Andrue on 8/01/02 at 02:31 (091242)

Hah! Yes! I've been getting muscle/tendon aches in my hands and forearms for a couple of months now. My doctor and I think/hope it's just me using them to protect my feet by taking some of the wheight when getting up. But I sometimes wonder if my recent improvement in my feet has just transfered a balance of pain up to my arms.

Heh - a new form of treatment. We can call it mobile pain. When you're sick of it in one place just transfer it somewhere else for a change :)