Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What can I do about my heel pain?

Posted by Barbro V on 7/26/02 at 14:36 (090689)

A few weeks ago I started experiencing pain in my ringht heel. The pain is located at the far inside part at the bottom of the heel. A few weeks before I had started a walking program with a pedometer in order to shed some pounds and feel healthier. In a matter of two weeks I increased my walking from about 12,000 steps a day to 20,000 steps a day. Quite often I would wear regular, but comfortable shoes (not sneakers). My feet were very tired at the end of the day and I had to stop walking only after 3 weeks. I try to stay off my feet altogether and I bough heel inserts for my shoes to cushion the few steps I take now. Some days the pain is worse than other days. I am a very active individual and it is hard to stay away from walking and aerobics. In addition to rest and heel inserts, what can I do? Do I have a bone spur or is it something else?

Re: What can I do about my heel pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/02 at 15:10 (090697)

You need to have early treatment by a podiatrist. The key to avoiding long costly treatment is to see a podiatrist very early in the treatment cycle. Rest and avoid alot of excercises. Swimming and biking is ok

Andrue on 7/28/02 at 10:36 (090794)

Dr. Z. has already give excellent advice but if you're going to try cycling do make sure you wear appropriate shoes - something with good firm arch support to take the strain off your arches. Proper cycling shoes actually have solid soles that don't flex at all. From what I've read anything other than sneakers or bear feet is okay for the casual cyclist.

I and at least one other member of this board probably caused their PF by cycling barefoot.

Sandra G. on 7/28/02 at 17:50 (090831)

Are nonimpact, strength-training machines at a gym (e.g. leg presses and leg lifts) o.k. to use, especially post ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/26/02 at 15:10 (090697)

You need to have early treatment by a podiatrist. The key to avoiding long costly treatment is to see a podiatrist very early in the treatment cycle. Rest and avoid alot of excercises. Swimming and biking is ok

Andrue on 7/28/02 at 10:36 (090794)

Dr. Z. has already give excellent advice but if you're going to try cycling do make sure you wear appropriate shoes - something with good firm arch support to take the strain off your arches. Proper cycling shoes actually have solid soles that don't flex at all. From what I've read anything other than sneakers or bear feet is okay for the casual cyclist.

I and at least one other member of this board probably caused their PF by cycling barefoot.

Sandra G. on 7/28/02 at 17:50 (090831)

Are nonimpact, strength-training machines at a gym (e.g. leg presses and leg lifts) o.k. to use, especially post ESWT?