Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe ? for Docs

Posted by Carrie on 7/25/02 at 13:27 (090583)

I am in allot of pain, the Dr's i have seen think it is pf. My question is this. I need to know if it is ok to wear a clog that has a wooden heel and is a high heel? I was told by an RN where I work that I am making my problem worse by shortening my achilles tendon with the high heel. If I wear a low heel or flat shoe I am in agony. I feel better in the higher heel but only with a platform, if it is just a raised heel I am again in agony. I am an exercise freak, usually at least 4x a week, and hurt my foot running. I also was wearing hard platform sandals that were comfortable but now hurt, could the shoes have caused the problem or do you think it was the running? My pf was gone after 18 months and it was gone for a good 4 months, It was sort of coming back a little bit, and I feel that the bad shoes and running brought it on again full force, in fact it is worse this time than before. Anyhow please help me about the shoe issue. My podiatrist didn't even seem to mention shoes when I saw him, i go back to see him in a week, and will discuss this with him then.

Thanks so much
Carrie

Re: Shoe ? for Docs

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/26/02 at 15:17 (090698)

Your problems can be from the shoes, from the running, from tightness of the gastroc-soleus complex (Achilles) or a combination of all of the above. You may want to see a podiatrist or physical therapist regarding stretching exercises. Although wooden clogs offer support, unfortunately there is little if any shock absorption. There is an excellent shoe that I have often recommended on this site, which is basically a cross between a running shoe/hiking shoe/clog. The company that makes these is named MERRELL and I have many of my patients in these shoes. There is a website http://www.merrellboot.com that you may want to check out (look under the heading 'after sport'. The shoes are also available at Nordstroms department store, Eastern Mountain Sports, The Walking Store, etc.

Re: Shoe ? for Docs

Dr. David S. Wander on 7/26/02 at 15:17 (090698)

Your problems can be from the shoes, from the running, from tightness of the gastroc-soleus complex (Achilles) or a combination of all of the above. You may want to see a podiatrist or physical therapist regarding stretching exercises. Although wooden clogs offer support, unfortunately there is little if any shock absorption. There is an excellent shoe that I have often recommended on this site, which is basically a cross between a running shoe/hiking shoe/clog. The company that makes these is named MERRELL and I have many of my patients in these shoes. There is a website http://www.merrellboot.com that you may want to check out (look under the heading 'after sport'. The shoes are also available at Nordstroms department store, Eastern Mountain Sports, The Walking Store, etc.