Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO

Posted by Edna I on 7/27/02 at 13:09 (090746)

Has anyone used DMSO? With what results? I have been in pain for 6 months and will try anything at this stage!!

Re: DMSO

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:05 (090885)

There have been people post on DMSO but I do not recall anyone saying it helped.

BrianG on 7/29/02 at 17:58 (090931)

Hi Edna,

I used the DMSO, with 'other' medications, hoping the DMSO would help to draw the ingredients into my system. It has never helped me, and I've used it for months at a time. I think it's worth a try though. Good luck.

BrianG

PS Have you tried taping, ice, rest?

Edna I on 7/30/02 at 14:46 (091011)

I have reached the desperation stage!!! I had knee surgery about 5 weeks ago (torn cartlidge). My knee will not heal because of my heelspur and walking so funny. I have tried stretching, ice, soaking in epson salt, inserts, birkenstocks, taping, DMSO, Celebrex, Vioxx, Naprosyn. I am now trying plain ole aspirin. I have ordered a new night splint because the one I borrowed would not stay on my foot. It hasn't come it yet. It is guaranteed for 120 days, so I can sent it back if it doesn't work. The Birkenstocks seem to work better than athletic shoes if I put a cushion in the heel...it hurts otherwise. I went to physical therapy and got worse. They did deep massage about 2 weeks ago, and I am still not walking as well as I did before physical therapy. Needless to say, I stopped go to PT. Any advise or suggestions. I have had to quit playing tennis and seem to be gaining a pound a week from lack of exercise. All help appreciated!!!

Pauline on 7/30/02 at 19:50 (091043)

First of all I'm surprised the doctor went through with the knee surgery when you had P.F. going on. I needed surgery of another type and my surgeon wouldn't do it until the P.F. was gone. I have not had it yet, but it's planned for the fall.

If the Birks help with a heel pad, I would certainly continue in that direction. The folks that can wear Birks seem to experience relief and recovery with time.

I'd suggest you read Scott's book if you haven't yet because it's filled with many other suggestions that you can also try in addition to wearing the Birks.

Avoid another surgery for your P.F. like the plague. Try ESWT first.

Unfortunately there is no fast cure for P.F. but ESWT gives you the best shot at shortening the time. Make rest and patience your best friend and think about trying ESWT. There are many centers which Scott lists on this site. Canada seems to offer the best rates because most insurance companies are not picking up the bills yet.

Check out the list of sites and think about it.

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:05 (090885)

There have been people post on DMSO but I do not recall anyone saying it helped.

BrianG on 7/29/02 at 17:58 (090931)

Hi Edna,

I used the DMSO, with 'other' medications, hoping the DMSO would help to draw the ingredients into my system. It has never helped me, and I've used it for months at a time. I think it's worth a try though. Good luck.

BrianG

PS Have you tried taping, ice, rest?

Edna I on 7/30/02 at 14:46 (091011)

I have reached the desperation stage!!! I had knee surgery about 5 weeks ago (torn cartlidge). My knee will not heal because of my heelspur and walking so funny. I have tried stretching, ice, soaking in epson salt, inserts, birkenstocks, taping, DMSO, Celebrex, Vioxx, Naprosyn. I am now trying plain ole aspirin. I have ordered a new night splint because the one I borrowed would not stay on my foot. It hasn't come it yet. It is guaranteed for 120 days, so I can sent it back if it doesn't work. The Birkenstocks seem to work better than athletic shoes if I put a cushion in the heel...it hurts otherwise. I went to physical therapy and got worse. They did deep massage about 2 weeks ago, and I am still not walking as well as I did before physical therapy. Needless to say, I stopped go to PT. Any advise or suggestions. I have had to quit playing tennis and seem to be gaining a pound a week from lack of exercise. All help appreciated!!!

Pauline on 7/30/02 at 19:50 (091043)

First of all I'm surprised the doctor went through with the knee surgery when you had P.F. going on. I needed surgery of another type and my surgeon wouldn't do it until the P.F. was gone. I have not had it yet, but it's planned for the fall.

If the Birks help with a heel pad, I would certainly continue in that direction. The folks that can wear Birks seem to experience relief and recovery with time.

I'd suggest you read Scott's book if you haven't yet because it's filled with many other suggestions that you can also try in addition to wearing the Birks.

Avoid another surgery for your P.F. like the plague. Try ESWT first.

Unfortunately there is no fast cure for P.F. but ESWT gives you the best shot at shortening the time. Make rest and patience your best friend and think about trying ESWT. There are many centers which Scott lists on this site. Canada seems to offer the best rates because most insurance companies are not picking up the bills yet.

Check out the list of sites and think about it.