Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF and Accessory Navicular Surgery

Posted by Caroline C on 7/26/02 at 15:32 (090700)

Has anyone had an endoscopic plantar faciotomy, excision of accessory navicular, and reconstruction of the Posterior tibal tendon surgery? I am facing this in a few weeks and I am concerned about the recouperation time. I understand the recovery will be long and grulling. Needless to say, I am uneasy about it all. I would like to hear how the healing and recouperation was for you. Any tips would be appreciated. To back up a minute, I have gone through all the traditional treatments and finally they found an accessory bone (in or on) the navicular bone causing my foot to be continually irrated and inflamed. It really showed up when I went into my prescription orthotics. The shots helped the first time for about six months and then nothing seemed to help after that. More shots, ice, exercises, taping, regular orthotics then custom orthotics. Over a period of time the plantar facisitis has affected my knees, (both feet are involved now), and my back. I want to come out of this pain free, after the recovery time is over and go back to my old lifestyle. Thanks
Caroline

Re: EPF and Accessory Navicular Surgery

kay on 7/29/02 at 19:17 (090936)

endoscopic plantar fasciitis surgery is pretty much a failure. i'd reconsider that move. my doctor told me that the surgeon just can see well enough for this surgery endoscopically. i had it 6 years ago and just had the open procedure 6 weeks ago. the recovery time is great with the endoscopic but if it doesn't work what's the point?
kay

Joe S on 7/29/02 at 22:14 (090953)

They just found the accessory bone? The procedure you are talking about is called a Kidner. They either truly remove the accessory bone or they remove a piece of the navicular. They then take your posterior tibial tendon detach it from the navicular and reinsert. This procedure is usually performed for people who have posterior tibial dysfunction. Personally, I don't know about both procedures at once. This is where 'getting the diagnosis right' comes into play. Are they going to cast you after the surgery?

kay on 7/29/02 at 19:17 (090936)

endoscopic plantar fasciitis surgery is pretty much a failure. i'd reconsider that move. my doctor told me that the surgeon just can see well enough for this surgery endoscopically. i had it 6 years ago and just had the open procedure 6 weeks ago. the recovery time is great with the endoscopic but if it doesn't work what's the point?
kay

Joe S on 7/29/02 at 22:14 (090953)

They just found the accessory bone? The procedure you are talking about is called a Kidner. They either truly remove the accessory bone or they remove a piece of the navicular. They then take your posterior tibial tendon detach it from the navicular and reinsert. This procedure is usually performed for people who have posterior tibial dysfunction. Personally, I don't know about both procedures at once. This is where 'getting the diagnosis right' comes into play. Are they going to cast you after the surgery?