Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NEED INFO ON POST-SURGERY..............

Posted by cindy e. on 7/27/02 at 21:29 (090771)

JUST NEEDING SOME INFO ON POST-OP ENDOSCOPIC PLANTAR RELEASE. I'M SCHEDULED TO HAVE SURGERY ON AUG 23 AFTER HAVING TRIED EVERYTHING INCLUDING OSSATRON. UNFORTUNATLY, I AM ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT ALL OTHER TREATMENTS FAILED ON. I FINALLY FOUND A LOCAL DOCTOR WHO DOES THE ENDOSCOPIC PLANTAR RELEASE AND HAS ALMOST A 100% SUCCESS RATE. AND MY INSURANCE WILL COVER IT! WHAT I'M NEEDING TO KNOW IS IF I SHOULD BE KEEPING OFF MY FEET UNTIL SURGERY. I'VE ALSO DEVELOPED SOME TARSAL TUNNEL(?) DUE TO POSSIBLY WAITING TOO LONG TO GET THIS FIXED.? 21/2 YEARS IS TOO LONG TO SUFFER. I'M LIVING ON PAIN PILLS AND HAVE REALY BEEN HAVING TROUBLE RUNNING A BUSINESS. I'M PRAYING THIS WILL WORK. THE OTHER FOOT WILL BE DONE AT A LATER DATE DEPENDING ON HOW THIS ONE GOES. ANYONE ELSE IN SPRINGFIELD, MO HAVE THIS DONE BY DOCTOR MCSHANE? PLEASE E-MAIL ME! THANKS.................CINDY

Re: NEED INFO ON POST-SURGERY..............

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 21:34 (090772)

Rest and staying off your feet is a very good idea. Hey how about doing a second ESWT ossatron treatment before you try the EPF. The ossatron people usually will give you a second treatment if the first one fails. Anyway rest the foot because everytime you walk on the feet you risk further damage to other areas of your foot and body

cindy e. on 7/27/02 at 21:53 (090774)

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I HAVE TALKED TO THE DOC WHO DID MY OSSATRON TREATMENT AND HE DOESN'T THINK A 2ND TREATMENT WILL WORK EITHER.!!! AND HE'S HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH THE OSATRON. HE SAID MINE WAS VERY BAD AND DAMAGE WAS CONSIDERABLE. I HAVE REACHED THE END OF MY ROPE! I GET VER DEPRESSED WHEN I THINK ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET AROUND AT 40 YEARS OLD! I STILL FEEL 21! BUT WITH THE FEET OF AN 90 YEAR OLD! I HOPE THAT EVERYHTING WILL GO WELL. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

Pauline on 7/27/02 at 22:01 (090775)

Cindy,
Good luck with your planned new surgery, but to be honest a Doc who boast
100% success rate with any surgery I'd really wonder about.

Sounds like God to me. Hope he's out there teaching all the doc's who have poorer success or missed out on a residency program. They need him.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 22:53 (090779)

If you speak with healthronics they will tell you that a second treatment will work when a first failed. Once the fascia is cut it is cut and that is it.

Jennifer N. on 7/28/02 at 00:00 (090783)

I am 2 weeks post EPF release. I had been living with PF for over a year. Had tried everything. It has been a lifesaver. I have had less pain since surgery than before. I never believed this would feel so good. I have not had to take any pain relievers in the last week. Even the day after surgery did not feel the need for the pain relievers (advil) but took them to minimize swelling.

I would recommend this surgery to anyone who has suffered with PF for an extended period and conventional things did not work.

Good luck with surgery!

cindy e. on 7/28/02 at 10:53 (090796)

THANK YOU JENNIFER N. FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!! I REALLY HAVE TRIED ALL OTHER OPTIONS AND I'M MISERABLE WITH THIS! THIS DOC TOLD ME THERE ARE 5 AND ONLY 5 THINGS THAT REALLY CAN HELP WITH P.F.:ORTHOTICS,MEDS,CORTISONE SHOTS,OSSATRON THEN ONLY THEN DOES HE RECOMMEND SURGERY. THIS GUYS DONE 100,S IF NOT OVER 1000+ PF RELEASES AND HE SAID HE TAKES HIS TIME AND DOES IT AS IF ITS HIS OWN FOOT. HE'S ALSO VERY MUCH A STICKLER FOR POST-0P DIRECTIONS. I'VE TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE WO'VE HAD HIM AND THEY WERE VERY SATISFIED. IT ONLY TOOK ME 2 YEARS AND A TON OFPHONE CALLS AND FOOTWORK(HA) TO FIND THIS GUY. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.!!! CINDY

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/28/02 at 11:43 (090800)

Good luck. I have have done hundreds of pf releases in twenty years. There is going to be that one or two that will be worse off even with the care that one take with the procedure. It is the procedure that can cause the problem not the doctor as we all think. When the fascia is cut it must heal back and sometimes it doesn't do that . It is rare but it can happen. I had it happen twice in twenty two years and the result was pain pain pain that I could get rid of or. You know my opinion do the second ossatron treatment and go for the pf release.

elliott on 7/28/02 at 16:35 (090824)

Is this generally true (that a second ESWT treatment is likely to be beneficial) even when the first showed no improvement at all?

---

Re: is it never the doctor's fault? (nm)

elliott on 7/28/02 at 17:04 (090826)

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 19:14 (090841)

Elliott,
I've been following a few entries of post surgical patients. Many post early on with great reports and then the postings that come later seem to go down hill.

Since the postings are sporadic it's difficult for readers to remember each surgical patient's post unless they have made a concentrated effort to following them.

I think it would make a good report to be posted at a later date.

Brian V. on 7/29/02 at 01:11 (090876)

Be VERY careful w/ this.....I had and EPF on the same day last year you are scheduled...with a doctor who claimed success rates near 100%...who had done 100's before.....and I am NO BETTER than I was before. Not necessarily worse, but NO better. I am strongly considering a 2nd ESWT tx at this point as I am out of options. Your story sounded too deja vu like for me not to respond. Don't put all your apples in one basket on the EPF. I wish you nothing but the best of luck w/ the surgery but would encourage you also to think about a 2nd ESWT tx first since the EPF is permanent!!

Good luck in whatever you decide,
Brian V.

Maureen R on 7/29/02 at 10:46 (090896)

Cindy, I think I might have already E'ed you, but I can't recommend EPF at all. I suffered with PF more than 10 yrs; got steadily worse. Thought I couln't take it anymore. If I had one day to live over.... I am so many times worse. I am truly handicapped now due to EPF on right foot. Had car fixed so I can drive with my left foot because of all the pain. Think I had nerve damage. Doc didn't care at all. Once I wasn't responding he dropped me bigtime. Have never heard a word from him; my life is truly ruined. I am obviously an extreme case, but try anything else many times before they cut you. I am seriously considering EWST to try to heal leisons or whatever may be there. I know it won't help nerve damage & I can't do an MRI because of aneurysm clip, so it will be flying blind, but want to try anything I can. but enuf about me; please try anything else.

john h on 7/29/02 at 17:33 (090926)

Pauline: I would think you would need to look a couple of years down the road to know whether surgery is a success or not. Many problems resulting from surgery occur sometime after surgery. You have lost a lot of your arch support.

Re: The EPF King !

BrianG on 7/29/02 at 22:20 (090954)

Hi Cindy,

I've never heard of any doctor performing over a 1,000 EPF's. This person must be quite famoues, no? Is it Dr. Barrett, who first performed the orignal EPF's? If not, would you mind telling us who it is? Thanks in advance.

BrianG, another failed EPF patient :*(

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 00:19 (091074)

Actually, it may not be true. Sometimes, even when the doctor 'cuts the fascia, he's not cutting the fascia. Irregardless of technique, it is still a blind procedure. It's all by feel. You clamp onto the fascia and cut. It makes this celery crunching sound as you cut it. If you don't hear it then you're not cutting it. You can also feel it being relxing as you transect it. Another reason for failure = not cutting the fascia.

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 00:21 (091075)

Sometime's it could be if he or she didn't actually cut the fascia. It happens probably more than you think.

john h on 7/31/02 at 10:08 (091131)

Joe: Dr. Zuckerman has always told me the fascia is cut by 'feel'. I have this feeling that many doctors the patients first see when they have a PF problem is a family practioner. I would guess many of these Doctors are not aware of the pain the patients are in or even how chronic the condition can become. By the time the patient shows up in a Poditrist or Ortho office he/she has let a lot of valuable time pass not receiving the proper treatment.

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 12:53 (091149)

You are correct. Alot of the GP's and FP's are treating more and more foot pain. There are a couple here in town that are even doing carpal tunnel releases in their offices...get that.

john h on 7/31/02 at 16:07 (091177)

TTS Release in the office! Ouch! I would like to see the followup on these folks about a year after surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 21:34 (090772)

Rest and staying off your feet is a very good idea. Hey how about doing a second ESWT ossatron treatment before you try the EPF. The ossatron people usually will give you a second treatment if the first one fails. Anyway rest the foot because everytime you walk on the feet you risk further damage to other areas of your foot and body

cindy e. on 7/27/02 at 21:53 (090774)

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I HAVE TALKED TO THE DOC WHO DID MY OSSATRON TREATMENT AND HE DOESN'T THINK A 2ND TREATMENT WILL WORK EITHER.!!! AND HE'S HAD GOOD SUCCESS WITH THE OSATRON. HE SAID MINE WAS VERY BAD AND DAMAGE WAS CONSIDERABLE. I HAVE REACHED THE END OF MY ROPE! I GET VER DEPRESSED WHEN I THINK ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET AROUND AT 40 YEARS OLD! I STILL FEEL 21! BUT WITH THE FEET OF AN 90 YEAR OLD! I HOPE THAT EVERYHTING WILL GO WELL. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

Pauline on 7/27/02 at 22:01 (090775)

Cindy,
Good luck with your planned new surgery, but to be honest a Doc who boast
100% success rate with any surgery I'd really wonder about.

Sounds like God to me. Hope he's out there teaching all the doc's who have poorer success or missed out on a residency program. They need him.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 22:53 (090779)

If you speak with healthronics they will tell you that a second treatment will work when a first failed. Once the fascia is cut it is cut and that is it.

Jennifer N. on 7/28/02 at 00:00 (090783)

I am 2 weeks post EPF release. I had been living with PF for over a year. Had tried everything. It has been a lifesaver. I have had less pain since surgery than before. I never believed this would feel so good. I have not had to take any pain relievers in the last week. Even the day after surgery did not feel the need for the pain relievers (advil) but took them to minimize swelling.

I would recommend this surgery to anyone who has suffered with PF for an extended period and conventional things did not work.

Good luck with surgery!

cindy e. on 7/28/02 at 10:53 (090796)

THANK YOU JENNIFER N. FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!! I REALLY HAVE TRIED ALL OTHER OPTIONS AND I'M MISERABLE WITH THIS! THIS DOC TOLD ME THERE ARE 5 AND ONLY 5 THINGS THAT REALLY CAN HELP WITH P.F.:ORTHOTICS,MEDS,CORTISONE SHOTS,OSSATRON THEN ONLY THEN DOES HE RECOMMEND SURGERY. THIS GUYS DONE 100,S IF NOT OVER 1000+ PF RELEASES AND HE SAID HE TAKES HIS TIME AND DOES IT AS IF ITS HIS OWN FOOT. HE'S ALSO VERY MUCH A STICKLER FOR POST-0P DIRECTIONS. I'VE TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE WO'VE HAD HIM AND THEY WERE VERY SATISFIED. IT ONLY TOOK ME 2 YEARS AND A TON OFPHONE CALLS AND FOOTWORK(HA) TO FIND THIS GUY. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.!!! CINDY

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/28/02 at 11:43 (090800)

Good luck. I have have done hundreds of pf releases in twenty years. There is going to be that one or two that will be worse off even with the care that one take with the procedure. It is the procedure that can cause the problem not the doctor as we all think. When the fascia is cut it must heal back and sometimes it doesn't do that . It is rare but it can happen. I had it happen twice in twenty two years and the result was pain pain pain that I could get rid of or. You know my opinion do the second ossatron treatment and go for the pf release.

elliott on 7/28/02 at 16:35 (090824)

Is this generally true (that a second ESWT treatment is likely to be beneficial) even when the first showed no improvement at all?

---

elliott on 7/28/02 at 17:04 (090826)

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 19:14 (090841)

Elliott,
I've been following a few entries of post surgical patients. Many post early on with great reports and then the postings that come later seem to go down hill.

Since the postings are sporadic it's difficult for readers to remember each surgical patient's post unless they have made a concentrated effort to following them.

I think it would make a good report to be posted at a later date.

Brian V. on 7/29/02 at 01:11 (090876)

Be VERY careful w/ this.....I had and EPF on the same day last year you are scheduled...with a doctor who claimed success rates near 100%...who had done 100's before.....and I am NO BETTER than I was before. Not necessarily worse, but NO better. I am strongly considering a 2nd ESWT tx at this point as I am out of options. Your story sounded too deja vu like for me not to respond. Don't put all your apples in one basket on the EPF. I wish you nothing but the best of luck w/ the surgery but would encourage you also to think about a 2nd ESWT tx first since the EPF is permanent!!

Good luck in whatever you decide,
Brian V.

Maureen R on 7/29/02 at 10:46 (090896)

Cindy, I think I might have already E'ed you, but I can't recommend EPF at all. I suffered with PF more than 10 yrs; got steadily worse. Thought I couln't take it anymore. If I had one day to live over.... I am so many times worse. I am truly handicapped now due to EPF on right foot. Had car fixed so I can drive with my left foot because of all the pain. Think I had nerve damage. Doc didn't care at all. Once I wasn't responding he dropped me bigtime. Have never heard a word from him; my life is truly ruined. I am obviously an extreme case, but try anything else many times before they cut you. I am seriously considering EWST to try to heal leisons or whatever may be there. I know it won't help nerve damage & I can't do an MRI because of aneurysm clip, so it will be flying blind, but want to try anything I can. but enuf about me; please try anything else.

john h on 7/29/02 at 17:33 (090926)

Pauline: I would think you would need to look a couple of years down the road to know whether surgery is a success or not. Many problems resulting from surgery occur sometime after surgery. You have lost a lot of your arch support.

Re: The EPF King !

BrianG on 7/29/02 at 22:20 (090954)

Hi Cindy,

I've never heard of any doctor performing over a 1,000 EPF's. This person must be quite famoues, no? Is it Dr. Barrett, who first performed the orignal EPF's? If not, would you mind telling us who it is? Thanks in advance.

BrianG, another failed EPF patient :*(

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 00:19 (091074)

Actually, it may not be true. Sometimes, even when the doctor 'cuts the fascia, he's not cutting the fascia. Irregardless of technique, it is still a blind procedure. It's all by feel. You clamp onto the fascia and cut. It makes this celery crunching sound as you cut it. If you don't hear it then you're not cutting it. You can also feel it being relxing as you transect it. Another reason for failure = not cutting the fascia.

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 00:21 (091075)

Sometime's it could be if he or she didn't actually cut the fascia. It happens probably more than you think.

john h on 7/31/02 at 10:08 (091131)

Joe: Dr. Zuckerman has always told me the fascia is cut by 'feel'. I have this feeling that many doctors the patients first see when they have a PF problem is a family practioner. I would guess many of these Doctors are not aware of the pain the patients are in or even how chronic the condition can become. By the time the patient shows up in a Poditrist or Ortho office he/she has let a lot of valuable time pass not receiving the proper treatment.

Joe S on 7/31/02 at 12:53 (091149)

You are correct. Alot of the GP's and FP's are treating more and more foot pain. There are a couple here in town that are even doing carpal tunnel releases in their offices...get that.

john h on 7/31/02 at 16:07 (091177)

TTS Release in the office! Ouch! I would like to see the followup on these folks about a year after surgery.