Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fott is worse

Posted by margie p on 7/27/02 at 12:52 (090741)

I had tht cortisone shot 3 weeks ago. Doing everything I'm told to do by Podiatrist and woke up today with the pain worse than it has ever been. It did seem to be a little improved before today. I was not on it much yesterday and almost completely off it thurs and yesterday eve after work (desk job). The only thing I did different I can think of is tying my shoes a bit tighter for a few hours last eve but I was hardly on my feet
I'm totally disgusted!!! Sorry to be such a pest about this

Re: fott is worse

Steve P on 7/27/02 at 15:02 (090754)

Margie --- I'm at 2 years+ & I can tell you to expect day to day variation. It's normal. I think most of the others will agree. Many things, including the weather, affect the way my feet feel.

Yes, this is an exasperating business.......but hang in there & keep the big picture in mind!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/27/02 at 20:00 (090770)

Margie, how discouraged you must feel with your foot getting worse today.

It might help to do some gentle sitting down stretches before you stand up, after sitting at your desk job for a while.

Right now, the best thing is probably to put your foot on a bag of frozen peas for a while, on and off, and do some gentle stretching.

I don't think that tying your shoes tightly would make your foot worse. Steve is right, it's probably just day to day variation.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/28/02 at 19:06 (090840)

Dear Margie,

First, you are NOT a pest! :-) And, second, it almost seems to be the norm for our feet to get better, then worse, and back and forth. And sometimes we just cannot figure out a reason why it happens.

Know that we understand and care. For me, personally, when I have more pain, I try to gently stretch my calves more(while sitting, stretch out my leg straight and place my foot against something and lightly push, then alternate to other leg) and that helps me more than anything else. But that is just me and what I've learned from experience.

I hope you're feeling better today!
Suzanne :-)

margie p on 7/28/02 at 19:16 (090842)

Thanks Suzanne--good words of encouragement. Were you able to work through all this or did you have to take time from your job?

Suzanne D on 7/28/02 at 20:18 (090853)

Hi, Margie! Yes, I did work all last year. I might have done better and healed quicker had I taken time off, but for me, the reality of the situation was that I just coudn't. I did, however, try to use my head and save as many steps as possible. I explained to my first graders that my feet hurt, and I had to go to the doctor and take medicine for them (That made it seem 'real' to them!). They were very helpful in saving me steps whenever they could. I used ice on my feet while the children were in PE, music, or art. I was lucky that I teach in a small old building with wooden floors, on the first floor, with the bathroom right beside my room, the office right down the hall, and the lunchroom not far away. And my school is 1/2 mile from my home. Now we are moving to a new building 5 miles away after Christmas, bigger, with concrete and tile floors. My family and I went to the new school Friday night and walked through it. Unfortunately, my feet feel worse today than they have all summer! Coincidence, maybe, but probably not. I have permission to put any pads and carpeting down in my room that I like as long as I don't glue anything down. So I am facing some challenges this year with the new building. I love teaching and it is such a part of my life that I want to continue (I've taught 22 years so far), and I am hoping my feet cooperate!

I hope you find improvement soon!

margie p on 7/29/02 at 11:40 (090897)

Thanks Suzanne
Not working is not a reality for me either. Too many bills to pay. At my one site, I am across the campus from the main office in a trailor--not good that will be a challenge. The other days I am in a central office and in and out to meetings--that should not be too bad. This weekend with my foot being worse has really brought me down. Spent most of the days on the couch--not fellings emotionally up to anything. I guess tha't fgood for my foot. Hope to break out of this gray funk soon
margie

Re: Hi Margie

Necee on 7/31/02 at 00:41 (091076)

I hope that your feeling better, I understand how you feel, we all get so tired and frustrated, all we want is to be able to function daily, but when our feet flare up, its impossible.

You have us here as your support group, so just keep in contact. When we shut ourselves out from everything and everyone thats when its the worst. We all need support, especially when there are so many people who don't understand our aches and pains. People think that foot pain is no big deal....well, they should have to spend one day in our shoes!!

Continue to ask questions, and seek advice, knowledge is your best defense against PF.

Happy trails......

Necee

Steve P on 7/27/02 at 15:02 (090754)

Margie --- I'm at 2 years+ & I can tell you to expect day to day variation. It's normal. I think most of the others will agree. Many things, including the weather, affect the way my feet feel.

Yes, this is an exasperating business.......but hang in there & keep the big picture in mind!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/27/02 at 20:00 (090770)

Margie, how discouraged you must feel with your foot getting worse today.

It might help to do some gentle sitting down stretches before you stand up, after sitting at your desk job for a while.

Right now, the best thing is probably to put your foot on a bag of frozen peas for a while, on and off, and do some gentle stretching.

I don't think that tying your shoes tightly would make your foot worse. Steve is right, it's probably just day to day variation.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 7/28/02 at 19:06 (090840)

Dear Margie,

First, you are NOT a pest! :-) And, second, it almost seems to be the norm for our feet to get better, then worse, and back and forth. And sometimes we just cannot figure out a reason why it happens.

Know that we understand and care. For me, personally, when I have more pain, I try to gently stretch my calves more(while sitting, stretch out my leg straight and place my foot against something and lightly push, then alternate to other leg) and that helps me more than anything else. But that is just me and what I've learned from experience.

I hope you're feeling better today!

margie p on 7/28/02 at 19:16 (090842)

Thanks Suzanne--good words of encouragement. Were you able to work through all this or did you have to take time from your job?

Suzanne D on 7/28/02 at 20:18 (090853)

Hi, Margie! Yes, I did work all last year. I might have done better and healed quicker had I taken time off, but for me, the reality of the situation was that I just coudn't. I did, however, try to use my head and save as many steps as possible. I explained to my first graders that my feet hurt, and I had to go to the doctor and take medicine for them (That made it seem 'real' to them!). They were very helpful in saving me steps whenever they could. I used ice on my feet while the children were in PE, music, or art. I was lucky that I teach in a small old building with wooden floors, on the first floor, with the bathroom right beside my room, the office right down the hall, and the lunchroom not far away. And my school is 1/2 mile from my home. Now we are moving to a new building 5 miles away after Christmas, bigger, with concrete and tile floors. My family and I went to the new school Friday night and walked through it. Unfortunately, my feet feel worse today than they have all summer! Coincidence, maybe, but probably not. I have permission to put any pads and carpeting down in my room that I like as long as I don't glue anything down. So I am facing some challenges this year with the new building. I love teaching and it is such a part of my life that I want to continue (I've taught 22 years so far), and I am hoping my feet cooperate!

I hope you find improvement soon!

margie p on 7/29/02 at 11:40 (090897)

Thanks Suzanne
Not working is not a reality for me either. Too many bills to pay. At my one site, I am across the campus from the main office in a trailor--not good that will be a challenge. The other days I am in a central office and in and out to meetings--that should not be too bad. This weekend with my foot being worse has really brought me down. Spent most of the days on the couch--not fellings emotionally up to anything. I guess tha't fgood for my foot. Hope to break out of this gray funk soon
margie

Re: Hi Margie

Necee on 7/31/02 at 00:41 (091076)

I hope that your feeling better, I understand how you feel, we all get so tired and frustrated, all we want is to be able to function daily, but when our feet flare up, its impossible.

You have us here as your support group, so just keep in contact. When we shut ourselves out from everything and everyone thats when its the worst. We all need support, especially when there are so many people who don't understand our aches and pains. People think that foot pain is no big deal....well, they should have to spend one day in our shoes!!

Continue to ask questions, and seek advice, knowledge is your best defense against PF.

Happy trails......

Necee