Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doc's or anyone - Orthotic's

Posted by Pete R on 7/28/02 at 15:42 (090819)

Have been wearing my 6th pair of orthotics for the last 4 months with no let up in pain. Have been stretching, icing, taping and have had 2 ESWT's with no success.....yet.

In one of the national UK newspaperes there are claims that a London based company have had great success with the 'ortho - tek' orthotic which measures the foot with a laser foot scanner, the information provided is sent to the USA where a computer 'corrects' the foot on screen and works out the specification of the orthotic.

All sounds a bit too good to be true, given the Amercian connections has anyone heard of this process / company, and has it been successful ?

Thanks

Re: Doc's or anyone - Orthotic's

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:34 (090857)

When did you have your 2nd ESWT, Pete? I go for mine on Aug 14 -- I am in agony and am so hoping the 2nd one will work. Mar

Pete R on 7/29/02 at 07:12 (090881)

6th July, in more pain than before which is a bit worrying. The second was given by a different guy to the first treatment since the latter didn't seem to know what he was doing ! Just waiting for something positive. Let me know how you get on

Mar on 7/29/02 at 08:58 (090889)

That's a bit scary -- both that the pain is worse and that the guy didn;t know what he was doing! I'll keep a positive thought for you and hope for us both. Mar

Rachel W. on 7/30/02 at 11:33 (090993)

Pete,

Did you go private.
I have an appointment with BUPA on 6th August as I have had no success with the NHS. I wonder whether they will suggest ESWT.

Rachel.

Re: Rachel W

Pete R on 7/30/02 at 12:29 (091001)

I've had enough problems with private treatment let alone the NHS who are clueless with PF. Even many private practioners have not heard of ESWT which is a bit worrying given its success (supposedly, but not for me so far) in Germany and the US.

As many people have already shown on this site you have too investigate yourself and take any appropriate treatment that exists. I've found it virtually impossible to find a Pod in the Midlands educated enough in PF, and have had to travel to London.

If you need details of the ESWT people I've seen / know about, email me at (email removed).

Meanwhile wish you luck at BUPA. Why don't you mention ESWt and see what reaction you get !!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:33 (091030)

If it sounds too good to be true then....... it probably is. Optical scanners capture the shape of an object such as the foot by digitizing the information and storing the info. electronically. The main reason to use an optical scanner is convenience and speed. The means of 'capture' whether it be plaster of paris or optical scanning does not necessarily guarantee a better end product. I am not familialr with the specific product you are mentioning.

Make sure that what you are treating is PF beyond doubt since PF usually responds to the treatments you have had. Failure to respond suggests that one look again at the diagnosis. Have you had a second opinion?
Ed

Mar on 7/28/02 at 20:34 (090857)

When did you have your 2nd ESWT, Pete? I go for mine on Aug 14 -- I am in agony and am so hoping the 2nd one will work. Mar

Pete R on 7/29/02 at 07:12 (090881)

6th July, in more pain than before which is a bit worrying. The second was given by a different guy to the first treatment since the latter didn't seem to know what he was doing ! Just waiting for something positive. Let me know how you get on

Mar on 7/29/02 at 08:58 (090889)

That's a bit scary -- both that the pain is worse and that the guy didn;t know what he was doing! I'll keep a positive thought for you and hope for us both. Mar

Rachel W. on 7/30/02 at 11:33 (090993)

Pete,

Did you go private.
I have an appointment with BUPA on 6th August as I have had no success with the NHS. I wonder whether they will suggest ESWT.

Rachel.

Re: Rachel W

Pete R on 7/30/02 at 12:29 (091001)

I've had enough problems with private treatment let alone the NHS who are clueless with PF. Even many private practioners have not heard of ESWT which is a bit worrying given its success (supposedly, but not for me so far) in Germany and the US.

As many people have already shown on this site you have too investigate yourself and take any appropriate treatment that exists. I've found it virtually impossible to find a Pod in the Midlands educated enough in PF, and have had to travel to London.

If you need details of the ESWT people I've seen / know about, email me at (email removed).

Meanwhile wish you luck at BUPA. Why don't you mention ESWt and see what reaction you get !!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/02 at 19:33 (091030)

If it sounds too good to be true then....... it probably is. Optical scanners capture the shape of an object such as the foot by digitizing the information and storing the info. electronically. The main reason to use an optical scanner is convenience and speed. The means of 'capture' whether it be plaster of paris or optical scanning does not necessarily guarantee a better end product. I am not familialr with the specific product you are mentioning.

Make sure that what you are treating is PF beyond doubt since PF usually responds to the treatments you have had. Failure to respond suggests that one look again at the diagnosis. Have you had a second opinion?
Ed