Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthodics after Accessory Navicular Excision

Posted by Jennifer T on 7/27/02 at 00:27 (090723)

Are these usually or often necessary after the initial healing ??????

Re: Orthodics after Accessory Navicular Excision

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/27/02 at 04:46 (090724)

Hi Jennifer:

Yes they are used after the initial healing to support the arch. This aids in the healing of the tendon.

Jennifer T on 7/27/02 at 13:05 (090745)

Will they, at some point become unnecessary ????? I am concerned about all of the surgical intervention I have had realigning my patellar compartment and the effect the orthodics will make. The OS had tried me on orthodics prior to my knee surgeries and they increased the pain around my knees.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/02 at 13:26 (090750)

They should generally reduce pain in your knees. I would look very closely to make sure the orthotics were properly made.

Excison of the accessory navicular is generally coupled with advancement of the post. tibial tendon in what is termed the 'Kidner procedure.' The pull of the post. tib. tendon is strengthened so your long term need for orthotics may be reduced depending on your biomechanics. Orthotic use, in the post-op period will help healing.
Ed

Jennifer T on 7/27/02 at 17:04 (090759)

My posterior tibial tendon was 100% involved with the accessory. I have had the tendon sutured and anchored into the bone.

I have had bilateral tibial tubercle transfers. I also have bilateral acetabular dysplasia. When I had the TTTs I ended up with a strain of my accessory on the left and an avulsion fracture on the right. I get a little skittish because I know how inter-related these problems are for me. I am in my mid30s and I am in a holding pattern for TKRs.

I would have to have the orthodics replaced as my arch and foot function differently now compared to before I had the surgery on my knees (the wear patterns on my shoes are completely different). I am getting a little frustrated 8 surgeries later (in less than 4 years).

Thanks for the response.

Jennifer

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 7/27/02 at 04:46 (090724)

Hi Jennifer:

Yes they are used after the initial healing to support the arch. This aids in the healing of the tendon.

Jennifer T on 7/27/02 at 13:05 (090745)

Will they, at some point become unnecessary ????? I am concerned about all of the surgical intervention I have had realigning my patellar compartment and the effect the orthodics will make. The OS had tried me on orthodics prior to my knee surgeries and they increased the pain around my knees.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/02 at 13:26 (090750)

They should generally reduce pain in your knees. I would look very closely to make sure the orthotics were properly made.

Excison of the accessory navicular is generally coupled with advancement of the post. tibial tendon in what is termed the 'Kidner procedure.' The pull of the post. tib. tendon is strengthened so your long term need for orthotics may be reduced depending on your biomechanics. Orthotic use, in the post-op period will help healing.
Ed

Jennifer T on 7/27/02 at 17:04 (090759)

My posterior tibial tendon was 100% involved with the accessory. I have had the tendon sutured and anchored into the bone.

I have had bilateral tibial tubercle transfers. I also have bilateral acetabular dysplasia. When I had the TTTs I ended up with a strain of my accessory on the left and an avulsion fracture on the right. I get a little skittish because I know how inter-related these problems are for me. I am in my mid30s and I am in a holding pattern for TKRs.

I would have to have the orthodics replaced as my arch and foot function differently now compared to before I had the surgery on my knees (the wear patterns on my shoes are completely different). I am getting a little frustrated 8 surgeries later (in less than 4 years).

Thanks for the response.

Jennifer