Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What happened to the Thomas Heel for P.F.

Posted by Pauline on 7/27/02 at 22:24 (090778)

Direct from the medical books what happened to the simple 'Old Thomas Heel?

Thomas Heel:
- medial heel wedge tilts the heel into varus and may be helpful in treatment of symptomatic pes planus and plantar fascitis;
-

Re: What happened to the Thomas Heel for P.F.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 22:56 (090780)

It is combined into an orthosis which in addition will control subtalar joint pronation

paula on 7/28/02 at 11:04 (090797)

pauline, i'm the person who has been desperately seeking foam with adhesive. after reading your message i wadded up a piece of paper towel, stuck it on medial side of heel, wrapped an ace bandage around it and i'll be danged if it aint helping me. thanks for your message. this is after thousands of dollars ive paid for useless orthotics. dr ed recently told me where to get the podiatrist foam so i'll order it monday and have a less crude device! i would love a real orthosis from an orthotist who actualy took the time and listened and kept adjusting it till he got it right but i never lucked out on such a person and now i don't feel i ever will. paper towel works better than any of my devices so far. it would sure be nice if i could just buy a thomas heel and apply it to my shoe.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/02 at 11:30 (090798)

It does sound like it would help to have some lift on the medial side of the heel only. I wonder if it would help in the long term too.

It might be enough to keep my heel from twisting inwards like it does at one point in my gait. None of my shoes (Birkenstock, SAS, NB) are built like this. Whatever lifts or bumps they have is way too far forward, and I have thought that to be the case from the very beginning.

My custom orthotic corrects that problem with my gait. It doesn't seem to have much of a bump on the medial side of the heel, but it cradles my foot in an overall position that helps me to 'walk straight'. Now if I would only wear it like I should..... LOL

Carole C

paula on 7/28/02 at 11:38 (090799)

this lack of pain is sort of blowing my mind. do i have to create my own orthoisis? two years of agony. the paper towel keeps slipping and i keep shoving it back into place. but i am not complaining. i am stunned at some success here. had a bit of success the other day when i stuck my little bit of faom i had left under medial forefoot. for no other reason than i had tried every other conceivable spot on my foot and had read one study about this spot. the nice thing about the adhesive foam is it is so soft and forgivng if i hit the wrong spot. once i started having a little success i can't stop . gotta keep trying foam here and there.

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 13:26 (090807)

Paula,
I too have spent hundreds of dollars on orthotics from hard ice scrapers to what they call 'soft' orthotics. They all sit nicely in a brown paper bag marked P.F. trials and errors. I labeled it so when I die people will know what all this junk is.

As Dr. Z said there have never been any double blind studies done for orthotics. Personally, I think they have become a convenient trial answer for many foot problems. Sort of, try this orthotic and lets see if it helps. When it doesn't, somehow it's usually the patients fault and your left with a $200+ piece of plastic. At aprox $250 or more a pair thats a costly 'trial & error' product.

With all the talk about Dr. Kiper the one thing you can say is that he does provide a trial period and gives your money back if his orthotics don't work. That says something about the man and his product. As you and I and many others can testify we've never seen a dime returned for a product that someone 'thinks' will work. One thing to keep in mind though is the cost paid for the 'foam imprint box', used by Dr. Kiper is never returned.

If you check the cost of purchasing these boxes and think about it even if Dr. Kiper has to return the money for the orthotics, he still makes about $36 per imprint sent to him. That's not a bad return on a cheap foam box.
He purchases them like other doctors in huge amounts, gets a discount and makes about $36 per failure.

My advice is to keep trying your own line of orthotic until something better comes along.

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:08 (090886)

Pauline: I have spent approximately $1600 on custom orthotics; rigid, semi-rigid, and soft. Additionally I have probablay spent $400 on many many pairs of over the counter orthotics. Birks still work better than any of them.

Nancy N on 7/30/02 at 09:28 (090982)

You know, I had to wear Thomas heels when I was a kid, for a while. My parents went out and bought me special shoes. Then one day we went back to the doctor (this was a regular family doc) and he said I didn't need them anymore. I've always wondered if that was some sort of precursor sign to PF, especially since my dad told me once when I was in high school that I was 'still' rolling my left foot. He said that's why I had the special shoes when I was about 4 or 5. I do still overpronate somewhat with that foot. Hmmmm.....

Re: Thomas heel

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:51 (092212)

It really was not very effective.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/02 at 22:56 (090780)

It is combined into an orthosis which in addition will control subtalar joint pronation

paula on 7/28/02 at 11:04 (090797)

pauline, i'm the person who has been desperately seeking foam with adhesive. after reading your message i wadded up a piece of paper towel, stuck it on medial side of heel, wrapped an ace bandage around it and i'll be danged if it aint helping me. thanks for your message. this is after thousands of dollars ive paid for useless orthotics. dr ed recently told me where to get the podiatrist foam so i'll order it monday and have a less crude device! i would love a real orthosis from an orthotist who actualy took the time and listened and kept adjusting it till he got it right but i never lucked out on such a person and now i don't feel i ever will. paper towel works better than any of my devices so far. it would sure be nice if i could just buy a thomas heel and apply it to my shoe.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/28/02 at 11:30 (090798)

It does sound like it would help to have some lift on the medial side of the heel only. I wonder if it would help in the long term too.

It might be enough to keep my heel from twisting inwards like it does at one point in my gait. None of my shoes (Birkenstock, SAS, NB) are built like this. Whatever lifts or bumps they have is way too far forward, and I have thought that to be the case from the very beginning.

My custom orthotic corrects that problem with my gait. It doesn't seem to have much of a bump on the medial side of the heel, but it cradles my foot in an overall position that helps me to 'walk straight'. Now if I would only wear it like I should..... LOL

Carole C

paula on 7/28/02 at 11:38 (090799)

this lack of pain is sort of blowing my mind. do i have to create my own orthoisis? two years of agony. the paper towel keeps slipping and i keep shoving it back into place. but i am not complaining. i am stunned at some success here. had a bit of success the other day when i stuck my little bit of faom i had left under medial forefoot. for no other reason than i had tried every other conceivable spot on my foot and had read one study about this spot. the nice thing about the adhesive foam is it is so soft and forgivng if i hit the wrong spot. once i started having a little success i can't stop . gotta keep trying foam here and there.

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 13:26 (090807)

Paula,
I too have spent hundreds of dollars on orthotics from hard ice scrapers to what they call 'soft' orthotics. They all sit nicely in a brown paper bag marked P.F. trials and errors. I labeled it so when I die people will know what all this junk is.

As Dr. Z said there have never been any double blind studies done for orthotics. Personally, I think they have become a convenient trial answer for many foot problems. Sort of, try this orthotic and lets see if it helps. When it doesn't, somehow it's usually the patients fault and your left with a $200+ piece of plastic. At aprox $250 or more a pair thats a costly 'trial & error' product.

With all the talk about Dr. Kiper the one thing you can say is that he does provide a trial period and gives your money back if his orthotics don't work. That says something about the man and his product. As you and I and many others can testify we've never seen a dime returned for a product that someone 'thinks' will work. One thing to keep in mind though is the cost paid for the 'foam imprint box', used by Dr. Kiper is never returned.

If you check the cost of purchasing these boxes and think about it even if Dr. Kiper has to return the money for the orthotics, he still makes about $36 per imprint sent to him. That's not a bad return on a cheap foam box.
He purchases them like other doctors in huge amounts, gets a discount and makes about $36 per failure.

My advice is to keep trying your own line of orthotic until something better comes along.

john h on 7/29/02 at 08:08 (090886)

Pauline: I have spent approximately $1600 on custom orthotics; rigid, semi-rigid, and soft. Additionally I have probablay spent $400 on many many pairs of over the counter orthotics. Birks still work better than any of them.

Nancy N on 7/30/02 at 09:28 (090982)

You know, I had to wear Thomas heels when I was a kid, for a while. My parents went out and bought me special shoes. Then one day we went back to the doctor (this was a regular family doc) and he said I didn't need them anymore. I've always wondered if that was some sort of precursor sign to PF, especially since my dad told me once when I was in high school that I was 'still' rolling my left foot. He said that's why I had the special shoes when I was about 4 or 5. I do still overpronate somewhat with that foot. Hmmmm.....

Re: Thomas heel

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:51 (092212)

It really was not very effective.
Ed