Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 months post-op and still in pain

Posted by sherry s on 7/25/02 at 13:42 (090584)

I had heel spur surgery 7 months ago and I am still in a great amount of pain. My Dr. tells me it can take 8 to 10 months to get over this, but everything I read says unless there are complications recovery should take 6 to 8 weeks. I cannot exercise and have gained weight and cannot seem to get on with life. It is like this will be my permanant way of life. Can someone who has had this same surgery tell me how long it took them to get back to normal.

Re: 7 months post-op and still in pain

kay on 7/25/02 at 15:01 (090589)

what kind of surgery did you have? was it open surgery or was it endoscopic?
kay

Karen G. on 7/30/02 at 07:48 (090967)

I had the TTS and PF open release 5 months ago. I have had pretty steady pain for most of the time. I will say that I have noticed a change in the last few weeks. I think the pain is starting to subside, finally! I have been going to PT for a few months. I have had Deep Friction Massage twice a week for the last 3 weeks. I really do feel different since getting the massage treatments. I find them to be very painful, but I do have less pain for a number of days after. I can now play golf... only walking 27 hole a week but it's a start! I couldn't have walked one hole in May. I now feel like things are going to be ok. I thought I was one of those failed surgeries. The surgeon warned me up front that some people heal in 4 months, some 6 and some a year. He feels that I am in the year group. I can wait because I see improvement! So hang in there Sherry...the improvement might come when you least expect it.

trish e on 8/05/02 at 17:12 (091663)

hi sherry,i had tts and pf open release 2/26/02 and i have alot of heal pain in the incision area,but have since learned after my surgery i have a herniated disk,but iam getting mixed messages because i have been told that where i have the pinched nerve would not cause me to have heal pain in both heals,just listen to your body and take it slow and don't feel alone.they have stopped my therapy it was doing nothing and now i just walk in pain and watch my ankle swell. hopefully you will not get complications like i did.hang in there.

kay on 7/25/02 at 15:01 (090589)

what kind of surgery did you have? was it open surgery or was it endoscopic?
kay

Karen G. on 7/30/02 at 07:48 (090967)

I had the TTS and PF open release 5 months ago. I have had pretty steady pain for most of the time. I will say that I have noticed a change in the last few weeks. I think the pain is starting to subside, finally! I have been going to PT for a few months. I have had Deep Friction Massage twice a week for the last 3 weeks. I really do feel different since getting the massage treatments. I find them to be very painful, but I do have less pain for a number of days after. I can now play golf... only walking 27 hole a week but it's a start! I couldn't have walked one hole in May. I now feel like things are going to be ok. I thought I was one of those failed surgeries. The surgeon warned me up front that some people heal in 4 months, some 6 and some a year. He feels that I am in the year group. I can wait because I see improvement! So hang in there Sherry...the improvement might come when you least expect it.

trish e on 8/05/02 at 17:12 (091663)

hi sherry,i had tts and pf open release 2/26/02 and i have alot of heal pain in the incision area,but have since learned after my surgery i have a herniated disk,but iam getting mixed messages because i have been told that where i have the pinched nerve would not cause me to have heal pain in both heals,just listen to your body and take it slow and don't feel alone.they have stopped my therapy it was doing nothing and now i just walk in pain and watch my ankle swell. hopefully you will not get complications like i did.hang in there.