Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Docs --Heat vs ice -- post ESWT

Posted by Mar on 7/26/02 at 08:20 (090647)

Hi Docs --

I am 9 weeks post ESWT and will probably have round 2 on Aug 14. I saw my doctor a week ago and he said to keep stretching and continue with the heat, unless I have extreme pain then use ice. I have had extreme pain for over a week so have been using the ice and doing a lot of stretching. I tried the heat once and the pain seemed a little worse. I am concerned because I know the heat is supposed to heal and I am not using it. Should I use the heat even if the pain becomes worse? Thanks -- Mar

Re: Docs --Heat vs ice -- post ESWT

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/26/02 at 13:44 (090682)

Alternate heat and ice -- use both but always end with ice since it calms things down.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/02 at 15:07 (090694)

Hi

What I have found to work and make sense is to use ice for severe pain for eswt and then warm heat after twenty hours.post ESWT With foot surgery ice is important but since the trauma with ESWT doesn't include severe foot swelling ice isn't needed except for severe pain which is rare.

Mar on 7/26/02 at 20:43 (090714)

Thanks Docs for the info. I only have swelling in the heat and humidity, otherwise my feet are not swollen. But any weight bearing, walking or standing, is extremely painful, just like pre-ESWT. I like the alternating of heat and ice because then I feel like I am trying to heal things as well as trying to reduce the pain. Hopefully I will fare better with my second round of ESWT. Thanks so much for always being here to answer questions and calm fears. Mar

Mar on 7/27/02 at 09:15 (090734)

Docs --

Another curious thing -- for 10 days now the soles of my feet burn???? Any ideas?? Thanks -- Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/26/02 at 13:44 (090682)

Alternate heat and ice -- use both but always end with ice since it calms things down.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/02 at 15:07 (090694)

Hi

What I have found to work and make sense is to use ice for severe pain for eswt and then warm heat after twenty hours.post ESWT With foot surgery ice is important but since the trauma with ESWT doesn't include severe foot swelling ice isn't needed except for severe pain which is rare.

Mar on 7/26/02 at 20:43 (090714)

Thanks Docs for the info. I only have swelling in the heat and humidity, otherwise my feet are not swollen. But any weight bearing, walking or standing, is extremely painful, just like pre-ESWT. I like the alternating of heat and ice because then I feel like I am trying to heal things as well as trying to reduce the pain. Hopefully I will fare better with my second round of ESWT. Thanks so much for always being here to answer questions and calm fears. Mar

Mar on 7/27/02 at 09:15 (090734)

Docs --

Another curious thing -- for 10 days now the soles of my feet burn???? Any ideas?? Thanks -- Mar