Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

back of heel bone spurs

Posted by Betty G. on 7/27/02 at 14:55 (090753)

Xrays have shown needle-like bone spurs on my left heel. I was told that is where connections from the tendon have calcxified. Surgery was not recommended. I am 70 years old and up till now I have been very active. Would treatment with the Ossatron help this condition? I am otherwise in good health, except for being overweight, most of which is due to the fact that walking is very difficult. Vioxx seems to help, but I can't take it all the time as it causes my feet to swell. I cannot take other NSAIDS as I have Barret's Esophagus, probably from years of taking Motrin.

Re: back of heel bone spurs

Mar on 7/27/02 at 19:53 (090767)

I am wondering what 'Barret's Esophagus' is. You say you got it from years of motrin. I took Vioxx for a month and burned my esophagus. Mar

Betty G. on 7/28/02 at 17:27 (090829)

Barret's Esophagus is caused by GERD(gastroesophagial reflux disorder) and it denotes a change in the lining of the esophagus which can then be more susceptible to cancer of the esophagus. When the sphincter at the juncture of the esophagus and the stomach becomes eroded from stomach acid, and/or medications, it allows stomach acid to get into the esophagus and causes the changes in the lining. I had an esophageal endoscopy several years ago, and my doctor said my esphagus was in stage 3, the stage before it turns cancerous.

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:29 (090855)

Wow - how awful. Do you think it is a good idea to take the Vioxx? I know when I took the Vioxx, I felt very good all over except when I started to have difficulty swallowing because of the burned esophagus. But I am very prone to side-effects with almost all medication, so perhaps it was a fluke with me. Good luck with both the feet and the esophagus. Mar

Betty G. on 7/29/02 at 14:30 (090910)

I am able to take vioxx, 12.5 mg. occassionally and it hasn't bothered my stomach. However, you should speak with your doctor before you continue to take it. My orthopedist gave me some samples of Celebrex to try as the Vioxx makes my feet and ankles swell. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I'm not sure if it is as helpful as Vioxx. Wish I could find some Dolgit Cream. It is an arthritic rub with ibuprofen in it, and seemed to give me great relief.

Re: have web searcher, will find

elliott on 7/29/02 at 14:52 (090913)

Two mail order sites for Dolgit cream that came up are below:

http://www.tenniselbow.net/Treat_creams.htm

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lifeextensionvitamins/ibcream.html

Looks like the cream has been changed to gel.

--

monte on 7/29/02 at 15:29 (090918)

these two places do not have it...i tried last week. manufacture is not shipping it....not sure why. You can try again.

Pauline on 7/29/02 at 16:54 (090920)

My husband just purchased some in Vienna for 9.00 Euros a tube. Quite a difference in price. Great for sore muscles anywhere. Just a nice product to keep in the house.

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:12 (090945)

Have you tried BEXTRA? It works great for me. I can't take Vioxx because me feet swell and I can't take Celebrex, because of bad side effects. I love the Bextra, and you only have to take it once a day, with no side effects for me.

Betty G. on 8/01/02 at 12:12 (091274)

Thanks for the info about Bextra. Is it about the same price as Vioxx and Celebrex?

paula on 8/01/02 at 12:27 (091275)

Bextra is a derivitive of celebrex, so I can't imagine it costing more. Im on workers comp so I don't have to pay for it.Good luck

Mar on 7/27/02 at 19:53 (090767)

I am wondering what 'Barret's Esophagus' is. You say you got it from years of motrin. I took Vioxx for a month and burned my esophagus. Mar

Betty G. on 7/28/02 at 17:27 (090829)

Barret's Esophagus is caused by GERD(gastroesophagial reflux disorder) and it denotes a change in the lining of the esophagus which can then be more susceptible to cancer of the esophagus. When the sphincter at the juncture of the esophagus and the stomach becomes eroded from stomach acid, and/or medications, it allows stomach acid to get into the esophagus and causes the changes in the lining. I had an esophageal endoscopy several years ago, and my doctor said my esphagus was in stage 3, the stage before it turns cancerous.

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:29 (090855)

Wow - how awful. Do you think it is a good idea to take the Vioxx? I know when I took the Vioxx, I felt very good all over except when I started to have difficulty swallowing because of the burned esophagus. But I am very prone to side-effects with almost all medication, so perhaps it was a fluke with me. Good luck with both the feet and the esophagus. Mar

Betty G. on 7/29/02 at 14:30 (090910)

I am able to take vioxx, 12.5 mg. occassionally and it hasn't bothered my stomach. However, you should speak with your doctor before you continue to take it. My orthopedist gave me some samples of Celebrex to try as the Vioxx makes my feet and ankles swell. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I'm not sure if it is as helpful as Vioxx. Wish I could find some Dolgit Cream. It is an arthritic rub with ibuprofen in it, and seemed to give me great relief.

elliott on 7/29/02 at 14:52 (090913)

Two mail order sites for Dolgit cream that came up are below:

http://www.tenniselbow.net/Treat_creams.htm

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lifeextensionvitamins/ibcream.html

Looks like the cream has been changed to gel.

--

monte on 7/29/02 at 15:29 (090918)

these two places do not have it...i tried last week. manufacture is not shipping it....not sure why. You can try again.

Pauline on 7/29/02 at 16:54 (090920)

My husband just purchased some in Vienna for 9.00 Euros a tube. Quite a difference in price. Great for sore muscles anywhere. Just a nice product to keep in the house.

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:12 (090945)

Have you tried BEXTRA? It works great for me. I can't take Vioxx because me feet swell and I can't take Celebrex, because of bad side effects. I love the Bextra, and you only have to take it once a day, with no side effects for me.

Betty G. on 8/01/02 at 12:12 (091274)

Thanks for the info about Bextra. Is it about the same price as Vioxx and Celebrex?

paula on 8/01/02 at 12:27 (091275)

Bextra is a derivitive of celebrex, so I can't imagine it costing more. Im on workers comp so I don't have to pay for it.Good luck