Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sons feet are slanted in

Posted by Jonnie on 7/28/02 at 15:04 (090813)

I'm not sure how to explain this but I'm going to try my best. I have a 3 year old, and have noticed that he has flat feet. But that is not my concern. I've just started to notice that when he runs he has just a slight limp. Also when he stands straight up the inner side of his ankles seem to bend in alot more than mine or my other 7 year old son. I'm very worried about what this may be. If anyone knows what is happening to his feet, or even what this may be. I will be utterly grateful. If I need to explain anything else feel free to ask.
Thanks...

Re: Sons feet are slanted in

Jonnie on 7/28/02 at 15:17 (090814)

could this be club foot? If there is a way I can post a picture of his feet please let me know.

Pete R on 7/28/02 at 15:54 (090820)

Sounds like Talipes to me, based on the symptoms which are the same as my 4 yr old daughter. She has a mild case which we are currently treating with exercises but will need to monitor this as she grows. Problems stems from the position of her legs / feet in the womb which were 'bent' as she developed. We only noticed due to the angle of her ankle rather than her limping, falling over etc.

The Doc's on this site may well confirm. Type in Talipes into a search engine and the web will bring up loads of info.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:36 (091033)

It is really difficult to speculate on what is going on based on your description alone. I would certainly recommend an evaluation by a podiatrist.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:38 (091037)

The term 'talipes' means foot or foot position/shape. It is not a diagnosis in itself. The two most common types of clubfoot are talipes equinovarus (foot pointed down and in) and talipes equinovalgus (foot pointed up and out). We do not have sufficient information to guess at a diagnosis in this case.
Ed

Kris S. on 9/14/02 at 13:06 (095328)

Can't it be that he over-pronates excessively due to his flat feet?

Jonnie on 7/28/02 at 15:17 (090814)

could this be club foot? If there is a way I can post a picture of his feet please let me know.

Pete R on 7/28/02 at 15:54 (090820)

Sounds like Talipes to me, based on the symptoms which are the same as my 4 yr old daughter. She has a mild case which we are currently treating with exercises but will need to monitor this as she grows. Problems stems from the position of her legs / feet in the womb which were 'bent' as she developed. We only noticed due to the angle of her ankle rather than her limping, falling over etc.

The Doc's on this site may well confirm. Type in Talipes into a search engine and the web will bring up loads of info.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:36 (091033)

It is really difficult to speculate on what is going on based on your description alone. I would certainly recommend an evaluation by a podiatrist.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:38 (091037)

The term 'talipes' means foot or foot position/shape. It is not a diagnosis in itself. The two most common types of clubfoot are talipes equinovarus (foot pointed down and in) and talipes equinovalgus (foot pointed up and out). We do not have sufficient information to guess at a diagnosis in this case.
Ed

Kris S. on 9/14/02 at 13:06 (095328)

Can't it be that he over-pronates excessively due to his flat feet?