Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Water aerobics

Posted by Carrie on 7/26/02 at 13:46 (090683)

Hey everyone is there any reason why we cannot do water aerobics with this foot injury? I went swimming today and just did laps but really laps get very boring after awhile. My gym has a pretty good variety of water workout classes including one for arthritis sufferers and then some others that are more intense. My concern is that even though it is in water it may require some jumping on my feet, it does not seem to hurt too much but I am leery of doing harm. Can any one here give me feedback on this type of exercise? At this point I am desperate to find a replacement from spinning and walking to keep my body in shape. I have worked very hard to be and to maintain my size 3 120 pound body and the last thing I want is to get fat or flabby after all my hard work the last few years of being a gym rat.

ALso I just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how much I can still do at the gym, in the way of weightlifting as long as I did all the exercises sitting down. I did some free wieghts for my arms and chest, and then almost all the machines are fine, they don't involve standing or using the foot. I was able to workout for an hour with the weight machines and free wieghts and then did 35 minutes of laps and man, I forgot how hard swimming can be, yet how good it makes you feel. My own problem with it is that my hair is allot of work and to do that everyday seems like too much hassle.

The water H20 classes seem better for me, since they have them 3 days a week at a time I could usually get there and they don't require that you go underwater. Again I am only concerned that I may do some damage to the foot with the hoppping in the water.

Ok sorry for my rambling post here, I guess the working out got me fired up after 9 days of doing nothing,

Please any feedback on water aerobics I would love to hear it.

Hugs
Carrie

Re: Water aerobics

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 22:57 (090719)

Water Aerobics can be done in deep water using a flotation belt. They started me in Physical Therapy many years ago. I used their belt at first then purchased my own. Done in deep water your feet never touch bottom and the better Water Aerobic shoe provides better support than the cheaper water shoe when you have to walk to and from the pool.

I use a Ryka Water Aerobic shoe which is available on the net at http://www.h2owear.com . as well as on other sites.

You can add the foot flotation weights for added resistance as well as gloves and water weights.

I still do it 3 times a week. We begin at 8:30 A.M. with a 45 minute stretch and movement class, then an hour of Water Aerobics, followed by
a half hour of a water weight class.

After that it's toooo the Hot Tub for R & R. Personally I love it and this particular program seem to work well. It's at a health club, but I'm sure you could even put your own program together in any deep water pool.

I think the Ryka Shoes are worth the money because they will provide support in shallow water and getting back and forth. The water drains out through many tiny holes. You can even use socks if you like and don't mind wet socks. Some women in my classes do.

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 23:06 (090720)

I forgot to mention that when I tried Water Aerobics in shallow water my feet didn't like the jumping so deep water is the secret although the water belt will still help a little even in shallow water.

My advice head to the deep end.

Re: Water aerobics - I have used that belt too

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 07:54 (090729)

Hi. I tried that flotation belt too, and found that I was able to get a great workout without bouncing off the bottom of the pool. It provides another fitness benefit also: in order to stay upright, you have to use your abdominal muscles and you pretend you are connected to the ceiling by a string... otherwise, you start tipping forward.

I never tried them, but saw that you can also purchase watershoes that had like webbed or maybe it was a 'fin' type toe to provide extra resistance. At the time I was trying this, we could not afford to get the weights too, so we just took one of those foam water noodles and cut it up (worked great!).

Good luck. It sounds like you're having fun already.

Val.

Re: Water aerobics - I have used that belt too - I found it online

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 08:17 (090730)

http://www.aquajogger.com/

Here is the website from one company that makes these belts. I was wrong about the watershoes... but you can see them here, and how they provide extra resistance.

Richelle on 8/05/02 at 08:03 (091605)

Hi Carrie....call around to see if anyone in your area offers a funnoodle class. I have an above ground pool and was amazed at the variety of exercises and the degrees of resistance these offer. And of course, very little expense....we already had alot of the noodles for the kids and I never dreamed of exercising with them. I did find a site with water aerobic patterns also...try searching. Good Luck.

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 22:57 (090719)

Water Aerobics can be done in deep water using a flotation belt. They started me in Physical Therapy many years ago. I used their belt at first then purchased my own. Done in deep water your feet never touch bottom and the better Water Aerobic shoe provides better support than the cheaper water shoe when you have to walk to and from the pool.

I use a Ryka Water Aerobic shoe which is available on the net at http://www.h2owear.com . as well as on other sites.

You can add the foot flotation weights for added resistance as well as gloves and water weights.

I still do it 3 times a week. We begin at 8:30 A.M. with a 45 minute stretch and movement class, then an hour of Water Aerobics, followed by
a half hour of a water weight class.

After that it's toooo the Hot Tub for R & R. Personally I love it and this particular program seem to work well. It's at a health club, but I'm sure you could even put your own program together in any deep water pool.

I think the Ryka Shoes are worth the money because they will provide support in shallow water and getting back and forth. The water drains out through many tiny holes. You can even use socks if you like and don't mind wet socks. Some women in my classes do.

Pauline on 7/26/02 at 23:06 (090720)

I forgot to mention that when I tried Water Aerobics in shallow water my feet didn't like the jumping so deep water is the secret although the water belt will still help a little even in shallow water.

My advice head to the deep end.

Re: Water aerobics - I have used that belt too

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 07:54 (090729)

Hi. I tried that flotation belt too, and found that I was able to get a great workout without bouncing off the bottom of the pool. It provides another fitness benefit also: in order to stay upright, you have to use your abdominal muscles and you pretend you are connected to the ceiling by a string... otherwise, you start tipping forward.

I never tried them, but saw that you can also purchase watershoes that had like webbed or maybe it was a 'fin' type toe to provide extra resistance. At the time I was trying this, we could not afford to get the weights too, so we just took one of those foam water noodles and cut it up (worked great!).

Good luck. It sounds like you're having fun already.

Val.

Re: Water aerobics - I have used that belt too - I found it online

Valerie S on 7/27/02 at 08:17 (090730)

http://www.aquajogger.com/

Here is the website from one company that makes these belts. I was wrong about the watershoes... but you can see them here, and how they provide extra resistance.

Richelle on 8/05/02 at 08:03 (091605)

Hi Carrie....call around to see if anyone in your area offers a funnoodle class. I have an above ground pool and was amazed at the variety of exercises and the degrees of resistance these offer. And of course, very little expense....we already had alot of the noodles for the kids and I never dreamed of exercising with them. I did find a site with water aerobic patterns also...try searching. Good Luck.