Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back from vacation..............and a few messages for some of you!

Posted by Kathy G on 7/30/02 at 09:23 (090980)

and we had a wonderful time! The weather was great and we got to swim all but a couple of days. Three days we swam in both the lake and the bay. Actually, David (my husband)and the rest of the family swam in the lake, the ocean and the bay one day. I didn't want to go to the ocean, so I dropped them off and picked them up. I love to swim but I'm a real wimp when it comes to belly-boarding since I wiped out badly a few years ago. So when we used to go to the Coast Guard Beach, I would go out and swim beyond the waves. Since the water is so cold, I wouldn't stay in the water more than a half hour or so, and the rest of the family would still be riding the waves. I'd end up sitting on the beach, under the umbrella, not really enjoying myself at all. I'm not a 'beach' person. I like to go to the beach and swim and then leave. Or I go to the beach and walk but usually early or late in the day when it's cooler. (Well, I did that before foot problems!) I hate to be in the sun for any amount of time. So a few years ago, I got smart and decided to just skip the 'big beach' as my daughter used to call it. I drop everyone off, go back to the house, and and sit in the beautiful back yard and read my book and luxuriate in the quiet!

It was interesting getting up to date on everyone here. Carole, I just love your house. It looks exactly like I would picture a house in New Orleans to look! I just love french doors! And I'm so happy that you're getting to buy the furniture, too. What an exciting time for you!

Brian G - I'm so glad that all worked out for you at long last! Your perseverance paid off. I'm so happy for you.

John h - Would you believe that in eight years of going to the Cape, we've never been to Falmouth? We go over the Sagamore Bridge and the only times I've been over the Bourne Bridge, which is what you take to get to Falmouth, was when I got lost getting on to the Cape or off the Cape. Actually, I always get on OK but getting off is a real challenge. There's this incredibly congested traffic circle with all these exits going off of it and the first few years (I'm ashamed to say how many), I got lost trying to leave. A few times I ended up back on the Cape and once I got stuck in a five mile backup. It took me an hour to get back to the circle and then I took the wrong exit again! I felt like Charlie on the MTA! This year, I'm proud to say, I got off on my first try! I just needed a little practice!

Margie - Welcome to our boards! Try not to get too discouraged. We all know what you're going through. As someone said, these boards are a kind of 'therapy' because you can come here anytime and vent and find sympathetic people who've experienced what you're going through. Don't feel that you're a wimp or a complainer! It gets very discouraging but there is light at the end of the tunnel and as someone else said, 90% of PF cases heal completely. So, hang in there!

To everyone else, especially those suffering from extreme heat and humdidity, hope you can all stay cool. It's only in the nineties in New Hampshire but my sister in Annapolis called last night and it was still 100 degrees at 5:30PM!

Got to get back to the real world and go food shopping and catch up on errands and washes!

Re: Back from vacation..............and a few messages for some of you!

john h on 7/30/02 at 10:43 (090989)

Kathy: I guess the Cape has changed a lot since I lived there. Winter on the cape and there was no one there except the natives and us fly boys. Summer brouhgt a new group of vacationers every week. Most of those old giant homes seemed to always be empty. I enjoyed my year there. My roommate and I rented a lovely cape cod type home. He married the Landlords daughter and they received the house as a wedding gift and I was out of a house..

Necee on 7/30/02 at 12:33 (091002)

Welcome back Kathy!!
Sounds like you had a great time. I've spent my July vacation from work just hanging out with friends, and doing some work around the house.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: happy, nervous, and to-do lists longer than the phone book

Carole C in NOLA on 7/30/02 at 16:07 (091016)

Kathy, thanks for the compliments on my house! Things are getting pretty exciting. I've been trying to line up insurance (not easy in this area, but I finally got two companies to talk to me and another promises to call back).

The mortgage company needs my latest bank statement, that I got this week (the previous two were fine THEN, but they are no longer the latest).

The sellers have another day to tell me if they will agree to get the A/C serviced and five other very minor repairs.

THEN we can schedule the appraisal.

I still don't know the name of the company with which they have the termite contract, so I can get it switched over.

As you can tell, I'm getting a little 'twitchy' about the details. My realtor told me today in a calm, professional way, 'Don't worry, dahlin'! I'm taking care of things!' Thank goodness someone is. The 'dahlin' is just the way they all talk around here.

I've been doing a whole lot of packing and throwing out of things, and disassembling some metal shelving so that I can get rid of it. I had to buy a reversible drill to do that, since my ex put the shelving together with a power tool. Even with the Black and Decker top of the line cordless reversible driver/drill that I bought, some of the nuts and bolts can't be loosened. I guess I could try soaking them in WD40 and see if that helps.

I'm starting to physically feel the impact of doing all this stuff. My feet are starting to have some small twinges (but I hate that because it brings back bad memories). I think what really 'got' my feet was when I answered the phone in the middle of the night last night. I ran to it barefoot out of a deep sleep, not generally an advisable thing to do.

My legs and thighs and back and arms ache moderately too. My hands have 'boo-boo's' here and there from trying to hold the metal shelving while I drill. My mother and Bobbie (former steady date) and other friends have all told me DON'T OVERDO! I think they expect the 'packing fairy' to do all my packing for me. I am trying to work at a steady pace, but there is a lot to get done. I move in a month, on the 30th, and my calendar is packed after the 15th so I'd like to be ready to go by then.

I am so happy and thrilled and nervous about this move! LOL

Carole C

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 21:14 (091054)

Kathy, thanks for the nice words. It's been a huge relief to finally get approved for SSD. I hear that some people feel bad when it happens, that they will never be able to work again. I don't feel that way at all. I just feel very gratefull that I don't have torture my heels, on the job, any longer. I paid my dues, even longer than necessary. Thank god the SSA is finally approving people with chonic pain. Glad your vacation went well.

BrianG

Re: To: Carole

Necee on 7/31/02 at 00:08 (091072)

Now when you get moved into this new house, I want you to have a phone installed right beside your bed. No more nights of jumping out of bed and having to run to answer the phone.

Happy trails......

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 05:17 (091086)

I already checked... unlike my apartment, there is a phone outlet right by where my bed will be in the house! :)

Thanks for caring! The only other phone outlet in the house that I could find is in the den/kitchen. I may have some more put in.

Carole C

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 07:23 (091096)

Carole - just a suggestion - get a cordless phone. Then you won't need more outlets.

Barbara S on 7/31/02 at 07:46 (091102)

Carole They have many style of cordless phones where you can add extra handsets without a phone jack. Panasonic makes a coupl of them one you can add up to 4 phones and one you can add up to 8. We have one and they work great. You can answer a call and if it is for someone else there is a hold button and then you can intercom them. This is great in our house as it saves me extra steps. Just thought I'd let you know. Have fun moving into your new home,but take it easy. God Bless Barbara S.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 08:02 (091106)

Thanks for the suggestions, Barbara and Wendy. I'll definitely consider a cordless phone.

Carole C

john h on 7/30/02 at 10:43 (090989)

Kathy: I guess the Cape has changed a lot since I lived there. Winter on the cape and there was no one there except the natives and us fly boys. Summer brouhgt a new group of vacationers every week. Most of those old giant homes seemed to always be empty. I enjoyed my year there. My roommate and I rented a lovely cape cod type home. He married the Landlords daughter and they received the house as a wedding gift and I was out of a house..

Necee on 7/30/02 at 12:33 (091002)

Welcome back Kathy!!
Sounds like you had a great time. I've spent my July vacation from work just hanging out with friends, and doing some work around the house.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: happy, nervous, and to-do lists longer than the phone book

Carole C in NOLA on 7/30/02 at 16:07 (091016)

Kathy, thanks for the compliments on my house! Things are getting pretty exciting. I've been trying to line up insurance (not easy in this area, but I finally got two companies to talk to me and another promises to call back).

The mortgage company needs my latest bank statement, that I got this week (the previous two were fine THEN, but they are no longer the latest).

The sellers have another day to tell me if they will agree to get the A/C serviced and five other very minor repairs.

THEN we can schedule the appraisal.

I still don't know the name of the company with which they have the termite contract, so I can get it switched over.

As you can tell, I'm getting a little 'twitchy' about the details. My realtor told me today in a calm, professional way, 'Don't worry, dahlin'! I'm taking care of things!' Thank goodness someone is. The 'dahlin' is just the way they all talk around here.

I've been doing a whole lot of packing and throwing out of things, and disassembling some metal shelving so that I can get rid of it. I had to buy a reversible drill to do that, since my ex put the shelving together with a power tool. Even with the Black and Decker top of the line cordless reversible driver/drill that I bought, some of the nuts and bolts can't be loosened. I guess I could try soaking them in WD40 and see if that helps.

I'm starting to physically feel the impact of doing all this stuff. My feet are starting to have some small twinges (but I hate that because it brings back bad memories). I think what really 'got' my feet was when I answered the phone in the middle of the night last night. I ran to it barefoot out of a deep sleep, not generally an advisable thing to do.

My legs and thighs and back and arms ache moderately too. My hands have 'boo-boo's' here and there from trying to hold the metal shelving while I drill. My mother and Bobbie (former steady date) and other friends have all told me DON'T OVERDO! I think they expect the 'packing fairy' to do all my packing for me. I am trying to work at a steady pace, but there is a lot to get done. I move in a month, on the 30th, and my calendar is packed after the 15th so I'd like to be ready to go by then.

I am so happy and thrilled and nervous about this move! LOL

Carole C

BrianG on 7/30/02 at 21:14 (091054)

Kathy, thanks for the nice words. It's been a huge relief to finally get approved for SSD. I hear that some people feel bad when it happens, that they will never be able to work again. I don't feel that way at all. I just feel very gratefull that I don't have torture my heels, on the job, any longer. I paid my dues, even longer than necessary. Thank god the SSA is finally approving people with chonic pain. Glad your vacation went well.

BrianG

Necee on 7/31/02 at 00:08 (091072)

Now when you get moved into this new house, I want you to have a phone installed right beside your bed. No more nights of jumping out of bed and having to run to answer the phone.

Happy trails......

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 05:17 (091086)

I already checked... unlike my apartment, there is a phone outlet right by where my bed will be in the house! :)

Thanks for caring! The only other phone outlet in the house that I could find is in the den/kitchen. I may have some more put in.

Carole C

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 07:23 (091096)

Carole - just a suggestion - get a cordless phone. Then you won't need more outlets.

Barbara S on 7/31/02 at 07:46 (091102)

Carole They have many style of cordless phones where you can add extra handsets without a phone jack. Panasonic makes a coupl of them one you can add up to 4 phones and one you can add up to 8. We have one and they work great. You can answer a call and if it is for someone else there is a hold button and then you can intercom them. This is great in our house as it saves me extra steps. Just thought I'd let you know. Have fun moving into your new home,but take it easy. God Bless Barbara S.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 08:02 (091106)

Thanks for the suggestions, Barbara and Wendy. I'll definitely consider a cordless phone.

Carole C