Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NEW BIRKENSTOCKS SHOES

Posted by kelly on 7/28/02 at 11:56 (090801)

I just got done watching QVC and they had a great sandle. It is a double strap shoe with black around the cork, so it looks like a regular sandle. I know that they have it in black, or white, can't remember the other colors. The Phone number is 1-800-345-1515 and the item # is A14058. The total cost is $102.66. They are having a 2 hr show today at 5:00 eastern, but I thought I'd include the item # for everyone that missed it. Birks are the best, if you have foot problems.

Re: NEW BIRKENSTOCKS SHOES

Sandra G. on 7/28/02 at 17:47 (090830)

I have bilateral PF and have never tried Birkenstocks. Do they work better than orthotics?

kelly on 7/28/02 at 18:35 (090834)

I love birkenstocks. I don't like the orthtics! I just like to be able to put on a pair of shoes, and my feet not hurt at the end of the day. There is a breaking in period for some people. I wore them around the house for a few days, before I had them on for a whole day. Now I can just put on a new pair, and I don't have to break them in. It's soooo supportive, that in the beginning, some peoples feet need to adjust. I love buying them on QVC because they have alot of selection, some of them are ugly and have wild prints or patterns. The one that I put on the post is a normal looking sandle. They also have them on their website http://www.qvc.com . They might be out of alot right now, because they just had three shows on, but if you like a style, just write down the #, and they should be back in stock in a few months. I have spent so much money on shoes, and now that I have major foot problems, and might need surgery, my birks are the only thing that gets me through the day. Try them. They have a few pairs that are under 70.00. Most are in the 100.00 dollor range.

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 20:27 (090854)

Kelly,
Please tell me about the break in period for Birks. I've tried several times to wear them and experience terrible pain. The arch support in the center of the shoe feels like a huge rock pushing against my tendon.

How do you break in a pair that causes so much pain. My thinking is that people with high arches must do better with Birks that those with lower ones.

Someone once posted about getting the Birks wet and trying to wear them, but at the cost of Birks it could be another expensive trial and error situation.

How do you break your's in?

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:33 (090856)

Good question -- I feel that rock in the arch too. Some days I think I have them broken in and other days I can;t stand it. Of course I have so much pain from the PF to start with that maybe I'm not a good candidate for breaking in! The rubber ones for the shower however are great. Mar

Carolyn F. on 7/28/02 at 23:14 (090871)

That rock feeling is very normal. The correct way to break in any orthotic or arch support is to wear them one hour the first day , two the next and so on until you reach a full day. If you skip days inbetween, the process will be very slow. My husband and I bought a pair of the Phase 4 off of the internet and had that rock feeling. Now it is as if they do not even exist. If you try to break yourself in too quickly, you will cause yourself more pain. Take it very slow and consistantly.

Carolyn F. on 7/28/02 at 23:16 (090872)

Which do you think have the most support for PF? I am looking to get a pair, but can't tell the difference. Or is there any?

Mar on 7/29/02 at 09:01 (090890)

I don;t know which have the most support -- my regular podiatrist doesn;t think any of them have enough support. The soft bed ones are a lot more tolerable than the regular ones that's for sure. I bought the ones that the store had in my size!! Mar

Re: NEW BIRKENSTOCKS SHOES for pauline

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:07 (090944)

I have very flat feet, and the way I break them in is to wear them around the house,even while sitting, a few hours a day. The inside lining will eventually mold to your feet,and it will be like having an orthotic, but better. Once they mold your feet you'll love them. All I can say is try them, they are saving me big time! I once bought them and also said the same thing, but since I have flat feet I think I need more time breaking them in. In Birkinstocks, they have many lines to choose from, they all have the same concept, but some have more arch support,some have more padding in the heal. I like the Birkis line. There is one line that has alot more arch,maybe that's the one you tried before.Good luck

Sandra G. on 7/28/02 at 17:47 (090830)

I have bilateral PF and have never tried Birkenstocks. Do they work better than orthotics?

kelly on 7/28/02 at 18:35 (090834)

I love birkenstocks. I don't like the orthtics! I just like to be able to put on a pair of shoes, and my feet not hurt at the end of the day. There is a breaking in period for some people. I wore them around the house for a few days, before I had them on for a whole day. Now I can just put on a new pair, and I don't have to break them in. It's soooo supportive, that in the beginning, some peoples feet need to adjust. I love buying them on QVC because they have alot of selection, some of them are ugly and have wild prints or patterns. The one that I put on the post is a normal looking sandle. They also have them on their website http://www.qvc.com . They might be out of alot right now, because they just had three shows on, but if you like a style, just write down the #, and they should be back in stock in a few months. I have spent so much money on shoes, and now that I have major foot problems, and might need surgery, my birks are the only thing that gets me through the day. Try them. They have a few pairs that are under 70.00. Most are in the 100.00 dollor range.

Pauline on 7/28/02 at 20:27 (090854)

Kelly,
Please tell me about the break in period for Birks. I've tried several times to wear them and experience terrible pain. The arch support in the center of the shoe feels like a huge rock pushing against my tendon.

How do you break in a pair that causes so much pain. My thinking is that people with high arches must do better with Birks that those with lower ones.

Someone once posted about getting the Birks wet and trying to wear them, but at the cost of Birks it could be another expensive trial and error situation.

How do you break your's in?

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:33 (090856)

Good question -- I feel that rock in the arch too. Some days I think I have them broken in and other days I can;t stand it. Of course I have so much pain from the PF to start with that maybe I'm not a good candidate for breaking in! The rubber ones for the shower however are great. Mar

Carolyn F. on 7/28/02 at 23:14 (090871)

That rock feeling is very normal. The correct way to break in any orthotic or arch support is to wear them one hour the first day , two the next and so on until you reach a full day. If you skip days inbetween, the process will be very slow. My husband and I bought a pair of the Phase 4 off of the internet and had that rock feeling. Now it is as if they do not even exist. If you try to break yourself in too quickly, you will cause yourself more pain. Take it very slow and consistantly.

Carolyn F. on 7/28/02 at 23:16 (090872)

Which do you think have the most support for PF? I am looking to get a pair, but can't tell the difference. Or is there any?

Mar on 7/29/02 at 09:01 (090890)

I don;t know which have the most support -- my regular podiatrist doesn;t think any of them have enough support. The soft bed ones are a lot more tolerable than the regular ones that's for sure. I bought the ones that the store had in my size!! Mar

Re: NEW BIRKENSTOCKS SHOES for pauline

kelly on 7/29/02 at 21:07 (090944)

I have very flat feet, and the way I break them in is to wear them around the house,even while sitting, a few hours a day. The inside lining will eventually mold to your feet,and it will be like having an orthotic, but better. Once they mold your feet you'll love them. All I can say is try them, they are saving me big time! I once bought them and also said the same thing, but since I have flat feet I think I need more time breaking them in. In Birkinstocks, they have many lines to choose from, they all have the same concept, but some have more arch support,some have more padding in the heal. I like the Birkis line. There is one line that has alot more arch,maybe that's the one you tried before.Good luck